Reload this Page >

looking for a cheap run around second car

Wikiposts

looking for a cheap run around second car

Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Craigv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for a cheap run around second car

Why are used cars so expensive in OZ. I have been looking at carsales,com and I want an old banger to get me down to the bus stop for commuting into CBD. It seems that even 6 / 7 year old cars with 100,000+ kms on them are still going for 7 or 8000 AUD.

Any ideas wher I can pick something up for around the 2 - $3000 mark. Based out at dee why northern beaches.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 1:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for a cheap run around second car

Originally Posted by Craigv
Why are used cars so expensive in OZ. I have been looking at carsales,com and I want an old banger to get me down to the bus stop for commuting into CBD. It seems that even 6 / 7 year old cars with 100,000+ kms on them are still going for 7 or 8000 AUD.

Any ideas wher I can pick something up for around the 2 - $3000 mark. Based out at dee why northern beaches.
Take a look in the local paper. Up here there are loads of private ads for cheap cars
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: looking for a cheap run around second car

www.autotrader.com.au

Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: looking for a cheap run around second car

Why are used cars so expensive in OZ.
Smaller population, smaller market, very few secondhand imports, and stamp duty (in some states.)

It's the price you pay for living in a country with a population of only 20 million, situated nearly 20,000 clicks from Europe.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Craigv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
thanks good site ..
Old Feb 18th 2006, 3:13 am
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Smaller population, smaller market, very few secondhand imports, and stamp duty (in some states.)

It's the price you pay for living in a country with a population of only 20 million, situated nearly 20,000 clicks from Europe.
Also lower levels of corrosion due to generally drier and warmer weather, much less icy and snowy conditions mean salt is rarely if ever spread on the roads (however vehicles that live near to the sea may be worse due to the salt air).

Engines (and gearboxes) are started at a generally higher ambient temperature than in the UK so the oil is less viscous and hence less engine wear occurs immediately after starting; this is where most wear occurs normally.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:00 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by jas_uk
Also lower levels of corrosion due to generally drier and warmer weather, much less icy and snowy conditions mean salt is rarely if ever spread on the roads (however vehicles that live near to the sea may be worse due to the salt air).

Engines (and gearboxes) are started at a generally higher ambient temperature than in the UK so the oil is less viscous and hence less engine wear occurs immediately after starting; this is where most wear occurs normally.
Good points; I have noticed that rust is endemic here in the UK; never seen so many rusty vehicles in my life!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:00 am
Fighting my corner

thanks good site ..
Cheers.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:29 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

Cheers.
Hi Vash, you are like a god send every time someone mentions something negative and makes me and the OH think Oh! god what is wrong now with Australia. You pop up and explain the facts or point people in the right direction. Great to have someone who can truly see it from both sides (not knocking any expats in Oz) We will be there June hopefully. We have lived in two other countries and welcomed their culture and ways so we are not looking for a mini UK the complete opposite infact. Also excellent post about price of food. We shop in Marks and Spencers here so anything must be cheaer than that ha! ha!
Keep posting Vash.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:44 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
Hi Vash, you are like a god send every time someone mentions something negative and makes me and the OH think Oh! god what is wrong now with Australia. You pop up and explain the facts or point people in the right direction. Great to have someone who can truly see it from both sides (not knocking any expats in Oz) We will be there June hopefully. We have lived in two other countries and welcomed their culture and ways so we are not looking for a mini UK the complete opposite infact. Also excellent post about price of food. We shop in Marks and Spencers here so anything must be cheaer than that ha! ha!

Keep posting Vash.
LOL, thanks mate I really appreciate it.

To be honest, I have been accused of showing too much pro-Aussie sentiment on many occasions - but hey, I'm an Aussie; I'm not going to bash my own country without good reason (though I'll happily agree with justifiable criticisms) and I have no time for the folks who do.

Getting back on topic... One thing I love about the UK is the low price of second-hand cars. You can get some really decent European and Japanese marques over here, for a fraction of the price that you'd pay back home!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 5:01 am
Enjoy it while you can

Chick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really niceChick Flick is just really nice

LOL, thanks mate I really appreciate it.

To be honest, I have been accused of showing too much pro-Aussie sentiment on many occasions - but hey, I'm an Aussie; I'm not going to bash my own country without good reason (though I'll happily agree with justifiable criticisms) and I have no time for the folks who do.

Getting back on topic... One thing I love about the UK is the low price of second-hand cars. You can get some really decent European and Japanese marques over here, for a fraction of the price that you'd pay back home!
Hi Vash, sort of on topic question. We are both buying new cars when we arrive in Oz, are you able to trade in at a garage after say 4/5 years for a new model or do you have to sell your car private and buy new from scratch? Just wondered OH wants a SAAB (bugger) probably expensive. I'll end up with something small square and with wheels. I actually like my Ford KA it's great to park and like driving a bumpa car (without the bumps of course). Be proud to be an Aussie. Hopefully we will support the economy over there as much as we can home grown etc.. (except for the SAAB) sorry it's his dream he deserves it LOL
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Saab's are expensive and they do sell KA's as well. European cars are expensive for parts as well, Especially if you have a accident where they will try to repair the panels or get second hand ones.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 12:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap ones are around. We picked up an old dual cab ute in pretty good nick, very good bodywork and engine for $5000.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Have a look on ebay!!
... we found a lot of cheaper cars are sold on ebay in sydney, we bought a 7 seater people carrier for 10,000$ and drove it up to the Gold Coast, cuz we couldn't buy anything like it here.
Would definitely give it a look if you live in sydney.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 4:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
We are both buying new cars when we arrive in Oz, are you able to trade in at a garage after say 4/5 years for a new model or do you have to sell your car private and buy new from scratch?
Yes, you can trade in, in the same way that it works in the UK, however, selling privately, as in the UK, you do normally get more money for it.

Secondhand car prices at dealers here, can be negotiated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.