Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LOOKING FOR PRICES

LOOKING FOR PRICES

Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default LOOKING FOR PRICES

Where can i find prices for things like

Gas/ elec
food bills
mobile etc

Going to Victoria.

cheers
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOOKING FOR PRICES

Originally Posted by rackcatt

Gas/ elec
food bills
mobile etc

Going to Victoria.

cheers
Some in this thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699557

or just look on the suppliers websites, like coles/woolies for food, AGL for gas, Optus for mobile etc, google is your friend
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

thanks very much.x
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rackcatt

Gas/ elec
food bills
mobile etc

Going to Victoria.

cheers
For electricity bills, it can really pay to check what is available.

My last bill was 2680 kWh for $545.72, this would equal $2,188 if annualised.
One of the switch comparison websites show an estimated annual bill of between $2,220 and $2,977 for that exact usage.
They show my actual supplier at a cost of $2,273.
For some prices when looking at an average of 3,000 kWh per quarter:
  • Victoria shows: $2,350 was the cheapest and $3,300 was the most expensive.
  • Queensland shows: $2,475 was the cheapest and $3,320 was the most expensive.

Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

wow... I thought our electricity bill for $580 for a family of 7 was bad enough...
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

3000 units in a quarter

That's very high. Constant air con useage?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by eddie007
wow... I thought our electricity bill for $580 for a family of 7 was bad enough...
Oops, those prices were for a year

Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steen1976
3000 units in a quarter

That's very high. Constant air con useage?
Very little air con actually, not too hot round here.

But... a plethora of electronics, pool pump, etc.

It would be interesting to see how much we could cut down if we tried.

We actually use about double the average Australian kwh's
www.abcdiamond.com/../average-household-electricity-consumption

Back in September I checked my actual usage using each States prices:

ACT was cheapest with between $1,528 and $1,793
TAS being the most expensive with between $2,084 and $2,798
Annual totals

Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Very little air con actually, not too hot round here.

But... a plethora of electronics, pool pump, etc.

It would be interesting to see how much we could cut down if we tried.

We actually use about double the average Australian kwh's
www.abcdiamond.com/../average-household-electricity-consumption

Back in September I checked my actual usage using each States prices:

ACT was cheapest with between $1,528 and $1,793
TAS being the most expensive with between $2,084 and $2,798
Annual totals
Pleased to see that was for a quarter mind and not a year as that was a scary thought

Anyway the electricity companies back here are giving away electricity monitors for free. It's a very good way of keeping your costs down. I spent the first couple of days just going around switching stuff on and off to see how much they use. It's horrible watching the monitor when you have the dryer, dishwasher, oven and kettle going!

Not sure if you can get them there or what price they would be (can't be too expensive if being dished out for free here) but I think it would be a very good investment if you want to cut down your usage.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steen1976
Pleased to see that was for a quarter mind and not a year as that was a scary thought

Anyway the electricity companies back here are giving away electricity monitors for free. It's a very good way of keeping your costs down. I spent the first couple of days just going around switching stuff on and off to see how much they use. It's horrible watching the monitor when you have the dryer, dishwasher, oven and kettle going!

Not sure if you can get them there or what price they would be (can't be too expensive if being dished out for free here) but I think it would be a very good investment if you want to cut down your usage.
We got them for free too. But as consumers, we must then do something about it. I kept reading mine; showing say about 79c, and then seeing someone else's at 5c, it made me wonder... But all I did was work out why, and then accept it..

Ours starts to beep when a certain threshold is reached, ours was set to $2 per hour, so almost every time the kettle went on, my unit beeped, with the kettle pushing the usage over the limit.

I've just checked some average costs, and these are my most expensive estimated Monthly Electric usages:

$51.47 Personal computer (based on 3 PCs and 2 laptops)
    $34.31 320 - 440 litre 2 Door (frost free)
    $10.98 140 - 220 litre Chest Freezer
    $10.29 3x PVR's on 24hr running
    $ 5.43 3x TV's

That totals $340 pq on its own.

Fridges and Freezers account for about 33% of my power usage.
    More energy efficient ones may be better for me...