Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long post, boring story, any help appreciated

Long post, boring story, any help appreciated

Old Mar 27th 2006, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

tel3563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Long post, boring story, any help appreciated

Couple of years ago was all for moving to Oz or Nz, wife persuaded me to forget it and concentrate on business here. 2 years down the line and i now wish i'd started the process when i first thought of it, I've now started looking into move again but have come across a few negatives that need clearing up in my mind.
Employment: When i was 18 i decided i was good enough not too finish my City & Guilds so I duly left my Bricklaying Apprenticeship early (to earn big money) not getting the C & G. This was 24 years ago and i've never thought twice about it but now it seems to be a problem, I can get literally 100's of people to vouch for my work, in fact most people think i'm the bees knees and would laugh at the thought of me being refused a visa on the grounds of not being a "proper tradesman"
10 years ago i decided that house bashing (building houses or similar on price work, ie, go like billy o and earn £££'s) was not for the 30 something bricklayer and i decided to go into a supervisory role for a small building firm, I went from foreman, to site manager to contracts manager in 2 years, unfortunately, although offered, I never attended the stupid courses that tell you the PC way to run sites, do the obvious etc etc, so i never got any diploma to say "you are a good gaffer", just excellent references from the Managing Director. This company decided to re locate to Fife Scotland, and I was offered not only another job but a 25% stake, there is another long story behind my decision to refuse this but i'll spare you............
I decided to venture as a junior partner of a Development Company and became a director very quickly, finishing up as Construction Director dealing with Projects worth Millions of pounds. I did this for a few years and to be frank got disallusioned with the incompetence of the average British Tradesman/sub contractor , I decided to start my own small company which is where i am today, the reason for the life story is that now i've got my mind set on Oz, i find out I may not be eligible as a Bricklayer, never mind any other experience i may have, seems like lunacy to me and i'm hoping someone on this forum is going to tell me its poppycock. All I wanted to do was set up my own Construction firm in a better climate and a more laid back way of life, surely some common sense must come into it somewhere down the line!!

Second moot point is my age, at 42, although no spring chicken, i'm far from over the hill, i've been told by some that I probably won't be able to keep up with the young whipper snapper brickies over there (must be a lot better than our young uns cos they ain't great shakes ), the point being i don't want to. I want to build quality houses and build quality extensions, there must be a market and there must be a way!!

I do have family who live in Oz and could probably get enough points any way but the point is what am i going to do when i get there, I ain't going back house bashing and I'm not keen on working for someone else for any length of time, any one with any suggestions that would ease my mind please post, or should i just resign my self to living in Blighty :scared:
Any way, well done to anyone who made it to the end of my rant and here's hoping for some good news
Terry
Old Mar 27th 2006, 7:26 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Long post, boring story, any help appreciated

My husband and I are just starting off on the visa route. he is a joiner / floor fitter and he is self employed AND he has no formal qualifications in what he does. We are no experts but substantial work experience can count in lieu of formal qualifications. Why don't you visit www.workplace.gov.au/tra where it gives you loads of info about what you need.

You can get bonus points for capital investment too so your age may not stop you.

We are using Go matilda migration agents because our TRA app will not be as straightforward as other people with City and Guilds etc. Go on their website. We will be lodging our TRA app soon and they have given us good information and their fees seem very reasonable.

Like you, I have wanted to go for years but husband didn't. Has changed his mind now and I wish we had done it before now to get more age points!!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 7:28 pm
Taking first steps...

Meryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant futureMeryn & Steve has a brilliant future
Question Re: Long post, boring story, any help appreciated

Me again. Maybe I misunderstood. Think you're pretty clued up aren't you on the old visa process just wondering what to do when you get there? Sorry, no answer to that although why don't you look for businesses for sale?
Old Mar 27th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Long post, boring story, any help appreciated

Originally Posted by tel3563
Couple of years ago was all for moving to Oz or Nz, wife persuaded me to forget it and concentrate on business here. 2 years down the line and i now wish i'd started the process when i first thought of it, I've now started looking into move again but have come across a few negatives that need clearing up in my mind.
Employment: When i was 18 i decided i was good enough not too finish my City & Guilds so I duly left my Bricklaying Apprenticeship early (to earn big money) not getting the C & G. This was 24 years ago and i've never thought twice about it but now it seems to be a problem, I can get literally 100's of people to vouch for my work, in fact most people think i'm the bees knees and would laugh at the thought of me being refused a visa on the grounds of not being a "proper tradesman"
10 years ago i decided that house bashing (building houses or similar on price work, ie, go like billy o and earn £££'s) was not for the 30 something bricklayer and i decided to go into a supervisory role for a small building firm, I went from foreman, to site manager to contracts manager in 2 years, unfortunately, although offered, I never attended the stupid courses that tell you the PC way to run sites, do the obvious etc etc, so i never got any diploma to say "you are a good gaffer", just excellent references from the Managing Director. This company decided to re locate to Fife Scotland, and I was offered not only another job but a 25% stake, there is another long story behind my decision to refuse this but i'll spare you............
I decided to venture as a junior partner of a Development Company and became a director very quickly, finishing up as Construction Director dealing with Projects worth Millions of pounds. I did this for a few years and to be frank got disallusioned with the incompetence of the average British Tradesman/sub contractor , I decided to start my own small company which is where i am today, the reason for the life story is that now i've got my mind set on Oz, i find out I may not be eligible as a Bricklayer, never mind any other experience i may have, seems like lunacy to me and i'm hoping someone on this forum is going to tell me its poppycock. All I wanted to do was set up my own Construction firm in a better climate and a more laid back way of life, surely some common sense must come into it somewhere down the line!!

