Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Weekend in Aussie, How are you going to spend yours ?

Long Weekend in Aussie, How are you going to spend yours ?

Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long Weekend in Aussie, How are you going to spend yours ?

Gotta love all these Public holidays we get over here, Labour day is upon us. Why oh why couldn't Melbourne, have produced this 30+ degree weekend when the world was watching, Even more importantly Last weekend just reinforced the "it's always raining in Melbourne claim" to the Interstate visitors. Never mind.

As one of my freinds so eloquently put it, "nothing to do, but suck piiss, and talk shiit for 3 days, you little beauty" I've decided, tomorrow have some mates around for a spit roast, etc However it could prove a tad hot for that. Hence this thread, How you going to spend your weekend ??

I'm very interested in the stay at homers, responses, but I'd love to hear from everyone.

Go for your life
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Weekend in Aussie, How are you going to spend yours ?

We had ours last weekend. I had to work Monday but on Sunday night we had a big riot in Ocean Reef culminating with the violent home invasion of my neighbours house.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I read about those problems over there Renth, Hope things settle down. I wonder why these things keep happening over there ? They have happened In Melbourne, I mean Gatecrashed parties though, but not to the extent that they seem to happen in Perth.

I Didn't realise it wasn't a national holiday either !

Good luck and hope you don't see the likes of that violence again.
Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:55 am
ABCDiamond

Had me worried for a moment, then I remembered the States all have different dates for it. We have to wait till May.

WA, Mar 7 2005
VIC, Mar 14 2005
QLD, May 2 2005
NSW/ACT/SA, Oct 3 2005

Not sure about the others.

Old Mar 11th 2005, 6:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

As Renth said, we had last Monday off.
We went down to Albany with friends and stayed at friends' parents house in Torbay and a had a brilliant time.
Saturday night saw Jez(from Byron Bay) and Brett Hunt(from Bondi) play in the pub, and rest of the week was spent admiring the surroudings, see here for photo;s:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...13#post2128713

In two weeks it's easter already, and planning to take the tent and go camping in Toodyay(east of Perth) and go to the Avon National Park.

THis weekend we're going househunting, and sleeping in!
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lovely Piccies Simone Good luck with the Househunting.

You've taken the edge of my weekend a bit there Abcd, but there again prewarned is good. 'Cos what it means is, When we got back to work Monday night, we are going to be absolutely slaughtered by the volume.

My memory must be failing Doh lol !

Best make the most of it
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:35 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Lovely Piccies Simone Good luck with the Househunting.

You've taken the edge of my weekend a bit there Abcd, but there again prewarned is good. 'Cos what it means is, When we got back to work Monday night, we are going to be absolutely slaughtered by the volume.

My memory must be failing Doh lol !

Best make the most of it

I have just checked the front of my diary and it says we have the following public holidays in WA

New year holiday Mon 3rd Jan
Australia day wed 26th Jan
Labour day mon 7th March
Good Friday Friday 25th march
Easter Monday Mon 28th March
Anzac day Mon 25th April
Foundation day Monday 6th June
Queens Birthday 3rd October
Christmas day holiday/boxing day Mon 26th Dec
Boxing holiday Tues 27th

Thats 10 public holidays yay yay yay

Victoria, you dont get a boxing day holiday to make up for the fact that xmas lands on a Sunday. so you only get one day off for xmas????

Tasmania is the place to be they get 14 in North Tas and 13 in South Tas

Kala
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahhhhrrrrggggghhhhh, That'll be that Thatcher loving b...dard Jeff Kennett that robbed us there, Kala.

I'll see what Apost is letting us have at xmas, when I go back on Monday night. It'll be crazy, if we in vic, are the only part of apost working, Mind you I 'spose we are the only ones not working Sunday night/monday Morning.

Doh !

