British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Long term plan to get in to OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/long-term-plan-get-oz-547501/)

Catfucius Jul 7th 2008 3:47 pm

Long term plan to get in to OZ

How long did it take you to get from ' I want to live in Australia' to 'I'm living in Australia'

My plan is going to take approximately 3/4 years, by coincidence I am going to be training in something that will help the process :D, and this is key to Australian entry.. hopefully :confused:, I know its a long way off and that things can change.....its a long journey..or is it? whats the average? is there an average?

Nick Gill Jul 7th 2008 5:28 pm

Re: Long term plan to get in to OZ

Originally Posted by Catfucius (Post 6544699)
How long did it take you to get from ' I want to live in Australia' to 'I'm living in Australia'

My plan is going to take approximately 3/4 years, by coincidence I am going to be training in something that will help the process :D, and this is key to Australian entry.. hopefully :confused:, I know its a long way off and that things can change.....its a long journey..or is it? whats the average? is there an average?

Hey

I cant offer you "an average" but I can say I know how your feeling - I have 2 years left of my degree then I will get a years experience before I apply

Welcome to the madness :rofl:

ps I find that beer/wine/vodka (well actually any alcoholic fluid) helps :thumbsup:

Catfucius Jul 7th 2008 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Gill (Post 6545039)
Hey

I cant offer you "an average" but I can say I know how your feeling - I have 2 years left of my degree then I will get a years experience before I apply

Welcome to the madness :rofl:

ps I find that beer/wine/vodka (well actually any alcoholic fluid) helps :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:thanks for the reply, glad im not alone ;),, madness is ok its a comfort zone for me :blink::blink: that with the brandy i should do ok then :lol:

Where you heading in oz?...can i ask what your degree is in?

Nick Gill Jul 7th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Catfucius (Post 6545133)
:thumbsup:thanks for the reply, glad im not alone ;),, madness is ok its a comfort zone for me :blink::blink: that with the brandy i should do ok then :lol:

Where you heading in oz?...can i ask what your degree is in?

LMAO :rofl:

Im going back in October after taking 2 years out to finish my nursing degree

As for where Im heading - I have no idea - truly I dont as its changes daily

How about you?

Catfucius Jul 7th 2008 7:34 pm

Destination unknown :sneaky:,,simply because i want to go to one place Melly and OH :zzz: is up for Perth...I will have to keep my mind open as when it comes to it Iwill have to way up the options for those taking on a Old Age Pensioner of a nurse :lol::eek:,,Im going down the nursing route too:thumbsup:

seen a thread somewhere where us old farts (said in complete jest as i dont fart :rofl:) can get in, might hop over and sign up for the over 40's club)

kurrikurri Jul 7th 2008 7:48 pm

I agree, no average time. Some people seem to be able to go straight in and our plans seem to be going on and on and on and on.

After our holiday in March 2006, we looked at the process and started it in September 2006. My husband is a roof tiler/slater by trade, kept his hand in for friends etc, but needed to be in paid employment to prove he was doing it!! Therefore set up his own roofing business September 06, bought a van had all the gear and away he went. We needed an extra 5 points, so I did my NVQ 4 in management, had NVQ 3, but that was no good, as at June 2007. Had to pull out nearly £2,000 to do that. I managed it, and past.
Our application went in Feb 08, he had to be doing the job for 12 out of 18 months. But found out in Sept 07 that he had to sit an IELTS test. Anyway after alot of worry and grey hair coming in, he past it first time. Great another step further. How is that for dedication. Can you imagine how disappointed we are going to be if we dont get through.

Now there are the huge delays in processing the application. We still havent heard anything and emailed our agent to find out on holiday til 1st Sept 08 ! once we have the go ahead, its on with the medicals etc etc. From holiday Up to now we have been planning for 2 year 4 months and god am I sick now, we just cannot make any plans, waiting for the go ahead ! :curse:

Good luck with yours!

Australia_bound? Jul 7th 2008 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Catfucius (Post 6544699)

I've wanted to move for 20 years. Think I may be a tad over the average on here lol. Think it'll be 25 years by the time I get there :unsure:

Nick Gill Jul 7th 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Catfucius (Post 6545468)
Destination unknown :sneaky:,,simply because i want to go to one place Melly and OH :zzz: is up for Perth...I will have to keep my mind open as when it comes to it Iwill have to way up the options for those taking on a Old Age Pensioner of a nurse :lol::eek:,,Im going down the nursing route too:thumbsup:

seen a thread somewhere where us old farts (said in complete jest as i dont fart :rofl:) can get in, might hop over and sign up for the over 40's club)

Well I guess I will be joining you then - in the old farts club that is - Im not admitting or denying the fart bit tho :blink::blink:

Luckily (I think) I am on my own so dont have to consider where anyone else wants to go :p:p but Perth and Melbourne are on my short list

Catfucius Jul 8th 2008 7:06 am

Originally Posted by kurrikurri (Post 6545513)
I agree, no average time. Some people seem to be able to go straight in and our plans seem to be going on and on and on and on.

