Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking at Perth as a possible relocate - whats you opinion?

Looking at Perth as a possible relocate - whats you opinion?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default Looking at Perth as a possible relocate - whats you opinion?

I'm living in the Bahamas right now but I'm seriously looking at relocating to Australia. Not expecting a perfect place and I don't have tourist shades on. Just looking for somewhere half decent without tons of crime, racism and poor infrastructure. looking for 1st world.

Perth looks like a sunny, very clean and well organized city. It looks modern. I was looking at the East coast more ...Queensland area but from all the videos I have seen it just didn't feel right. Then I started watching and researching the Perth area. Really looks more appealing to me. Not sure why. Maybe it resembles places I'm used to traveling to in the states like Florida. ...although cleaner.

what is your take on Perth. I've read lots of topics but was wondering if there are any of you who have spent some time living in the U.S.? I've spent most of my life in this area and I guess I have become more Americanized. Although in the Bahamas we still follow British laws and we are part of the Commonwealth. I also spent some 5 years schooling in the UK and still have family and very good friends there. I know there are quit a few British people living in the U.S. and love it there.

what are your opinions of Perth. Thanks.

p.s. not looking for great nightlife just a life.

Last edited by BeachBassist; Feb 12th 2009 at 5:21 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at Perth as a possible relocate - whats you opinion?

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I'm living in the Bahamas right now but I'm seriously looking at relocating to Australia. Not expecting a perfect place and I don't have tourist shades on. Just looking for somewhere half decent without tons of crime, racism and poor infrastructure. looking for 1st world.

Perth looks like a sunny, very clean and well organized city. It looks modern. I was looking at the East coast more ...Queensland area but from all the videos I have seen it just didn't feel right. Then I started watching and researching the Perth area. Really looks more appealing to me. Not sure why. Maybe it resembles places I'm used to traveling to in the states like Florida. ...although cleaner.

what is your take on Perth. I've read lots of topics but was wondering if there are any of you who have spent some time living in the U.S.? I've spent most of my life in this area and I guess I have become more Americanized. Although in the Bahamas we still follow British laws and we are part of the Commonwealth. I also spent some 5 years schooling in the UK and still have family and very good friends there. I know there are quit a few British people living in the U.S. and love it there.

what are your opinions of Perth. Thanks.

p.s. not looking for great nightlife just a life.
Before you decide whether Perth would be good to live in, do you know if you are eligble to get a visa for Aus?
www.immi.gov.au
Old Feb 12th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Before you decide whether Perth would be good to live in, do you know if you are eligble to get a visa for Aus?
www.immi.gov.au
I'm eligible to get citizenship. applying right now for it.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

You've opened a can of worms with that question, Perth's kinda like vegemite - you either love it or hate it.

How quiet do you like life? that's the main question! if you like it quiet Perth might just be for you
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
You've opened a can of worms with that question, Perth's kinda like vegemite - you either love it or hate it.

How quiet do you like life? that's the main question! if you like it quiet Perth might just be for you
I like Marmite. kinda addicted to it.

I like nature and can live in the country once I can get to a city every now and then.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I like Marmite. kinda addicted to it.

I like nature and can live in the country once I can get to a city every now and then.
So... are you addicted to Perth then?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
So... are you addicted to Perth then?
don't know yet. haven't been there. been to Adelaide.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:49 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Unlike previous poster, I live in Perth and would be happy to give you my unbiased opinion of it here, what would you like to know?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Unlike previous poster, I live in Perth and would be happy to give you my unbiased opinion of it here, what would you like to know?
Thanks. I hear it's boring from other posters. but is that just to say that the night life isn't as happening as say the east coast?

also heard it was isolated but I figure with a population of 1.5 million it can't be that bad living there.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I hear it's boring from other posters. but is that just to say that the night life isn't as happening as say the east coast?

also heard it was isolated but I figure with a population of 1.5 million it can't be that bad living there.
I also live in Perth and can tell you it is absolutely NOTHING like anyplace in Florida. Perth is a city of 1.5 million, but that's it. There are no other cities per se in WA. It's not like being in Florida where you can leave Miami and in 1/2 hour be in Ft Lauderdale. Or a couple of hours drive and be in Orlando. To get to any other city is at least a few hours of flying time. Think going from Bahamas to New York type flying time. So isolated? Yes.

While not an American, I am Canadian and lived within 30 minutes to the border, so spent a lot of time over there. My son is American and was raised in the south, so I also spent a lot of time in Georgia.