I blame the eastern suburbs lol
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:13 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

All those public holidays sound good. Hope you enjoy your days in the sun this weekend and the next two or three for us are marked for tarting up the house to put it on the market

Want to ask though how much annual holiday is normal, family friends have just moved to canada to find that the employment rules over there only give them 2 weeks paid holiday for a full time permanent employee. A bit of a shock for them, just aswell they have moved to a beautiful area, that canadians flock to for their holidays, so their weekends will be well spent.

Halflinggirl2000
Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Thats 10 public holidays yay yay yay
I've just checked ours, we seem to get 11 days, including the 17 August for the Royal QLD Show day

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
All those public holidays sound good. Hope you enjoy your days in the sun this weekend and the next two or three for us are marked for tarting up the house to put it on the market

Want to ask though how much annual holiday is normal, family friends have just moved to canada to find that the employment rules over there only give them 2 weeks paid holiday for a full time permanent employee.

Halflinggirl2000
My wife gets 4 weeks annual leave. And I used to get 4 weeks when I last worked in this country, some years ago now .

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:26 am
ABCDiamond

Some info on QLD Annual leave from http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/condi...itlements.html

As from 1 July 1999 the Industrial Relations Act 1999 provides that minimum leave entitlements apply to all Queensland employees (excluding those covered by federal awards or agreements).

Unless otherwise indicated these entitlements do not apply to casuals (see below **), pieceworkers or school-based apprentices and trainees. Generally employees are entitled to:

* For each completed year of employment 4 weeks paid annual leave. (Five weeks paid annual leave for shift workers - as defined). An additional 17.5% leave loading applies only to employees covered by awards or agreements.
* 8 days paid sick leave per year, accruing at the rate of 1 day for each 6 weeks service.
* long service leave on the basis of 8.6667 weeks leave after 10 years service.
* Parental leave, which is usually unpaid leave available when an employee becomes pregnant or adopts.
* Use of up to 5 days paid sick leave per year (i.e. carer's leave) to care for and support members of their immediate family, or household, who are ill.
* At least 2 days paid bereavement leave on the death of a member of their immediate family, or household, in Australia.
* Paid public holidays, if they would ordinarily be required to work on a day on which a public holiday falls.

** Casual Employees -
Entitlements and Conditions
Rates of pay for casual employees covered by an award or agreement are prescribed in the applicable award or agreement. Usually these rates include a loading (currently 23% in most awards and agreements) to compensate for the fact that certain leave and other entitlements are not payable to casual employees.

Old Mar 11th 2005, 8:43 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some info on QLD Annual leave from http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/condi...itlements.html

As from 1 July 1999 the Industrial Relations Act 1999 provides that minimum leave entitlements apply to all Queensland employees (excluding those covered by federal awards or agreements).

Unless otherwise indicated these entitlements do not apply to casuals (see below **), pieceworkers or school-based apprentices and trainees. Generally employees are entitled to:

* For each completed year of employment 4 weeks paid annual leave. (Five weeks paid annual leave for shift workers - as defined). An additional 17.5% leave loading applies only to employees covered by awards or agreements.
* 8 days paid sick leave per year, accruing at the rate of 1 day for each 6 weeks service.
* long service leave on the basis of 8.6667 weeks leave after 10 years service.
* Parental leave, which is usually unpaid leave available when an employee becomes pregnant or adopts.
* Use of up to 5 days paid sick leave per year (i.e. carer's leave) to care for and support members of their immediate family, or household, who are ill.
* At least 2 days paid bereavement leave on the death of a member of their immediate family, or household, in Australia.
* Paid public holidays, if they would ordinarily be required to work on a day on which a public holiday falls.

** Casual Employees -
Entitlements and Conditions
Rates of pay for casual employees covered by an award or agreement are prescribed in the applicable award or agreement. Usually these rates include a loading (currently 23% in most awards and agreements) to compensate for the fact that certain leave and other entitlements are not payable to casual employees.
Brilliant, thanks for that information ABC. Will add to my file, did not realise that the long service leave was actually that regulated! Good idea ~ Halflinggirl