Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for secretarial work on the GC/Brisbane

Looking for secretarial work on the GC/Brisbane

Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:57 am
Just Joined

PeachesG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for secretarial work on the GC/Brisbane

Anyone else had real trouble finding secretarial or admin work on the Gold Coast or in Brisbane. I am beginning to think it is me - (too old 45! or too English!) Have sent off dozens of applications, occasionally get an interview, but nothing on from that. I am beginning to think that we'll only ever have one income over here - husband found work after about 4 months of applications. One job I applied for in Brisbane apparently had over 700 applications! Feeling quite disheartened at the mo. Any ideas/advice?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for secretarial work on the GC/Brisbane

Originally Posted by PeachesG
Anyone else had real trouble finding secretarial or admin work on the Gold Coast or in Brisbane. I am beginning to think it is me - (too old 45! or too English!) Have sent off dozens of applications, occasionally get an interview, but nothing on from that. I am beginning to think that we'll only ever have one income over here - husband found work after about 4 months of applications. One job I applied for in Brisbane apparently had over 700 applications! Feeling quite disheartened at the mo. Any ideas/advice?

Hi Peaches

No advice I am afraid as I am pretty much in the same boat. I have been here almost 5 months and have made a complete meal out of finding a job. I have done quite a bit of temporary - most of it complete crap and feel very disheartened. Really did not do my homework and concentrated on selling my flat and getting my visa - big mistake but---. All I can say is keep plodding!

Sending you some karma.

Sue
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about just doing some temp work for now, sometimes they can become something more permanent.

I had a two week temping assignment at a legal office, and they offered me a permanent job. I didn't take it, as I really didn't want to do legal full time, having done it for 8 years in the UK. I know a few people though who have secured a full time job from temping assignments.

Just a thought.

Good luck
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Hi Peaches

No advice I am afraid as I am pretty much in the same boat. I have been here almost 5 months and have made a complete meal out of finding a job. I have done quite a bit of temporary - most of it complete crap and feel very disheartened. Really did not do my homework and concentrated on selling my flat and getting my visa - big mistake but---. All I can say is keep plodding!

Sending you some karma.

Sue
Thanks Sue. I will keep trying. It just gets very frustrating, as I am sure you know! A friend of mine is a hairdresser and she has not been able to find a proper job either and I thought hairdressers were really needed.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sassie
Have you thought about just doing some temp work for now, sometimes they can become something more permanent.

I had a two week temping assignment at a legal office, and they offered me a permanent job. I didn't take it, as I really didn't want to do legal full time, having done it for 8 years in the UK. I know a few people though who have secured a full time job from temping assignments.

Just a thought.

Good luck
Hi Sassie

Yes, I do a bit of temporary work sometimes, but it is very occasional and not something that gives us much security (or income). I would jump at a temporary job that turned permanent, but no such luck!!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I can't offer any advice but just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find something soon.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I can't offer any advice but just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find something soon.
Thanks TeresaG.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

I struggled for a while as well, was worried it was my age, nationality, etc. I have years of legal experience, but decided I wanted a change so applied for all sorts of other admin jobs without any luck. I even took my DofB off my CV because apparently you're not obliged to put it on... I also only wanted school hours, so was only answering part-time ads. In the end I was offered two jobs at once including the one I'm in now (solicitors' office in Burleigh Heads [I know, but beggars can't be choosers and I do love it ] So stick in there, Peaches. Your years of experience will be an advantage to you in the end. Best of luck. Michelle x
Old Dec 13th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Have you tried targetting the area you are particularly interested in? e.g., I knew I wanted to work in a University so kept looking at the university job sites. As a previous reply said, I think it would be really good if you did some temping because they really value Australian experience here (I know, I know ) and contacts really matter. Talk to neighbours, ask around, don't be shy. Once you have proved yourself in a job you're away so keep at it!