Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for a market and an aussie costco

Looking for a market and an aussie costco

Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for a market and an aussie costco

Ok so I know I'm in another country and Costco don't exist. but... the food is expensive here!

Any suggestions on where a good, cheap fruit and veg market is?
Is there an Aussie equivalent of COSTCO where I can bulk buy frozen meat etc?

Share your secret shopping tips.. go on

I'm in Grange 5022

Oh and I obviously know about the central market... was told it was expensive by a local who mentioned another market in harndorf (by the time i drive there I might as well have gone to Coles!)

Last edited by Mochinbach; Feb 12th 2010 at 10:04 am. Reason: added a bit
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a market and an aussie costco

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Ok so I know I'm in another country and Costco don't exist. but... the food is expensive here!

Any suggestions on where a good, cheap fruit and veg market is?
Is there an Aussie equivalent of COSTCO where I can bulk buy frozen meat etc?

Share your secret shopping tips.. go on

I'm in Grange 5022

Oh and I obviously know about the central market... was told it was expensive by a local who mentioned another market in harndorf (by the time i drive there I might as well have gone to Coles!)
More expensive that where? Coles or Woolies? Quite possibly, but then the fruit and veg from the market is less likely to be crap. I got our fruit, veg and meat from the market for the 8 months that we were in the suburbs before we moved up to the hills.

There are a couple of wholsale butchers in the northern suburbs. Try googling.

Good luck!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
More expensive that where? Coles or Woolies? Quite possibly, but then the fruit and veg from the market is less likely to be crap. I got our fruit, veg and meat from the market for the 8 months that we were in the suburbs before we moved up to the hills.

There are a couple of wholsale butchers in the northern suburbs. Try googling.

Good luck!
Thanks I have tried googling but i just keep getting websites about the markets suppliers!! lol. Obviously not a good day for googles. Did hear about a Sunday market (like a car boot) which has some stalls but maybe i'll just try the Central one and compare. I'm golding out for Aldi to arrive!!! 49p everything there in the UK! Yay!

lol
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:58 am
ABCDiamond

Move to Melbourne

http://www.costco.com.au/

Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks I have tried googling but i just keep getting websites about the markets suppliers!! lol. Obviously not a good day for googles. Did hear about a Sunday market (like a car boot) which has some stalls but maybe i'll just try the Central one and compare. I'm golding out for Aldi to arrive!!! 49p everything there in the UK! Yay!

lol
Food is cheap in the UK as a huge chunk of it is imported from desperate third world countries. They are criminally low.

Australia is expensive as most is home grown and you are paying higher prices as it is a first world nation, although farmers still complain they aren't getting paid enough. Though, in comparison they are rich compared to the farmers selling bananas in Ecuador.

Secondly is the drought. This has caused prices to skyrocket as well. Lack of competition is the other reason, but it is minor compared to the other two.

Food would be supercheap in Australia if the market was allowed to be flooded with enormous quantities of third world produce.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

lol
There's the farmers market at the showgrounds which is supposed to be pretty good. Have a look here for details http://www.southaustralia.com/FoodMarkets.aspx

As for meat wholesalers, try here - http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&safe...60df8cf2ec5be1
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Australia is expensive as most is home grown and you are paying higher prices as it is a first world nation, although farmers still complain they aren't getting paid enough.
An issue with the cost of fresh food in Australia is that there are export contracts to fulfil. All the best produce is selected for export, leaving the adequate quality for the domestic market. The export market is lucrative, so if there are shortages it hits the domestic market - making things expensive, and not as good quality as the stuff heading off to other countries.

Relatively speaking the farmers don't get paid enough, however this is compared to what things cost in supermarkets. Prices are artificially high in Australia, which isn't helped by the stranglehold Woolworths and Coles have.

Farmers markets are a good place to go, as previously mentioned - however I'm not sure how I feel about wholesale meat places due to any effect they may have on independent butchers.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Farmers markets are a good place to go, as previously mentioned - however I'm not sure how I feel about wholesale meat places due to any effect they may have on independent butchers.
I think that the independent butchers can do very well in price anyway, at least in my area. Much cheaper than the supermarkets

Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that the independent butchers can do very well in price anyway, at least in my area. Much cheaper than the supermarkets
Well i found Costco.com.au

but as you've pointed out there isn't one in Adelaide
Thanks for the advice on the markets... I'll have to check them all out one by one. It did work out a bit cheaper popping to Central Market for the veggies. I did see an ad on the TV for a produce wholesaler in Adelaide 2 days ago and I've gone and forgotten it's name (doh!) hopefully it'll come back on!

I take on board what you've said about the fair trade produce. I do try and buy fairtrade where i can. It took me until recently to realise why there arent' so many fair trade products availbale... i was looking for fair trade sugar until i remembered the sugar cane up north!!! (lmao what a fool i am!)

I'll continue my hunt for bargain nosh!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well i found Costco.com.au

but as you've pointed out there isn't one in Adelaide
Thanks for the advice on the markets... I'll have to check them all out one by one. It did work out a bit cheaper popping to Central Market for the veggies. I did see an ad on the TV for a produce wholesaler in Adelaide 2 days ago and I've gone and forgotten it's name (doh!) hopefully it'll come back on!

I take on board what you've said about the fair trade produce. I do try and buy fairtrade where i can. It took me until recently to realise why there arent' so many fair trade products availbale... i was looking for fair trade sugar until i remembered the sugar cane up north!!! (lmao what a fool i am!)

I'll continue my hunt for bargain nosh!
has anyone been to Central Grocers?

http://www.centralgrocers.com.au/

is that worth a go?