Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

lonely 3 year old boy, anyone fancy a play date on the GOLD COAST?

lonely 3 year old boy, anyone fancy a play date on the GOLD COAST?

Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:30 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default lonely 3 year old boy, anyone fancy a play date on the GOLD COAST?

our son woke up wailing this morning, running into us crying "i've got no friends, i miss my friends"

he was beside himself
hes a very social boy, absolutely loves to make friends of all ages, but so far, he has made friends with all his cousins who have come up to visit since we arrived on the gold coast on the 1st june, and loved them ,but then had to say goodbye again
its been like leaving the uk all over again,loosing his friends and all, and now he gets all funny when he knows the fun is over and he has to say goodbye...poor little mate...

we have gone to a church each sunday, and i've taken him to a creche, and sat in with him too, trying to see which kids he likes and trying to get to know their mums, but so far we've gotten no where with meeting anyone...
we met a nice family in bunnings, who we invited to his birthday party, but the kid is a year younger, and we have only seen them the once so far, as mom is preg/morning sick so not going out much atm...

we have a little girl, turning 1 in a few weeks , and our boy has just turned 3.
we don't have any friends yet either, but that is not as desperate as our poor ds situation

i will try taking him to a playgroup, but what he really wants is a friend who will come over to play at his house with his train set and toys, or vice versa...a real friend, not just a playgroup...

we are getting a really nice coffee machine next week too,so us mums can have a nice coffee and a nibble while the kids play
it would be nice to have someone to take the kids to the beach and other outings with too...

if there are a few of us, we could do a coffee morning, play thing once a week???

we live in parkwood, but 1 min away from the pacific hwy, so quick and easy to get to, and i have a car, so will drive to anywhere on the gold coast too...

i know i risk sounding like a loser with no friends, but we really aren't the desperate type and made some really good friends while we lived in the uk, but it takes time to do that in a new place, and i am willing to look like a desperado to help our son adjust! unfortunately our son really needs a friend now, bless him!

he won't mind if its a boy or a girl to play with, as he likes both, but bullies need not apply
his best friend turned into a frightful bully when she started walking and it only got worse as she got older,with hitting and kicking and mental torture games (pity the bloke she marries one day!) so that was a positive side of leaving the uk (as it was my best friends daughter, and she wasn't really one we could avoid!)

anyway, if anyone is interested in meeting up, please let me know...

thanks
katrina

Last edited by chocciecake; Jul 17th 2009 at 12:33 am.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: lonely 3 year old boy, anyone fancy a play date on the GOLD COAST?

hi Katrina

My kids would be up for a meet, I'm not sure if their maybe a bit too old though (My middle two are 5 nearly 6) and their all girls too so though he wont be bullied he might be overly mothered!

I've also got a 15mth old baby girl, a 6 year old and an 11 yr old.

We're a bit further south than you in Varsity Lakes but if you would like to arrange something just let me know, I'm quite happy to drive too.

let me know

Lindsay x
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake

our son woke up wailing this morning, running into us crying "i've got no friends, i miss my friends"

he was beside himself
hes a very social boy, absolutely loves to make friends of all ages, but so far, he has made friends with all his cousins who have come up to visit since we arrived on the gold coast on the 1st june, and loved them ,but then had to say goodbye again
its been like leaving the uk all over again,loosing his friends and all, and now he gets all funny when he knows the fun is over and he has to say goodbye...poor little mate...

we have gone to a church each sunday, and i've taken him to a creche, and sat in with him too, trying to see which kids he likes and trying to get to know their mums, but so far we've gotten no where with meeting anyone...
we met a nice family in bunnings, who we invited to his birthday party, but the kid is a year younger, and we have only seen them the once so far, as mom is preg/morning sick so not going out much atm...

we have a little girl, turning 1 in a few weeks , and our boy has just turned 3.
we don't have any friends yet either, but that is not as desperate as our poor ds situation

i will try taking him to a playgroup, but what he really wants is a friend who will come over to play at his house with his train set and toys, or vice versa...a real friend, not just a playgroup...

we are getting a really nice coffee machine next week too,so us mums can have a nice coffee and a nibble while the kids play
it would be nice to have someone to take the kids to the beach and other outings with too...

if there are a few of us, we could do a coffee morning, play thing once a week???

we live in parkwood, but 1 min away from the pacific hwy, so quick and easy to get to, and i have a car, so will drive to anywhere on the gold coast too...

i know i risk sounding like a loser with no friends, but we really aren't the desperate type and made some really good friends while we lived in the uk, but it takes time to do that in a new place, and i am willing to look like a desperado to help our son adjust! unfortunately our son really needs a friend now, bless him!

he won't mind if its a boy or a girl to play with, as he likes both, but bullies need not apply
his best friend turned into a frightful bully when she started walking and it only got worse as she got older,with hitting and kicking and mental torture games (pity the bloke she marries one day!) so that was a positive side of leaving the uk (as it was my best friends daughter, and she wasn't really one we could avoid!)

anyway, if anyone is interested in meeting up, please let me know...

thanks
katrina
If you go to a playgroup, you will meet people and get to know them and then be able to invite them over. My little girl (4) plays with anyone at the park and by randomly chatting to another child's mum we were invited to a playgroup. We go every week now and we see this little girl at other times too. I am even going on a girl's night out as I have gotten quite friendly with her auntie - Yay!

