Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Brisbane from New Zealand

Looking to move to Brisbane from New Zealand

Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

cathdarke1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to Brisbane from New Zealand

Hi Guys, Can anyone help?

We are pommies who currently live in New Zealand, we are looking to make the move to Brisbane from here. Have any of you pommies done this? How much has cost in visas etc? How much for a 20ft container? Can you take your jet Ski? Where are nice areas to live?

Cheers CATH
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:30 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to Brisbane from New Zealand

Congratulations on making the right decision. There are a few of us on here but we tend to blend in a bit.

I found it quite hard to get a lot of information about moving from NZ - OZ but ask away and I'll try to help.

Our container was a 40' and cost us $13K to GC, $12k if we'd gone to Brissy. We haggled and Pickfords got the job.

Can't remember how much the 457 visas were now but they didn't exactly break the bank and you can apply online which is so much easier.

Guess you can take a jet ski if you wash it first! not sure if you can use it in Brisbane though but it's worth asking.

Nice places to live? Hmm...will let someone in Brissy answer that one.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nerine
Congratulations on making the right decision. There are a few of us on here but we tend to blend in a bit.

I found it quite hard to get a lot of information about moving from NZ - OZ but ask away and I'll try to help.

Our container was a 40' and cost us $13K to GC, $12k if we'd gone to Brissy. We haggled and Pickfords got the job.

Can't remember how much the 457 visas were now but they didn't exactly break the bank and you can apply online which is so much easier.

Guess you can take a jet ski if you wash it first! not sure if you can use it in Brisbane though but it's worth asking.

Maybe Brisbane or the Goldcoast? Depends on hubbies job offer!!! What are rental prices like and what is the tax rate? Is the same as NZ 30% or is it more?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nerine

have you got a link for applying on line?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

glennmatchett is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering how come you said your not sure if you can use a Jet Ski in Brisbane? I am jsut wondering bcause the reason we are moving there is to be able to enjoy all the watersports we can including Jet Skiing, are there rules etc for this do you know and for water skiiing?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Originally Posted by cathdarke1

We are pommies who currently live in New Zealand, we are looking to make the move to Brisbane from here. Have any of you pommies done this? How much has cost in visas etc? How much for a 20ft container? Can you take your jet Ski? Where are nice areas to live?

Cheers CATH
We had a 30 metre square container. We brought over everything, except for a two seater settee (but included a ride on mower, snooker table and the usual gumph). Allied Pickford cost us roughly $15k. Visas for me was $190 and the same for the missus. Are you NZ citizens or just PR?

Check out this thread..http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502166

Might be slightly cheaper to Brissy as we are in Cairns.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by glennmatchett
I was wondering how come you said your not sure if you can use a Jet Ski in Brisbane? I am jsut wondering bcause the reason we are moving there is to be able to enjoy all the watersports we can including Jet Skiing, are there rules etc for this do you know and for water skiiing?
I'm only guessing on that one - thinking that there is probably a speed limit in force on the river? however there are probably places where you can use one: lakes, coast etc. hopefully someone will come along with the correct info. for you.

Here is the link for applying for the employer sponsored 457 visa on-line, the employer has to get the ball rolling first though and you won't be able to start the on line application until he gives you a TRN number and completes his side of the process.

In the meantime get all your supporting documentation together -all the usual certified copies of passports, qualifications, birth certificates, etc. your local JP will certify these for free then you'll need to scan and save them as .pdf files. The thing that took the longest for us was getting references back from past employers so get started on that asap.

Also, book your xrays and kids medicals for around the time that you're ready to submit the application. Unless things have changed since we did ours you won't be able to print out the med/xray forms until you've started on the application (they need to have the correct reference numbers on them)

Cost for the visa is $Au190. Good luck
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:12 am

Maybe Brisbane or the Goldcoast? Depends on hubbies job offer!!! What are rental prices like and what is the tax rate? Is the same as NZ 30% or is it more?
Rental prices are comparable to Auckland, possibly a bit cheaper and the tenant doesn't pay the letting fee here. The houses are also better quality than in NZ. Be sure to get something with air con in the living areas and at least ceiling fans in the bedrooms plus fly screens, a covered sitting out area is also quite desirable. We pay $500 week for a large 4 bed, 4 bath town house in a small gated community with a great pool, no water rates or any other extras other than the usual electricity and phone bills.

Tax rates depends on salary, there's a calc and further info here. Remember that the employer will also deduct 9% in pension payments and you'll have to pay for medical insurance if you're on a temp visa. Flip side is that you may be able to get the Living Away from Home Allowance tax break through the employer for any rent you pay.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Cheers CATH
Hi
We used to live in Papamoa and have just moved to Gold Coast.We were NZ citizens(oringinally pommes) so didnot not need visa's etc.It cost us $8,000.00 Nz dollars in a 20ft container and Crown moved us only a few breakages so not too bad.
After living in NZ some parts of Brisbane and GC will not be too great.Aussie is just like the UK with graffti,pollution,traffic and can be expensive too live.
The weather is great when it stops raining and the shopping and things to do are brill but NZ is a really pretty place and you don't realise what a great place it is till you move away.If you do bring your jet skis over be careful of the bull sharks in the rivers and canals.
Nice areas to live ? well only if you are a cashed up Brit other wise it it pretty limited.The wages are heaps better in Aussie and the weather is great but NZ is a much nicer place!!