Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good banger.....

Looking for a good banger.....

Old May 2nd 2004, 11:19 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Looking for a good banger.....

Okay, I've been back in Oz for almost two years, and during that time I've tried over a dozen types / makes of sausage. (Well, what else did you think I meant by 'banger'....?)

This weekend, in a desperate search for something to do as the 'banger' in 'bangers and mash' I tried some Italian spicy sausage. Bleugh!!! It tasted awful, and the texture was appaling - I doubt if the meat had been properly ground at all, as it was all lumpy.... You get my drift...

So, the question is to all expats who've tried the sausages here in Oz: Have you managed to find a sausage which even comes close to the Great British Banger?

Old May 2nd 2004, 11:22 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for a good banger.....

Originally posted by downunderpom
Okay, I've been back in Oz for almost two years, and during that time I've tried over a dozen types / makes of sausage. (Well, what else did you think I meant by 'banger'....?)

This weekend, in a desperate search for something to do as the 'banger' in 'bangers and mash' I tried some Italian spicy sausage. Bleugh!!! It tasted awful, and the texture was appaling - I doubt if the meat had been properly ground at all, as it was all lumpy.... You get my drift...

So, the question is to all expats who've tried the sausages here in Oz: Have you managed to find a sausage which even comes close to the Great British Banger?

NO! Funny you should mention this, went to see some friends in London last night who I hadn't seen since before I went to Australia, they were asking me my three favourite things and three worst things about OZ

worst things #1 was the lack of choice in the supermarkets, example given SAUSAGES! Said I could never find a decent one, and when I looked for lowfat ones (of which theres about half a dozen brands in your local in the UK) I couldn't find any!!
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Default good news for Brisbane’s banger lovers

Do you ever get up to Brisbane ?

A story on TV Channel 9 - Extra

"in Brisbane where for the past 3 years Brisbane butchers have taken out the National championship for the coveted top pork sausage award"

It is purely co-incedence that this is where I do my own meat shopping (and good prices too )

Old May 2nd 2004, 11:45 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard to lose a taste for abattoir sweepings???
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a good banger.....

Originally posted by downunderpom

Butchers on Hall St Bondi Beach do some good Bangers. Supermarket bangers are plain crap. The mexican sausages don't half make me trumpet. The Hall St sausages have texture. Can't remember if they did a pork and leek but will look next time. My only other suggestion is the DJs food hall.
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I know that it's a bit of a drive for you but I buy my meat from Rainbow Meats in Chirnside Park.

They've won awards for their sausages. Coincidentally (sp) I bought sausages yesterday.

Beef and Pork (together)
BBQ Lamb
Sweet Chilli Pork
Bacon, Beef and Tomato

They've got about 20 varieties at any time, so I keep trying different ones.

Their curry sausages are absolutely fantastic too.

I thoroughly recommend to anyone in the eastern suburbs to buy your meat from these people.

Regards
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Woolies now have an "old english" sausage which isnt bad for a supermarket offering.

Its definitely not that pink smooth paste type of sausage meat