Reload this Page >

Looking for some help re: moving to perth

Looking for some help re: moving to perth

Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

nstoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for some help re: moving to perth

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some help please. My husband and I are looking into moving to perth however, have never visited before. We currently own our house in scotland so we are looking at putting this on the market next month. My husband is a qualified roofer (metal sheets) and I am a qualified social worker.
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on good suburbs that has good schools (wanting to start family soon), reasonable priced housing and good job prospects.
I was also wondering if we would be best to ship all our stuff over or to buy it over in perth and also wondering if we would be best to rent over in australia before buying a house.
Would my husband be able to secure a job before we move to perth?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nicola
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for some help re: moving to perth

Hi you don't state where abouts in the Perth area you want to stay as it's a big area.
House prices can be viewed as expensive compared to the Uk and with the exchange rate being so bad at the moment it would be prudent to rent for the first 6 months at least.

For example the average Scottish house is worth £160,000 where as the average Perth home is around $400,000 although there are some new build home and land packages around $350,000.

Renting can cost upwards of $300+ per week depending on the size of home and location

Job prospects tend to be better in Oz although I'm no expert and the wages seem to be better for comparable employment. The cost of living is alot higher though.

The best info I can give is to spend a few hours going through posts on the forum as there is a lot of good information available.

I've been to Perth twice and love it. Great city, great parks, lovely beaches and they cater for kids really well.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

House prices are EXPENSIVE and the cost of living is different.. If you are coming without jobs then I would make sure you have at least 6 months living money and set up money behind you... it can take a while to find a job... and some tradies have difficulty making contacts and getting started...

Are your qualifications recognised here?

Perth is a HUGE area... with big differences in house prices depending where you live... Renting is pretty much essential so you can get a feel for the area you live in... we could have brought WRONG had we not lived in the area.. listened to the locals and done some throrough research...

As for never having been before... Thats what we did... with 4 children in tow we couldnt afford a validation trip or recky... could have been a disaster, but it is the BEST thing we have ever done for ourselves as a family and for our children...
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:07 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

for $400k you wont get a decent house near half decent schools. Our tiny but renovated 3x1 is going on the market from 469k and we are hoping to move to a nicer area as we are also starting a family and think its a bit too scruffy here and the schools in this catchment are naff. We are expecting to pay around $600k for something what would be a step up but still not able to afford to buy in a great area.... as I would like
bring LOTS of money
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

400$ will get you a half decent house in a half decent neighbourhood if youre prepared to look a bit south .... Rockingham and surrounds... For instance... i KNOW a lot of people on here slate the area, but there's an equal number of us here who live it, love it, are quite happy and have happy families here... On the whole the private schools arent as oversubscribed as north of the river.. Easy transport to perth ... Good commu ity sevices reasonable shopping EXCELLENT hospital
Old Jan 11th 2011, 10:43 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

we are looking south for our new place - you deffo get more for your money down that way should hear how everyone slates us though when I tell them
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol... Suck it Up Princess.. its the price you sometimes pay for having some sense and paying less!!!!!

I can live with it
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Kristar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nstoney
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some help please. My husband and I are looking into moving to perth however, have never visited before. We currently own our house in scotland so we are looking at putting this on the market next month. My husband is a qualified roofer (metal sheets) and I am a qualified social worker.
I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on good suburbs that has good schools (wanting to start family soon), reasonable priced housing and good job prospects.
I was also wondering if we would be best to ship all our stuff over or to buy it over in perth and also wondering if we would be best to rent over in australia before buying a house.
Would my husband be able to secure a job before we move to perth?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nicola
I dont know much about Perth, I am looking to move to Melbourne myself, but in regards to shipping all your goods i am planning to use Bishops move. They offer specific information on moving to perth, this may help. http://residential.bishopsmove.com/m...alia/index.htm
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Sandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eddie007
lol... Suck it Up Princess.. its the price you sometimes pay for having some sense and paying less!!!!!

I can live with it
Totally agree, the sensible ones must be this side.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Have job offer in Perth, fly out mid March, looking at renting v.near the city to begin with as its easier for first 3 months of my job. But looking at prices we have more or less settled with Rockingham to buy permanently, obviously will check out the area when I get there. I know a few folk in Perth, they all say its nice, just a bit far from the city, suppose that depends if you have to work in the city centre (I dont). But property much more affordable than Northern areas and there seem to be plenty 4/5 bedroom houses under $380k.
Will let you know what happens!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Have job offer in Perth, fly out mid March, looking at renting v.near the city to begin with as its easier for first 3 months of my job. But looking at prices we have more or less settled with Rockingham to buy permanently, obviously will check out the area when I get there. I know a few folk in Perth, they all say its nice, just a bit far from the city, suppose that depends if you have to work in the city centre (I dont). But property much more affordable than Northern areas and there seem to be plenty 4/5 bedroom houses under $380k.
Rent first.... Get to know the area REALLY well... There are some pockets that shouldnt be brought in....
Old Jan 14th 2011, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Rent first.... Get to know the area REALLY well... There are some pockets that shouldnt be brought in....
Totally .... don't buy anywhere without renting and investigating first!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-GT-S8500/S8500BWJE8 Bada/1.0 Dolfin/2.0 NexPlayer/3.0 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1 OPN-B)

ta for that......which areas are the ones to avoid?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-GT-S8500/S8500BWJE8 Bada/1.0 Dolfin/2.0 NexPlayer/3.0 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1 OPN-B)

ta for that......which areas are the ones to avoid?
Not whole areas with names... But smaller groups of streets... Within an area... Come and rent in the arae and explore...

And don't take anyone elses word for it... When it comes to forming opinions... Make your own, based on your needs, preferences and lifestyle...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
for $400k you wont get a decent house near half decent schools. Our tiny but renovated 3x1 is going on the market from 469k and we are hoping to move to a nicer area as we are also starting a family and think its a bit too scruffy here and the schools in this catchment are naff. We are expecting to pay around $600k for something what would be a step up but still not able to afford to buy in a great area.... as I would like
bring LOTS of money
With a budget of $600k, you would be able to buy in a suburb like Duncraig. Not too far out, not far from the beach, transport links, good primary schools (3) and a good high school. Very good private school in Duncraig, if you put your baby's name down as soon as he/she is born, plus others around. You might get more house for your money in the Rockingham area, but you are much further out from the city and would need to budget for private school fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.