Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a new laptop

Looking to buy a new laptop

Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:55 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Looking to buy a new laptop

Hi guys,

I am a little out of the loop technology wise, but am looking to buy a new laptop. I realise I need plenty of memory, and a good sized harddrive, plus several usb ports. I also need it to be wireless. The last pc we bought was a Dell, I have nothing against another Dell, except if you want to completely reformat the harddrive, as happens occasionally with four people using it, they simply get clogged up, and run very slowly, it takes a loooooong time to reformat a Dell, whereas other pcs I have used in the past have been very easy to reformat.

Any recommendations as to a/ a machine to buy, and b/ a retailer to buy it from, I have so far looked at Harvey Norman and JB Hi Fi both seemed expensive. I dont mind paying around 2k, but would like some value for money. Any online retailer would also be welcome, I have no problems with buying online.

Cheers
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:18 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to buy a new laptop

You need to work out what are you going to use it for first. Screen Size 10, 15.4 17.3. Vista/Win 7, main brand or anything, processor/memory.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:53 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by datamile
You need to work out what are you going to use it for first. Screen Size 10, 15.4 17.3. Vista/Win 7, main brand or anything, processor/memory.
Hi. I am looking at a 17.3 screen with Windows 7. The laptop wont ever be used for gaming, but will be used to download tv progs etc, hence needing a fair bit of storage. Looking at a reliable processor, so probably pentium or similar, thats about it really. I simply want to avoid paying $2500 then somebody tell me I could have bought the identical laptop from xyz at 1000 dollars less. Decided to post this prior to buying then get peoples experiences.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:57 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Dell, you usually get a decent deal with them. Other than that, the usual suspects are all about the same. Try WOW for a retailer.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:05 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Just did this as the wife wanted a desktop replacement.

http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellsto...=&oc=S510910AU

Not the best processor T6600 , but home 7 prem 64bit , 4gb ram , 500gb disk. 17.3 (1600x900) screen. Not a good graphics card

Base Price is 1199.

Voucher W5J64MRM1LBHD? save 8% , Save $39 if you don't need setup help.

Another option is

http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=770&typeID=23 . 16 screen, faster processor, upgradable to win7
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:43 pm
ABCDiamond

We just got an Acer AS5738G-664G32MN 15" for $785 and it includes a 3 year Acer warranty at that price, by swapping the cashback offer for an extended warranty instead. (it worked out at $686 with just the one year warranty)

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/compu...1-01-10/471294
Intel Core2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB)
4GB DDR2-SDRAM
320GB Hard Drive
A bit of extra negotiation on the offer price, but we did buy an Ipod at the same time.

JB Hifi and Clive Anthonys are in the same group ownership. We bought at Clive Anthonys, as the JB Hifi offer is online exclusive only... but Clive Anthony had them in stock for over the counter sale.