Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:22 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Latest seemingly unfair dismissals following the new IR laws being introduced in Australia:

Worker sacked for smirking, claims union
Friday April 21, 2006
A worker at a Melbourne engineering company has been sacked for smirking at his boss, according to the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU).

The AMWU will hold a protest rally outside Finley Engineering in suburban Heidelberg West, at 6.30am (AEST) today, after the man and two others were dismissed by the company.

AMWU state secretary Dave Oliver said the trio were sacked two weeks ago.

"One staff member was sacked for supposedly smirking at the boss and a second one was sacked for going to his defence," Mr Oliver said.

"The third guy, he's been on WorkCover, and the company just said, 'You're out of here'.

"These are long-term employees as well. They've been there for several years."

Mr Oliver said the employer had written on the certificate of one of the men that the reason for dismissal was that "he'd been disrespectful".

He said the AMWU intended to fight the dismissals in the Industrial Relations Commission and take the matter to court if necessary.

"Despite the new (industrial relations) laws coming into place, we've lodged an application for a unfair termination and that goes to conciliation in the (Industrial Relations) Commission in about three weeks," he said.

"And then it should get referred to the Federal Magistrates Court."

Mr Oliver said he was also concerned about a new workplace agreement that Finley Engineering had put to employees, which he believed involved them being paid a flat rate of $14 an hour between 5pm and 2am.

"We're trying to get hold of it to find out how legitimate it is," he said.

Mr Oliver said he expected there would be a good turn-out for the solidarity breakfast at the front gate to Finley Engineering.

"It is a sign of support for the guys who've been sacked," he said.

"We want to get a message to the employer that they can't simply get away with this."

Comment was being sought from Finley Engineering.

Source:http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=96635
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:33 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

I got sacked for laughing on the job once. Never wanted to be a funeral director anyway.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:16 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I got sacked for laughing on the job once. Never wanted to be a funeral director anyway.
LOL
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Latest seemingly unfair dismissals following the new IR laws being introduced in Australia:

Friday April 21, 2006
A worker at a Melbourne engineering company has been sacked for smirking at his boss, according to the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU).

The AMWU will hold a protest rally outside Finley Engineering in suburban Heidelberg West, at 6.30am (AEST) today, after the man and two others were dismissed by the company.

AMWU state secretary Dave Oliver said the trio were sacked two weeks ago.

"One staff member was sacked for supposedly smirking at the boss and a second one was sacked for going to his defence," Mr Oliver said.

"The third guy, he's been on WorkCover, and the company just said, 'You're out of here'.

"These are long-term employees as well. They've been there for several years."

Mr Oliver said the employer had written on the certificate of one of the men that the reason for dismissal was that "he'd been disrespectful".

He said the AMWU intended to fight the dismissals in the Industrial Relations Commission and take the matter to court if necessary.

"Despite the new (industrial relations) laws coming into place, we've lodged an application for a unfair termination and that goes to conciliation in the (Industrial Relations) Commission in about three weeks," he said.

"And then it should get referred to the Federal Magistrates Court."

Mr Oliver said he was also concerned about a new workplace agreement that Finley Engineering had put to employees, which he believed involved them being paid a flat rate of $14 an hour between 5pm and 2am.

"We're trying to get hold of it to find out how legitimate it is," he said.

Mr Oliver said he expected there would be a good turn-out for the solidarity breakfast at the front gate to Finley Engineering.

"It is a sign of support for the guys who've been sacked," he said.

"We want to get a message to the employer that they can't simply get away with this."

Comment was being sought from Finley Engineering.

If it's true then it's disgraceful & wrong but as with most things there are probably 2 sides to this story. As it's a union putting it's side of the arguement you will probably find that they are not telling the whole truth. If that is the true reason for the dismissal then it should/would be overturned by the courts.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Friday April 21, 2006
How many employees does this company have? It will need to have 100 or less in order to sack this guy on the basis of the new IR laws. Otherwise it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Even if it does have 100 employees or less, chances are that we're hearing only one (small) part of the story. And as Amazulu says, this will probably be overturned in court.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
How many employees does this company have? It will need to have 100 or less in order to sack this guy on the basis of the new IR laws. Otherwise it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Even if it does have 100 employees or less, chances are that we're hearing only one (small) part of the story. And as Amazulu says, this will probably be overturned in court.
I will follow the story with interest.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

I will follow the story with interest.
I'm sure they'll be extra careful now that they know you're watching!

