Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for work in Sydney...from UK!

Looking for work in Sydney...from UK!

Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Elli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for work in Sydney...from UK!

I hope someone can help with some advice. AFter a glorious year in Sydney I'm desperate to move out there but since I don't have enough points for an indepedent skilled migration visa, I'll need a sponsor for the 457 business visa.

Since my original working holiday visa expired in Sept I'm now back in London missing Oz lifestyle. I have no choice but to seek employment from here. Does anybody know of any recruitment companies which find employment for British citizens in Australia (charity/media/marketing)? I almost got sponsorship in Sydney but the empployer pulled out - Long shot, but it's worth a try! Any tips much appreciated

Cheers,

Last edited by Elli; Nov 20th 2004 at 3:53 pm. Reason: forgot info
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for work in Sydney...from UK!

Originally Posted by Elli
I hope someone can help with some advice. AFter a glorious year in Sydney I'm desperate to move out there but since I don't have enough points for an indepedent skilled migration visa, I'll need a sponsor for the 457 business visa.

Since my original working holiday visa expired in Sept I'm now back in London missing Oz lifestyle. I have no choice but to seek employment from here. Does anybody know of any recruitment companies which find employment for British citizens in Australia (charity/media/marketing)? I almost got sponsorship in Sydney but the empployer pulled out - Long shot, but it's worth a try! Any tips much appreciated

Cheers,
Hays and Hudson are global recruitment companies in most career types. I have been given the name of someone from Hudson's London office to contact about accountancy jobs (not much good to you but it does give you an example). I am going skilled independent, but if I am really lucky it may be possible to find someone to pay my costs not just get some background info / put feelers out for when I arrive.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
It is a long shot. Ask yourself why an Australian employer would hire an overseas person (with an unknown background) AND go through all the hassles and delays of sponsorship when he can just hire the Australian next in line for the job.

The employer has normally got to be desperate to be interested in sponsorship. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's a reality check.

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Elli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is a long shot. Ask yourself why an Australian employer would hire an overseas person (with an unknown background) AND go through all the hassles and delays of sponsorship when he can just hire the Australian next in line for the job.

The employer has normally got to be desperate to be interested in sponsorship. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's a reality check.

Jeremy
Absolutely, however there are UK citizens who have been able to gain sponsorship through such channels. I'll continue researching nonetheless. Thanks for your feedback Jeremy.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,
http://seek.com.au was recommended to me by a mate. I have spent many hours searching with google, trying different search criteria etc. It led me to various job sites, many of which seem to carry the same jobs.

We're moving to Perth in January and though I'm going on a spouse visa, the process of getting a job won't be all that different. I'm a Delphi programmer, and was lucky to stumble on a company in Perth with a good match between requirements and my skills/experience. A conference call and a trip over to meet them resulted in a job offer. I didn't need sponsoring obviously, but there are companies out there that will, you just need to "wow" them sufficiently.

You shouldn't limit your searching to companies you find job adverts for either. If you find a company that might be interested in your skills, find an email contact on their web page (even if you can only find a sales contact!), and send them a brief introductory email.

You never know, they may be /about/ to advertise, they may already be advertising. In my case the company had been trying to fill the position for 6 months or more, then I came along "out of the blue".

The moral of the story is to keep on trying until you get what you want.
Good luck with the job hunting.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, however there are UK citizens who have been able to gain sponsorship through such channels. I'll continue researching nonetheless. Thanks for your feedback Jeremy.
Yes there are - but it really depends on circumstances.

If you're a nurse (or another healthcare professional), for example, it might be possible - but then a 'visa smart' nurse normally goes for a migration visa anyway and doesn't need sponsorship.

Another time employers sponsor is that if you've got special skills they can't find locally, eg fluency in a particular language. Or you're willing to work in a remote area.

A further source of 457 visa holders are those transferred to Australia by their employers.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just a long shot.

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Harsh? Yes. Reality check? Yes.
Overly negative? Yes, that too....

The background of someone from overseas is no more unknown than that of an Aussie resident. An employer can only go by the CV, references, and their own judgement. Depending on the job, skills and experience can be tested using a wide variety of aptitude tests.

Being desperate /might/ be the reason for going through the hassles and delays, however it is also possible that they will go through this in order to get the right person for the job. They may not be able to find someone suitably qualified locally, or it may be that the overseas person is better qualified than the local.

It's not going to be easy for Elli to achieve the dream, but with hard work and perseverance it /is/ possible.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 5:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Harsh? Yes. Reality check? Yes.
Overly negative? Yes, that too....

The background of someone from overseas is no more unknown than that of an Aussie resident. An employer can only go by the CV, references, and their own judgement. Depending on the job, skills and experience can be tested using a wide variety of aptitude tests.
Very few Australian employers are going to be interested in going to the lengths of aptitude testing someone living in the UK.

And I beg to differ with you, even new migrants who don't have the sponsorship issue to contend with, do have to overcome the problem of the fact most Australian employers will not necessarily be familiar how their qualifications and work experience translate to Australian conditions.

Being desperate /might/ be the reason for going through the hassles and delays, however it is also possible that they will go through this in order to get the right person for the job. They may not be able to find someone suitably qualified locally, or it may be that the overseas person is better qualified than the local.
If employer has two people able to do the job, one local and available, the other in the UK without a visa, who do you think is going to get the job?

It's not going to be easy for Elli to achieve the dream, but with hard work and perseverance it /is/ possible.
It's also 'possible' to win the lottery. Finding a job in Australia from the UK doesn't fall into quite that category, but unless one falls into the categories I've mentioned it's downright hard and there's no guarantee that even the most enormous effort will produce a result.

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

I think it is a long shot but worth a go.

I have recently returned from Sydney where I had three pre arranged interviews (one via agent, one via an employers web site and one via an old friend who works for the company)

I had three job offers all willing to spoonsor me. I am an architect with good experience which obviously counted for me. I am probably accepting the job via an old friend's firm as they seemed a friendly firm with good experience of both getting a temporary visa but also then helping to have that altered at a later stage to a PR.

I had to go PR because of the change in points in April as we get no points for my wife as she has been a full time mum for the last four years.

It realise that things are still not super and I only have a temporary visa, but if the worst came to the worst and I can't get PR then we will have had a great experience.

Good Luck