Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

looking to move to aus with partner

looking to move to aus with partner

Old Jul 31st 2016, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute
Default looking to move to aus with partner

hi all

just after some info

im a plumber/gas heating engineer 31 years old and british. my misses is an administrator and polish shes 26years old. weve been together 7 years.

from what i can gather i can move over if i meet the 60 points but can my misses move over aswel??? i cant see administrator on the required skills thingy so not sure how it would work. could she come over on my visa? and if so could she work aswel?

could we both apply for permanent resident straight away or not?

any advice would be great!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking to move to aus with partner

Your partner will be included on your application. Her occupation doesn't need to be on any list x
Old Aug 1st 2016, 5:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Your partner will be included on your application. Her occupation doesn't need to be on any list x
I should just add that the "misses" will be included on the application if she is indeed his "missus" (i.e. married) or "de-facto" (i.e. lived together for 12 months or more) and can prove it; not simply the girlfriend he's been dating for 7 years.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

jon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond reputejon111 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I should just add that the "misses" will be included on the application if she is indeed his "missus" (i.e. married) or "de-facto" (i.e. lived together for 12 months or more) and can prove it; not simply the girlfriend he's been dating for 7 years.
oh my misses is my partner we have a mortgage on a home together and have lived here for 3 years together

if she can come over on my visa? can she find work as well without and problems?

thanks for the replies ))
Old Aug 1st 2016, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon111
oh my misses is my partner we have a mortgage on a home together and have lived here for 3 years together

if she can come over on my visa? can she find work as well without and problems?

thanks for the replies ))
She can secure work without any visa problems. Obviously the ability to land jobs and luck also comes into it.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
She can secure work without any visa problems. Obviously the ability to land jobs and luck also comes into it.
is it fairly easy to find work ? iv heard some people really struggle.is the job market strong at the moment? its hard to gauge from here tbh

and thanks for the help
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

is it fairly easy to find work ? iv heard some people really struggle.is the job market strong at the moment? its hard to gauge from here tbh

and thanks for the help
Market is buoyant in most places. Mining sector might be tricky.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

and thanks for the help
Unemployment rate is 5.8% at the moment, do a touch higher than UKs currently but not by much. So you could assume finding work in Australia will be much the same as trying to find work in UK right now.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Still activity in Perth in the plumbing sector, as was talking to the director of a plumbing company only last week. Office work I would suggest is on the skids at least here in Perth. There's been a lot of retrenchment recently and restructuring going on.

As for plumbing I don't think you can just pick up from where you left off in UK. You have to be certified to Australian standards I believe. Others can no doubt fill you in on those requirements.

Remember Australia is a very expensive country. You'll need a tidy sum to tie yourself over, I'd suggest in the short medium term.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Still activity in Perth in the plumbing sector, as was talking to the director of a plumbing company only last week. Office work I would suggest is on the skids at least here in Perth. There's been a lot of retrenchment recently and restructuring going on.

As for plumbing I don't think you can just pick up from where you left off in UK. You have to be certified to Australian standards I believe. Others can no doubt fill you in on those requirements.

Remember Australia is a very expensive country. You'll need a tidy sum to tie yourself over, I'd suggest in the short medium term.
i gathered you need to transfer skills and get a tradesperson certificate? also anywhere else that has good plumbing and or admin jobs i havnt decided on an area to go yet as only just started looking so any ideas would be good

thanks
Old Aug 4th 2016, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't just a matter of transferring skills. Your occupation is a licensed occupation.

In order to work in it, you will need to jump through hoops. These will vary a bit by state, but on average, you will need to work as a trade assistant for a while - usually about a year. This is a bit like being an apprentice again. You will need to undertake training at college which you will have to pay for and I would budget several thousand.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
It isn't just a matter of transferring skills. Your occupation is a licensed occupation.

In order to work in it, you will need to jump through hoops. These will vary a bit by state, but on average, you will need to work as a trade assistant for a while - usually about a year. This is a bit like being an apprentice again. You will need to undertake training at college which you will have to pay for and I would budget several thousand.
ok say queensland as thats where im looking at although tbh i dont mind atm. Whats the rough starting wage and how much would one of them courses be to transfer skills?

is there anywhere i can look this up?