After our holiday in March 2006, we looked at the process and started it in September 2006. My husband is a roof tiler/slater by trade, kept his hand in for friends etc, but needed to be in paid employment to prove he was doing it!! Therefore set up his own roofing business September 06, bought a van had all the gear and away he went. We needed an extra 5 points, so I did my NVQ 4 in management, had NVQ 3, but that was no good, as at June 2007. Had to pull out nearly £2,000 to do that. I managed it, and past.
Our application went in Feb 08, he had to be doing the job for 12 out of 18 months. But found out in Sept 07 that he had to sit an IELTS test. Anyway after alot of worry and grey hair coming in, he past it first time. Great another step further. How is that for dedication. Can you imagine how disappointed we are going to be if we dont get through.

Now there are the huge delays in processing the application. We still havent heard anything and emailed our agent to find out on holiday til 1st Sept 08 ! once we have the go ahead, its on with the medicals etc etc. From holiday Up to now we have been planning for 2 year 4 months and god am I sick now, we just cannot make any plans, waiting for the go ahead ! :curse:

Good luck with yours!

:curse: what a pain in the butt!! my stomach would be knots!! well you've got determination :thumbsup:, reading through folks stories there seems to be quite a few hurdles to get over to destination oz:thumbup:

Catfucius Jul 8th 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Australia_bound? (Post 6545698)
I've wanted to move for 20 years. Think I may be a tad over the average on here lol. Think it'll be 25 years by the time I get there :unsure:

:blink::blink: is that because you were yearning to go whilst a child and watching skippy?:eek: (i loved skippy he/she was my first taste of Australia!)

Catfucius Jul 8th 2008 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Nick Gill (Post 6545969)
Well I guess I will be joining you then - in the old farts club that is - Im not admitting or denying the fart bit tho :blink::blink:

Luckily (I think) I am on my own so dont have to consider where anyone else wants to go :p:p but Perth and Melbourne are on my short list

You dont look at day over 25 on your avatar :D, obviously my avatar shows me squinting in the sun with a bowl on my head but i was having a good hair day :rofl::rofl:.

Whats the Australian for fart? they have their own slang for things :ohmy:, will have to look it up! and make that my official club for over 40's, (obviously there will only be me in it :blink: as being a cat im anti social!! ) sorry i told you the madness is a comfort!

hereshoping Jul 8th 2008 8:03 am

We decided we wanted to go in September 2005, will finally be going in 16 days time :)
I think that's about average TBH, we had to get sufficient experience to get the points we needed.

Catfucius Jul 8th 2008 8:26 am

Originally Posted by hereshoping (Post 6547102)
We decided we wanted to go in September 2005, will finally be going in 16 days time :)
I think that's about average TBH, we had to get sufficient experience to get the points we needed.

hmm so not far off the three year mark,,gosh bet your well excited now :eek:, starting to sink in that your off to the other side of the world :cool:,,My plan isnt to far off the mark then really :D, cos ive got to study for three years and then start see my best route during year three..

16 days and counting!! all the very best..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mike-Ju Jul 8th 2008 8:34 am

Im starting my second year of my degree but if I want to use my career as the main visa vocation Id have to spend 3 years gaining experiance, luckily my husbandsa chef but because pathway D was taken away he now has to do his NVQ3 and thatll take another year before we can start so Im hoping only another 2 years to go... 2010 is our goal.:rofl:

Your not the only mad fool on here, TRUST ME:thumbsup:

Catfucius Jul 8th 2008 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mike-Ju (Post 6547169)
Im starting my second year of my degree but if I want to use my career as the main visa vocation Id have to spend 3 years gaining experiance, luckily my husbandsa chef but because pathway D was taken away he now has to do his NVQ3 and thatll take another year before we can start so Im hoping only another 2 years to go... 2010 is our goal.:rofl:

Your not the only mad fool on here, TRUST ME:thumbsup:

Hi :D, this is gettting better, me thinks that their quite a lot of us :thumbsup: including those that lurk ( i know i was one for quite a while :huh:)

We are like groupies :eek::eek: hanging around and basking in the glory of those that are actually doing it:rofl:

should we start a groupie thread ..lol!! :lol: