Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to sunshine coast??

Looking to move to sunshine coast??

Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

kelz_belz21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to sunshine coast??

hi guys, me and my hubby and 2 lovely kids are seriously looking 2 move 2 brisbane sunshine coast?? are there decent schools? nice suburbs?? nice area etc? kids r 6 and 3 x
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to sunshine coast??

There are bound to be some nice suburbs and schools otherwise nobody would live there. Have you got visas and looked into job opportunities, unless you are independently weealthy and dont need to work that is the place to start.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

we have just recently started looking , we have enquired for visa etc and right now we are trying to do as much re search as possible!! i defo fancy brisbane tho.. i am a mobile hairdresser at the moment and my husband is a draughtsman so currently looking into what job opportunities are available in his trade?

do you reccomend the lifestyle etc?x
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I dont recommend or not recommend the lifestyle, to be honest many things are the same, go to work, pay bills and chores. I also would not presume to tell a stranger that Australia is for them

We like it here, like living near the beach and for us it is a bit of an adventure and an opportunity to experience another part of the world.

I definitely think you need to focus upon jobs and visas and leave schools for later. I could be wrong but I dont think Brisbane and Sunshine Coast are interchangeable in that living in one and working in the other is feasible long term. I dont live up there though although working in Brisbane at moment.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that info... again just really exploring all these options etc its a hard one.. altho here in scotland i no i do not want to bring my kids up!! watching this country go down hill with drugs is scary!

where did u move from? will look into jpbs etc and see what is available.. it seems pretty expensive to buy and rent in oz i noticed?? gona give ourselfs at least a years plan x
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you have any pull factors? Always worry about those that leave because UK is going to the dogs etc. Australia also has crime and social problems, as do all countries.

I am from Manchester but not lived there for a long time, moved to London in 1995, Bermuda in 2006, Hertfordshire in 2008 and then over here last year.

You will not get a visa without state sponsorship. Not come across a draughtsman on here before that I can remember, is it on the SOL?

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 21st 2011 at 8:11 pm. Reason: sp
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:14 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

When you talk about "Brisbane/Sunshine Coast", are you aware that there is a 1-1½ hour drive between the two? Sunshine Coast basically runs from Caloundra in the south to Noosa in the north and includes Mooloolaba, Maroochydore, Coolum and Peregian Beach plus some smaller suburbs. Brisbane runs from Sandgate/Strathpine in the north and the shortest distance from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast is about 60km. The intervening council area is Moreton Bay.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Just echoing what others have said, but work can be hard to come by on the Sunshine Coast (depending on the job). It's really marketed as a tourist destination or a place for 'seachangers / treechangers' to retire to so, depending on the area, can be a bit of an 'old-peoples-home'.

Here's a link to a pdf giving you all the stats you'll ever need about the Sunshine Coast. http://www.oesr.qld.gov.au/products/...nges/index.php (to open it pick on 'pdf' ).

Last edited by spartacus; Nov 21st 2011 at 10:31 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Just echoing what others have said, but work can be hard to come by on the Sunshine Coast (depending on the job). It's really marketed as a tourist destination or a place for 'seachangers / treechangers' to retire to so, depending on the area, can be a bit of an 'old-peoples-home'.

Here's a link to a pdf giving you all the stats you'll ever need about the Sunshine Coast. http://www.oesr.qld.gov.au/products/...nges/index.php (to open it pick on 'pdf' ).
We live Sunny coast and its more the young adult age group thats missing, young men/women say 20 - 28.

The family with young kids would be the main population type you see along with over 50's.

My kids high school has 2200 kids, no shortage of familes anywhere here. Most years another primary school opens. The tafe and Uni just keep expanding too.

But yep tourism and retirement feature as well.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We live Sunny coast and its more the young adult age group thats missing, young men/women say 20 - 28.

The family with young kids would be the main population type you see along with over 50's.

My kids high school has 2200 kids, no shortage of familes anywhere here. Most years another primary school opens. The tafe and Uni just keep expanding too.

But yep tourism and retirement feature as well.
I was having a look at the pdf in the link I gave previously and that's something they noted, that there's a lot of migration away from the Sunshine Coast for that age group . . . moving away looking for work / opportunites might be one reason for that.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

i live up sunny coast (Glass House Mountains) as well, and yes, there is not much work up here. Its more hospitality driven and lots of retirees. The commute to brisbane is also quite long as well but you can train it from caboolture in just under 1 hour.

Redcliffe might be a nice compromise, not too long to the city but you are still near the water and properties/rent are reasonably cheap there as well.

Good luck!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan
i live up sunny coast (Glass House Mountains) as well, and yes, there is not much work up here. Its more hospitality driven and lots of retirees. The commute to brisbane is also quite long as well but you can train it from caboolture in just under 1 hour.

Redcliffe might be a nice compromise, not too long to the city but you are still near the water and properties/rent are reasonably cheap there as well.

Good luck!
I should note, the drive from say mooloolaba to caboolture would be a good 30 minutes as well!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

this all sounds great thanks alot guys.... i used to live in perth when i was younger only for a year... what is this like now 2 live?? does any one reccomend somewhere that is best for kids , jobs "hairdressing" and "ship building" work??x
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan
I should note, the drive from say mooloolaba to caboolture would be a good 30 minutes as well!
I was wondering how far it was. Theres some nice houses up that way! Is it a decent enough place to live Caboolture?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:41 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I was wondering how far it was. Theres some nice houses up that way! Is it a decent enough place to live Caboolture?
I wouldn't want to live in Caboolture, but its handy for Bribie Island (about a 15 minute drive away) which is lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.