Looking for a move to Australia as a teacher

Wikiposts

Looking for a move to Australia as a teacher

Old Jul 29th 2011, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

beakz88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a move to Australia as a teacher

hi

im looking to move out to aus aswel and go into teaching, does anyone know what route i might be able to take and how long it would take?, i already have a degree in sport and exercise sciences and i am only 23.

thanks
beakz88
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:22 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a move to Australia as a teacher

Hi,

Welcome to BE. I hope you enjoy being part of our community.

I've moved your post into it's own thread in the Australia forum for you, as I think it would have got lost in the other thread. I believe we have some teachers as members, so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some pointers.

In the meantime take some time to look around the forum, and use the search function to locate other threads about teaching in Australia.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:25 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beakz 88 and welcome to B.E.

Just here to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Enjoy B.E. and good luck.

Alistair.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beakz88
hi

im looking to move out to aus aswel and go into teaching, does anyone know what route i might be able to take and how long it would take?, i already have a degree in sport and exercise sciences and i am only 23.

thanks
beakz88
Have you looked at whether you qualify to live in Australia? www.immi.gov.au is where to start. As for teaching, do you have a teaching degree and experience working as a teacher?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:15 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beakz88
hi

thanks
beakz88
I think you would need to take a PGCE in the UK. To do the diploma in Oz as an international student is silly money. You need several years of experience in teaching before you can use that as as a profession to migrate with.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
You need several years of experience in teaching before you can use that as as a profession to migrate with.
You only need 12 months post PGCE to go over on the 175 or 176, the Perm residency visa.

From your degree you would probably be able to get on a PE PGCE, however this isn't the easiest to find work in Aus on, as obviously they do different sports (Aussie rules footie instead of 'soccer' being the big draw) and you would be up against Aussie trained PE teachers (despite being on the shortage list, teachers aren't actually really a shortage profession from what I continually hear around the country, unless you want to go bush). Having said that, never say never.

Having said all this, they tend to change the rules on immigration and who can and who can't on a monthly basis it seems, so by the time you have done your PGCE and your 12 months experience, you may well find that teachers are off the SOL (you wouldn't get on a Sept 2011 start course now, it would have to be next Sept - 2012, qualifying 2013 and then your 12 months from 2013 to 2014). But it's at least a plan

Good luck
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No shortage of teachers in schools in nice accessible areas in fact there are a lot of Austalian teachers who are looking for work in their profession. This is mainly because of the subjects they teach. My daughter is one of them.

If you teach maths, chemistry, physics then you have more chance of getting a job in a reasonable area. Arts and physed many many people do these subjects.

There is shortage but its in the country towns which for some reason migrants seem to shun. Cannot think why there are some very nice ones and provide a good lifestyle. Also because teachers pay is woeful it can be cheaper to buy property etc in the country.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about another postgrad option apart from teaching? An example would be physiotherapy.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:40 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
There is shortage but its in the country towns which for some reason migrants seem to shun. Cannot think why there are some very nice ones and provide a good lifestyle. Also because teachers pay is woeful it can be cheaper to buy property etc in the country.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. There is difficulty in recruiting and retaining teachers in country towns. I live in one of the thousands of small towns which exist in Victoria alone and I love it.

One snag is that there isn't much other work about with high pay but lifestyle can be wonderful and as you say, much cheaper housing.