I, too, shall follow the story with interest.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:44 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The courier mail had coverage (which I now can't find) quoting the govt minister as saying that the workforce investigators were at the firm investigating this and they were pretty sure there was more to it than the union were saying and also suggesting it might be more productive for the union to talk to the workforce investigators than the press...
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:03 am
Fighting my corner

Talking Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Originally Posted by spalen
The courier mail had coverage (which I now can't find) quoting the govt minister as saying that the workforce investigators were at the firm investigating this and they were pretty sure there was more to it than the union were saying and also suggesting it might be more productive for the union to talk to the workforce investigators than the press...
LOL, typical unions; blagging like there's no tomorrow!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

I remember one extremely obnoxious manager I had.

I used to refer to her as a malignant, narcissistic lump of gob-shite.

Whenever I used to have to see her, she used to pull funny faces at me, I could never quite grasp why............ in the end I got somewhat fed up with this and decided to pull funny faces back at her, I named it the funny face competition.

Strangely enough this woman held a very responsible position within an Organization known to us all.

She always considered herself intellectually superior to others due to her University degree.

Unbeknown to her I went away to the University of Manchester and did a MSc.

When we had yet another round of silly employee ethnic cleansing, you should have seen the look on her face when she realized I had gained a MSc………….absolutely priceless!

Beauty of it all is that she left the Organization under a bit of a cloud and then and only then did the finger of doom point to this despicable woman.

SC if you happen to read this you are a malignant, narcissistic lump of gob-shite and I would not touch you with a sterilized barge pole (she once made pass at me……….really at my age as well!).

Ahhhhhh…….that feels better.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Friday April 21, 2006

Hmm, we know another long term employee who is rather fond of smirking and wouldn't we like to sack him.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:38 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

I agree that if this is true (although reading down the thread it seems that there might be more to it) it is disgusting. I am totally for worker's rights etc but I can honestly say that in my 8 years experience of managing people I never sacked anyone who worked hard, helped me reach my targets and was good at their job (no matter how much our personalities clashed!).

Yes, from what I've read on there and the way the Unions are spinning it, the work reforms can seem bad and threatening and scary, but the way to ensure your job stays safe is surely to be good at it? No manager in their right mind would ever sack an employee who was good at their job and made lots of money for the company?! If they did then in a market with skill shortages they would be mad and in the long term their business would suffer anyway.

Michelle
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If it's true then it's disgraceful & wrong but as with most things there are probably 2 sides to this story. As it's a union putting it's side of the arguement you will probably find that they are not telling the whole truth. If that is the true reason for the dismissal then it should/would be overturned by the courts.
For the alleged two sides to the story go to www.theage.com.au and under Boss denies smirking charge near the top you'll see audio - the worker's tale and the boss's tale. Reading the boss's denial I wouldn't give him this month's Best Employee Relations award.

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:44 am
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Hmm, we know another long term employee who is rather fond of smirking and wouldn't we like to sack him.
LOL, I think he knows and that's why he's resigning!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:45 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Originally Posted by michellemac
I agree that if this is true (although reading down the thread it seems that there might be more to it) it is disgusting. I am totally for worker's rights etc but I can honestly say that in my 8 years experience of managing people I never sacked anyone who worked hard, helped me reach my targets and was good at their job (no matter how much our personalities clashed!).

Yes, from what I've read on there and the way the Unions are spinning it, the work reforms can seem bad and threatening and scary, but the way to ensure your job stays safe is surely to be good at it? No manager in their right mind would ever sack an employee who was good at their job and made lots of money for the company?! If they did then in a market with skill shortages they would be mad and in the long term their business would suffer anyway.

Michelle
Very well said, mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.