Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Look what we found last weekend

Look what we found last weekend

Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Look what we found last weekend

Look what we found last weekend when we had a day out to Mount Dale....
Attached Thumbnails Look what we found last weekend-bobby.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:49 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Look what we found last weekend

Originally Posted by renth
LOL! Western Bluetongue! Excellent picture!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

gogi79 is an unknown quantity at this point

ewwwwwwwww what the hell is that ? :scared:
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

In between the kids school and home the other day, which is all in the same suburb we saw a total of 3 squashed bobtails. Bless them they must still be asleep when they make their dash across the roads
Joanne
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogi79
ewwwwwwwww what the hell is that ? :scared:
As Tony said, it's a Bluetongue, or shingleback, or bob tail - they've got lots of names.

We've got one resident in our garden - "Bobby"

PS Saw a HUGE dugite slithering across the Ocean Reef road on Saturday, the car coming in the opposite direction just ran over the end bit of its body and I can now see where the expression "mad as a cut snake" comes from - it went crazy.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

But we don't get snakes here you know
I love them snakes and lizards i think they are fascinating creatures, its the bloomin cockroaches i cant stand.
Joanne
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:27 am
aussie73

The good thing about them is that they eat rats and keep rat numbers down.
Lizards are not venomous and harmless to humans

Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:29 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

As Tony said, it's a Bluetongue, or shingleback, or bob tail - they've got lots of names.

PS Saw a HUGE dugite slithering across the Ocean Reef road on Saturday, the car coming in the opposite direction just ran over the end bit of its body and I can now see where the expression "mad as a cut snake" comes from - it went crazy.
Crazy though it sounds, cars have been known to get flat tyres going over poisonous snakes as they strike the tyre and pierce it with their fangs!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

They have a pretty nasty bite though dont they. They lock onto your finger or hand and wont let go. The wildlife just loves our street we always have the odd Dugite or tiger snake slithering around
Joanne
Old Oct 28th 2004, 1:57 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by jopaulss
They have a pretty nasty bite though dont they. They lock onto your finger or hand and wont let go. The wildlife just loves our street we always have the odd Dugite or tiger snake slithering around
Joanne
We've had a tiger snake in the front and a dugite in the back garden.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 4:47 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Hand written sign in window of a done over Vaucluse house:

Beware - Property Security by
SNAKES
Inside & Out 24/7.

(or something close to that).
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:30 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Crazy though it sounds, cars have been known to get flat tyres going over poisonous snakes as they strike the tyre and pierce it with their fangs!
I bet you have fairys at the bottom of your garden ......... ........ mm
Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:39 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover

I do..I live opposite a gay club!

(only joking!..its a gay and lesbian club....no not really!)
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mr mover
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's true!

I've read accounts of this happening in India with King Cobras which are the largest venomous snakes in the world with fangs to match! If a car isn't doing a zillion miles an hour on a decent road, but instead is bumping along a dirt track and goes over the tail of a six foot king cobra.......well I think you see my point.

Poisonous snakes can strike with incredible speed and they usually do it istinctively. I'm guessing they come off second best taking on a car but that doesn't stop them!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

Technically speaking, the Shingleback is the outback species of bluetongue, also known as a bogeye or pinecone lizard, as it looks like a pine cone on legs!
So I guess it earns the name shingleback from the rough scaling of this species.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.