Second moot point is my age, at 42, although no spring chicken, i'm far from over the hill, i've been told by some that I probably won't be able to keep up with the young whipper snapper brickies over there (must be a lot better than our young uns cos they ain't great shakes ), the point being i don't want to. I want to build quality houses and build quality extensions, there must be a market and there must be a way!!

I do have family who live in Oz and could probably get enough points any way but the point is what am i going to do when i get there, I ain't going back house bashing and I'm not keen on working for someone else for any length of time, any one with any suggestions that would ease my mind please post, or should i just resign my self to living in Blighty :scared:
Any way, well done to anyone who made it to the end of my rant and here's hoping for some good news
Terry
Hi there Terry all is not lost 'i myself am an elctrician and was not fully qualified but i have 15 plus years off doing the job.
I used an agent as i new it would not be to easy and didn't want to make loads of mistakes that would hold the proses up.
In the end it was just a case of getting references off previouse employers and sending what certificates i had 'which was 16th edition and some health and safety stuff plus evidence off work experience.
You might be wise to speak to a agent to begin with they are quite helpfull and will tell you straight if it's worth it or not.
All the best in what you decide.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The general standard of bricklaying in Oz is appalling - quote from architects, building managers and from personal experience. So come on, let's be having you!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Terry
Hi there, where do you want to go, if you go regional you could try get a sponsor.
We came over on sponsor visa, hubby is tied to them for 2 years, thats not a problem, at least he had a job to come to.
You will have to do Stat dec, of work you have done, and references, my hubby had gas cert, city and guilds but not plumbing, so did stat, dec. and passed TRA.
Hope this helps, Denise
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wol
The general standard of bricklaying in Oz is appalling - quote from architects, building managers and from personal experience. So come on, let's be having you!
Nice one wol, is that remark considered as official sponsorship
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi there, where do you want to go, if you go regional you could try get a sponsor.
We came over on sponsor visa, hubby is tied to them for 2 years, thats not a problem, at least he had a job to come to.
You will have to do Stat dec, of work you have done, and references, my hubby had gas cert, city and guilds but not plumbing, so did stat, dec. and passed TRA.
Hope this helps, Denise
Thanks Denise, how do I go about getting a sponsor, agents or good old pen & paper, cheers
tel
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one wol, is that remark considered as official sponsorship
Can you do pointing? It's considered a bit OTT here and something that only the finest crafstmen are able to tackle. Hence the number of "bagged brick" houses - a poor man's stucco. Just a wipe down with cement slurry: it hides the mortar-stained brickwork and lack of pointing!

Not sure whether I would count as a sponsor!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Denise, how do I go about getting a sponsor, agents or good old pen & paper, cheers
tel
Hi, i know the lady here who deals with that visa, at the south west development, Bunbury.
Dont know where you are heading.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:40 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Tel, this is not my area of expertise (i'm a nurse) so everyone please forgive me if I'm talking shite!

Could you not go to Oz on a business visa.....just take your company and set it up in Oz....would you still need evidence of all your qualifications? Not sure exactly how it works sorry....perhaps some one else can help.

jackie
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I do have family who live in Oz and could probably get enough points any way but the point is what am i going to do when i get there
It is not that simple I am afraid.

The fact that you have family there counts for very little.

It also depends where they live.

G
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:43 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

tel
Hi Tony,

the "Go Matilda" website it here: http://www.gomatilda.com

There is a form you can fill in for a free preliminary assessment. They will give you a phone call back once you've submitted the form.

Good luck.

Gina
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Tony,

the "Go Matilda" website it here: http://www.gomatilda.com

There is a form you can fill in for a free preliminary assessment. They will give you a phone call back once you've submitted the form.

Good luck.

Gina
Thanks for the reply Gina (whos Tony ) but can get in on tra bricklaying, but at 42 not going permanently subcontracting, the more I look into this the more problems I see, regs worse than UK and I thought that was impossible
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wol
Can you do pointing? It's considered a bit OTT here and something that only the finest crafstmen are able to tackle. Hence the number of "bagged brick" houses - a poor man's stucco. Just a wipe down with cement slurry: it hides the mortar-stained brickwork and lack of pointing!

Not sure whether I would count as a sponsor!
With my eyes closed and whilst ironing at the same time GOOD ENOUGH?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.