We got here in May. I am not the loudest person out there but I have gotten very proactive - I will go and chat to Mums at the park using any old excuse. I have been given some good tips of things to do with kids and clubs to join. My 4 yr old and 11 month old have started swimming this week so that's another place we may meet people. My little girl was invited to a birthday party the other week of a girl from her ballet class because I chat to her Mum each week.

Can your little one do Gymbaroos or a club like that? What about 3 year old Kinder? (Not sure if that's an option in QLD)

Reading this back, I'm sorry if it sounds off, I'm just trying to show that by being brave and gung ho, friends can be made!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:11 am

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
hi Katrina

My kids would be up for a meet, I'm not sure if their maybe a bit too old though (My middle two are 5 nearly 6) and their all girls too so though he wont be bullied he might be overly mothered!

I've also got a 15mth old baby girl, a 6 year old and an 11 yr old.

We're a bit further south than you in Varsity Lakes but if you would like to arrange something just let me know, I'm quite happy to drive too.

let me know

Lindsay x
that would be lovely lindsay...i will pm you!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by itigo
If you go to a playgroup, you will meet people and get to know them and then be able to invite them over. My little girl (4) plays with anyone at the park and by randomly chatting to another child's mum we were invited to a playgroup. We go every week now and we see this little girl at other times too. I am even going on a girl's night out as I have gotten quite friendly with her auntie - Yay!

We got here in May. I am not the loudest person out there but I have gotten very proactive - I will go and chat to Mums at the park using any old excuse. I have been given some good tips of things to do with kids and clubs to join. My 4 yr old and 11 month old have started swimming this week so that's another place we may meet people. My little girl was invited to a birthday party the other week of a girl from her ballet class because I chat to her Mum each week.

Can your little one do Gymbaroos or a club like that? What about 3 year old Kinder? (Not sure if that's an option in QLD)

Reading this back, I'm sorry if it sounds off, I'm just trying to show that by being brave and gung ho, friends can be made!!
hi itigo
i have thought about him doing little nippers (at the surf club) and have also looked into local playgroups, but with setting up the house and all the other things we've had to do, haven't taken him yet!
i'm still exhausted mentally from the last year, with having a new baby, a tragedy with a beloved pet, and all the emotions surrounding the move, and i was happy to chill for a while with no committments to anyone here, but i didn't realise just how much he was missing other little people being around.i mean, he has got to play with some other kids at the playground, or creche at church, but its having kids you know and see regulary as part of your "gang" that he misses....
so i need to make a huge effort for him...
we did meet some people at the local bunnings playground!
i invited them to my sons party and they were lovely.

how do you find out about kinder?
i have asked around, but no one i asked knew...
i also probably need to start looking for a school to enrol him in, but don't know where to start with that!
i introduced ourselves to our neighbours, and have had them over too, and we get along well.we are going to theirs tomorrow for a meal, they are korean too, so we are both hopeful of a nice korean meal!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
hi itigo
i have thought about him doing little nippers (at the surf club) and have also looked into local playgroups, but with setting up the house and all the other things we've had to do, haven't taken him yet!
i'm still exhausted mentally from the last year, with having a new baby, a tragedy with a beloved pet, and all the emotions surrounding the move, and i was happy to chill for a while with no committments to anyone here, but i didn't realise just how much he was missing other little people being around.i mean, he has got to play with some other kids at the playground, or creche at church, but its having kids you know and see regulary as part of your "gang" that he misses....
so i need to make a huge effort for him...
we did meet some people at the local bunnings playground!
i invited them to my sons party and they were lovely.

how do you find out about kinder?
i have asked around, but no one i asked knew...
i also probably need to start looking for a school to enrol him in, but don't know where to start with that!
i introduced ourselves to our neighbours, and have had them over too, and we get along well.we are going to theirs tomorrow for a meal, they are korean too, so we are both hopeful of a nice korean meal!
I think in QLD it's Kindy? Your local council will have info. Also try echildcare website. I think it may be called preschool as well in QLD.

In Victoria, I am just enrolling my nearly 5 year old to start in Feb. Think it's similar in QLD, they don't start until they are 5ish in Prep. I would have had to enrol her in May in QLD as I saw signs up when we were up there.

Hope some of this is helpful......
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi Katrina,

I take my 4 year old sons to a playgroup in Parkwood/Arundel at the Arundel community centre - it is on Tuesday mornings from 9.30.
It is a great bunch of girls and kids (and sometimes men!) who go there and I have met some really good friends through the playgroup.
If you are intererested Pm or email me and I'll give you the details.

Debbie