British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Long Service Leave (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/long-service-leave-490774/)

NewOZ Oct 31st 2007 11:36 am

Long Service Leave

i have about 14 days long service leave as i am working for about 3 and a half years in a company
i have resigned last week, will they pay me any of my Long Service Leave?
i live in Vic

Pollyana Oct 31st 2007 11:43 am

Re: Long Service Leave

Originally Posted by NewOZ (Post 5492798)
i have about 14 days long service leave as i am working for about 3 and a half years in a company
i live in Vic

What does your contract say? Often LSL isn't usable or payable until you have done about 20 years with the employer.

walla Oct 31st 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by NewOZ (Post 5492798)
i live in Vic

No.

walla Oct 31st 2007 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5492828)
What does your contract say? Often LSL isn't usable or payable until you have done about 20 years with the employer.

20 years?:eek:

I get mine every 7 years:)

Pollyana Oct 31st 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5492837)
20 years?:eek:

I get mine every 7 years:)

Varies - can be anything up to that. If yours is 7 years you're lucky! Mine would have been 10, but they keep stuffing up my payslips and resetting all the leave figures to 0 ! :mad:

walla Oct 31st 2007 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5492870)
Varies - can be anything up to that. If yours is 7 years you're lucky! Mine would have been 10, but they keep stuffing up my payslips and resetting all the leave figures to 0 ! :mad:

I'm sure you can chase that up, unless .... you were on a temp contract before you started permanently...

And yes, it can vary from 7 years upwards, the missus was on 10 years, cousin is on 13.

Wendy Oct 31st 2007 12:38 pm

Long service leave was designed to provide employees with the opportunity to take an extended paid break from work in recognition of the length of service with an employer. (The origins go back over a century where employees of the Crown became entitled to paid leave after 10 years to enable them to return to England. NSW introduced the LSL act in 1955 and other states followed suit)

Not all awards will include LSL and in this case the state legislation will apply.

Entitlement differs between states and is currently the follwing:

Federal - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
NSW - after 10 years - 2 months off
Vic - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
QLD after 15 years - 13 weeks off
SA - after 10 years - 13 weeks off
WA - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
Tas - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
NT - after 10 years - 13 weeks off
ACT after 10 years - 2 months off.

Unused LSL would be payable to employees upon termination of employments. The qualifying periods differ again and are:

NSW, Vic, QLD and WA the period is 10 years

SA, TAS, NT and ACT the period is 7 years.

If you leave before you are eligible then you may be eligible for pro-rata entitlement dependant upon your reason for leaving.

LSL is paid on ordinary rates of pay only, and does not include overtime, bonuses etc.

Full Time, Part time and casual employees are entitled to LSL. ;)

walla Oct 31st 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5493027)
Long service leave was designed to provide employees with the opportunity to take an extended paid break from work in recognition of the length of service with an employer. (The origins go back over a century where employees of the Crown became entitled to paid leave after 10 years to enable them to return to England. NSW introduced the LSL act in 1955 and other states followed suit)

Not all awards will include LSL and in this case the state legislation will apply.

Entitlement differs between states and is currently the follwing:

Federal - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
NSW - after 10 years - 2 months off
Vic - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
QLD after 15 years - 13 weeks off
SA - after 10 years - 13 weeks off
WA - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
Tas - after 15 years - 13 weeks off
NT - after 10 years - 13 weeks off
ACT after 10 years - 2 months off.

Unused LSL would be payable to employees upon termination of employments. The qualifying periods differ again and are:

NSW, Vic, QLD and WA the period is 10 years

SA, TAS, NT and ACT the period is 7 years.

If you leave before you are eligible then you may be eligible for pro-rata entitlement dependant upon your reason for leaving.

LSL is paid on ordinary rates of pay only, and does not include overtime, bonuses etc.

Full Time, Part time and casual employees are entitled to LSL. ;)

Can't comment on other states but WA is way off, partly I presume, because there must have been different awards since the original legislation:)

And edit: LSL is awarded for exactly that, do your time and one gets awarded with LSL, I've never heard of people being paid out for LSL if they haven't done their time......

Bordy Oct 31st 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5493080)
Can't comment on other states but WA is way off, partly I presume, because there must have been different awards since the original legislation:)

And edit: LSL is awarded for exactly that, do your time and one gets awarded with LSL, I've never heard of people being paid out for LSL if they haven't done their time......

My LSL appears on my payslip now after 7 years as pro rata. I can't use it until 10 years but I was told if I left now it would be paid.

breezeboylan Oct 31st 2007 6:19 pm

mine is 12 weeks after 10 years and then every 7 after that. Thats in WA but they are trying to get it all changed to 7 years:D
Tracie

Wendy Oct 31st 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5493080)

I just wrote down what was in my study book :lol:

renth Oct 31st 2007 11:47 pm

I get 13 weeks after 10 years. Nothing if I leave before.