Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!

Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!

Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:50 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!

Originally Posted by sloake
My Vote

Oz - Dame Edna of course

UK - Vikki Pollard...
I've just had a brilliant idea.

What about John Howard and Tony Blair?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:55 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
If it "Ain't broken"!!!!

Keel
That line took longer than I thought it would.

It is broken. We live in the 21st century. The idea of a society based on class and privilege has long passed us by and should be challenged at every point.

Additionally it is broken because the Monarch's own inability to act means that we no longer have any true checks or balances in our Parliamentary system. Since the Parliament Act of 1949 the Lord's has effectively been powerless (an institution that should also be replaced) so we effectively live with a uincameral parliament in the UK.

So my point it: it is broken. A strong leader with the backing of his party can effectively take any action based on circa 37% of the popular vote. It's time for a change.

Paul.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sloake

UK - Vikki Pollard...
Well Yeah but no but yeah but no but...........
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
That line took longer than I thought it would.

It is broken. We live in the 21st century. The idea of a society based on class and privilege has long passed us by and should be challenged at every point.

Additionally it is broken because the Monarch's own inability to act means that we no longer have any true checks or balances in our Parliamentary system. Since the Parliament Act of 1949 the Lord's has effectively been powerless (an institution that should also be replaced) so we effectively live with a uincameral parliament in the UK.

So my point it: it is broken. A strong leader with the backing of his party can effectively take any action based on circa 37% of the popular vote. It's time for a change.

Paul.
I don't wish to enter the monarchy vs republic debate but what is a uincameral parliament?? Even if it is a typo, unicameral?

OzTennis
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:17 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I don't wish to enter the monarchy vs republic debate but what is a uincameral parliament?? Even if it is a typo, unicameral?

OzTennis
Here
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Thanks mate, what I suspected, uni being one and all that (except in Oz where it means university!)

Even one house is no guarantee though - the Scottish Parliament passed a law banning fox hunting; a hunt in the Scottish Borders was the first prosecuted under the new law; a judge let them off last week because they shot the fox when the dogs flushed it out; law didn't apply said judge.

OzTennis
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:06 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lathlain
What? And end up like the United States???!!! Dont be a dope, aint gonna happen, long live the Queen!

Sad that even Christian heritage is also going down the pan as well, all in the name of new age progress, what tripe!
As previously said, the UK doesn't have to adopt the US model. It could adopt the Irish model, where you have nice quiet presidents called Mary.

France seems have retained its attraction for tourists without keeping the Monarchy in place.

After Prince Charles' recent complaints about people not accepting their station in life, I am more convinced that the philanderer should not become King (even if he does change his name to George).

Cheers
Alistair
Old Dec 13th 2004, 9:38 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Well I used to be a real anti-royalist but as I've got older my opinion has changed.
I actually like the royal family now, they are one of the few things British that the PC brigade have yet to take away from us. As Britain is gradually turned into a Muslim country I think we need to hang on to the monarchy.
Prince William seems a decent chap and Prince Philip and his complete lack of political correctness is a joy.

The rest of the world is only jealous anyway, most countries would love to have our monarchy and the money that they generate.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

No, you can't get rid of the monarchy just when we were finally getting a South African in there ... .On a serious note though, (and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) but I have read that the monarchy puts it's "name/stamp" on over 700 charities and raises more revenue for these charities than it costs to keep the monarchy going. If all it takes is 3 minutes of Prince Harry standing with 2 little AIDS orphans in Lesotho to raise funds and awareness, then I am all for it.

And anything that shifts Paris Hilton out of the tabloids for one more nano-second...
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:00 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oz will go republican and hopefully the US presidential model will not be the one taken.

The Queen is head of the Church of England and not head of Christianity. Britain worships down the pub and curry house not church. Good riddance to her, all the hangers on and the in-bred slags.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

holsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy
My vote:

Australia: Steve Irwin.

UK: The 'Lady' of Little Britain.

Life would be so much more entertaining.
What about...

Australia: Kylie
and, errrr...
UK: Kylie

Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Oz will go republican and hopefully the US presidential model will not be the one taken.

The Queen is head of the Church of England and not head of Christianity. Britain worships down the pub and curry house not church. Good riddance to her, all the hangers on and the in-bred slags.
I admire what the queen has done during her lifetime. I empathise with the fact that they didn't choose the life they have.

Having said that I'm all for an Australian republic. I don't care about what the UK decides to do.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Off with their heads

http://www.throneout.com/

If England do want her, they can keep her to themselves and her big eared, wally of a son. He's an insult.
Attached Thumbnails Long Live the Republic - Time for the Queen to Go!!!-burn-baby.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 14th 2004 at 12:29 am.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:30 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

(Annus horribilus) did it for me I'm afraid, bitch can't even talk to us in English, even if the translation was apparent. Bloody ANUS HORRIBILASS

Slater

Originally Posted by renth
I admire what the queen has done during her lifetime. I empathise with the fact that they didn't choose the life they have.

Having said that I'm all for an Australian republic. I don't care about what the UK decides to do.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:00 am
PommieLeague

Very sad and unthoughted out replies one would say, think you'll be very sorry if it ever comes to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.