Think of Perth as an island. Yes, an island of 1.5, but an island all the same.

How is it that you're eligible for citizenship? Do you have a parent who is Australian?

Oh, and given my druthers, I would choose Adelaide. Not that I don't like it here, because I'm settled quite nicely, but really in my opinion only I preferred living over there.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I also live in Perth and can tell you it is absolutely NOTHING like anyplace in Florida. Perth is a city of 1.5 million, but that's it. There are no other cities per se in WA. It's not like being in Florida where you can leave Miami and in 1/2 hour be in Ft Lauderdale. Or a couple of hours drive and be in Orlando. To get to any other city is at least a few hours of flying time. Think going from Bahamas to New York type flying time. So isolated? Yes.

While not an American, I am Canadian and lived within 30 minutes to the border, so spent a lot of time over there. My son is American and was raised in the south, so I also spent a lot of time in Georgia.

Think of Perth as an island. Yes, an island of 1.5, but an island all the same.

How is it that you're eligible for citizenship? Do you have a parent who is Australian?

Oh, and given my druthers, I would choose Adelaide. Not that I don't like it here, because I'm settled quite nicely, but really in my opinion only I preferred living over there.
Many thanks for the info.

My mother is Australian.

Well I'm used to living on a 27x7 mile island with population of 180,000

Someone said Perth reminded them of San Diego California. Maybe the weather?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the info.

My mother is Australian.

Well I'm used to living on a 27x7 mile island with population of 180,000

Someone said Perth reminded them of San Diego California. Maybe the weather?
Possibly the weather or population, but otherwise I would say Australia is more like Canada than it is like America. There's the American and British influences, but it's still it's own country.

If you take San Diego and put it 3 hours from the next city of any size then you have Perth.

Again, please don't get me wrong. Perth is a great place to raise a family. It's clean, green, has great beaches, loads of parks, wineries, relatively low crime and lots of other positives.

Why not take a reccie over here to see for yourself? I would suggest coming in the cooler months so you can get a feel for what winter's like here. Summers are pretty comparable to Nassau - hot and sunny with ocean breezes to cool things off - but winter can be pretty cold. BTW, we loved being tourists in Bahamas. We found the Bahamians to be really friendly.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Possibly the weather or population, but otherwise I would say Australia is more like Canada than it is like America. There's the American and British influences, but it's still it's own country.

If you take San Diego and put it 3 hours from the next city of any size then you have Perth.

Again, please don't get me wrong. Perth is a great place to raise a family. It's clean, green, has great beaches, loads of parks, wineries, relatively low crime and lots of other positives.

Why not take a reccie over here to see for yourself? I would suggest coming in the cooler months so you can get a feel for what winter's like here. Summers are pretty comparable to Nassau - hot and sunny with ocean breezes to cool things off - but winter can be pretty cold. BTW, we loved being tourists in Bahamas. We found the Bahamians to be really friendly.
cool. thanks. when is the best time in the winter? I heard someone say it rain constantly for like 1 month and July and August was the wettest months. we've been having temps in the 50F's this month. how low does the temp go in Perth?

good you ran into some of us good ones. we do exist.

Last edited by BeachBassist; Feb 13th 2009 at 12:04 am.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:56 am
Still alive

Winter can go down to single digits, so low to mid 30's. Yes, it rains a lot in July and August, so I would suggest September/October. It's nice then; cooler at night and sunny and warm during the days.

As for Bahamians, we met some really nice ones. We stayed last time on Paradise Island at the far east end of the island. My husband met a couple of really nice guys who took him out one afternoon to pick coconuts while I had some "hammock time". I got my hair braided by this 300lb woman who's braids gave me an instant face life they were so bloody tight!

We have some really fond memories of our time there. The little ferry boats that go between PI and Nassau are one of our favourite stories.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Winter can go down to single digits, so low to mid 30's. Yes, it rains a lot in July and August, so I would suggest September/October. It's nice then; cooler at night and sunny and warm during the days.

As for Bahamians, we met some really nice ones. We stayed last time on Paradise Island at the far east end of the island. My husband met a couple of really nice guys who took him out one afternoon to pick coconuts while I had some "hammock time". I got my hair braided by this 300lb woman who's braids gave me an instant face life they were so bloody tight!

We have some really fond memories of our time there. The little ferry boats that go between PI and Nassau are one of our favourite stories.

Paradise Island is the place to go. really nice over there and they provide good customer service. I wouldn't mind living over there.

ok cool sept sounds good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.