Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Londoner relocating to Melbourne..??

Londoner relocating to Melbourne..??

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

sunshine8state is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Londoner relocating to Melbourne..??

Hey All!!

Thanks for reading my post first of all if you are

I am back in London (where I am originally from) after having spent 2.5 years in Sydney. I've been back for 6 months now and though enjoying it, am missing the relaxing way of life that I had in Sydney hard not to really!

But I find myself in a bit of a predicament and wanted to come to the forum with the hope that I might be able find out more about life in Melbourne. I have heard that what i am experiencing about wanting the two is not unusual where Brits make the move to Oz and after a while miss the Brit culture / sense of humour and come home, only to find they miss Oz it again

Am loving London, well especially the banter, proper chats and variety of places, but I am not liking at all how my quality of life just seems to have diminished so quickly! My commute is horrible (part of the reason I left) but because of this I am tired all the time (Clapham isn't that far!) have little time as a result and work / life balance is not as good, the weather now doesn't help! But the stress of it all has seemed to got to me again and i've only been back a few months...

So really my question, have any Londoners on here relocated from London to Melbourne? And have you found your appetite for things available in London, like diversity, arts etc, is good? I am hoping culture mix, with some european influences, i do love the Australian laid back lifestyle of course so it would have the two I hope!

Is is easy to make friends in Melbourne, as i find its very easy in London everyones so open and up for a laugh, so I'd want to feel comfortable that I could intrigrate quickly (i've read that it can be clicky, but in my experience of Sydney they aren't the friendliest) so thought Melbourne would be a good hybrid option....? Essentially I just looking for a better quality of life / work life balance, like the one that I had in Sydney, but with more diverse and friendlier people, plus since being back in London, I'm not half as healthy and much more stressed! and I miss the food in Oz!

Would appreciate your thoughts!! Sorry for the long post just friends and family don't seem to get the pros and cons unless one has lived in both

Also I am a single women in my 30's so its been a hard one, as I think that I thought I would maybe suit and english man, so would be good to hear any thoughts if its easy to meet other people in Melbourne, more importantly though interested to see if Melbourne is easy to live in, can meet friends and also has a good creative scene.

Hope to hear from you and your experiences!

Thank you so much would be a great help

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:22 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Londoner relocating to Melbourne..??

Hi there and welcome to BE

I've moved your post over to our Australia forum to help you get some answers. Do you currently have a PR visa for Australia?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

hey there, thanks for your reply, which section has it gone in, the melbourne section?

No i don't have PR but i have been advised that I can get a 457 which I have had before, and in my industry seems to be quite a demand for brits thx so much
Old Dec 24th 2013, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here too long to give any real meaningful feedback. However I would have fully fitted your criteria 30 years ago.. Being a Londoner born and bred and moving to Melbourne.

All I'll say is do not base Melbourne and nightlife on it's CBD.... The Melbourne your seeking is definitely about the innerburbs. So when you arrive check out as many inner suburbs as you can and then make up your mind where you want to live.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 7:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Londoner relocating to Melbourne..??

I moved from West London to Melbourne 6 years ago. I find Melbourne to have all the good things that I liked about London (cosmopolitan, great restaurants, nightlife, ambience, vibrancy, buzz, great variety of areas etc etc etc) and also many of the things that London would benefit from to make it perfect, such as much better weather, great beaches, very close access to stunning countryside, vineyards etc etc etc.

Melbourne also feels much more European than London in a good way, with the wide tree-lined streets, the fantastic trams and the ever-present pavement dining and coffee.

I'm actually back in England for Christmas right now, and I am seriously homesick for Melbourne!

BB
Old Dec 24th 2013, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I moved from West London to Melbourne 6 years ago. I find Melbourne to have all the good things that I liked about London (cosmopolitan, great restaurants, nightlife, ambience, vibrancy, buzz, great variety of areas etc etc etc) and also many of the things that London would benefit from to make it perfect, such as much better weather, great beaches, very close access to stunning countryside, vineyards etc etc etc.

Melbourne also feels much more European than London in a good way, with the wide tree-lined streets, the fantastic trams and the ever-present pavement dining and coffee.

I'm actually back in England for Christmas right now, and I am seriously homesick for Melbourne!

BB

31C Tomo Xmas day BB.... Almost too hot to eat outside, we are debating whether to sit in with the air con or eat alfresco.... eating out was the original plan.

One thing only Melbournians really know... It gets better and deeper the longer you are here... Like the layers of an onion as often compared.... Defintely a City that grows on you rather than hits you in the face.

What your looking for is all here Sunshine... It just takes a while to find.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
31C Tomo Xmas day BB.... Almost too hot to eat outside, we are debating whether to sit in with the air con or eat alfresco.... eating out was the original plan.

One thing only Melbournians really know... It gets better and deeper the longer you are here... Like the layers of an onion as often compared.... Defintely a City that grows on you rather than hits you in the face.

agreed. If the Op can give it a go, it's all theirs for the taking.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Hey! Thanksss so much for the reply! Its a really agonising choice that I feel I am making :P I LOVE london, but more particularly the people that its fun and the diversity, but I have to say that the lifestyle of the commute (I have been sick particularly non stop since I have been here 6 months) and the weather, not to mention the fact when it snows london just stops! The other thing is that whilst london has the most things to do everything is so far apart from each other... I am very much missing the relaxed pace of life I had in Sydney and how i very rarely felt stressed, whereas things are so much more stressful here (trying to find a place to live has been so difficult! I am still looking! I just feel that my quality of life is nothing in comparison to Oz all things considered... But I fear that I do not want to be a ping pong pom and go out again for another couple of years etc and miss the British culture and banter... so if I can get more of that in Melbourne, and meet a good community of Brits and europeans too, I am there!!!!? thank you!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
Old Dec 29th 2013, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Hey, thanks so much! that makes me happy I really want to come out to Melbourne, just nervous.. I have lived in London all my life and have always to be honest found it a hard city to live in... Sydney was great! and loved the Oz lifestyle, but the diversity and people in london had me pining for home,,, but sometimes oz feels like home.. as I said i dont' want to be a ping pong pom - as I am getting older (37) and really feels like a perm decision needs to be made here... So the ideal of cosmopolitan life, interesting people and the beach sounds like perfection to me?!!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that you do miss your way of life in Sydney. So I am puzzled as to why you are thinking of Melbourne now ... and not Sydney?

I don't think you are going to find one city has more "friendly people" than another, there will be a cross section as with all cities. Ultimately the ease of which anyone makes friends is down to them as an individual.

Did you spend much time in Melbourne when you lived in Australia last time?
Old Dec 31st 2013, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It seems to me that you do miss your way of life in Sydney. So I am puzzled as to why you are thinking of Melbourne now ... and not Sydney?

I don't think you are going to find one city has more "friendly people" than another, there will be a cross section as with all cities. Ultimately the ease of which anyone makes friends is down to them as an individual.

Did you spend much time in Melbourne when you lived in Australia last time?
this is true but Melbourne is slightly less chaotic and has a couple of aspects that might suit the Op. As a 30 year old plus I preferred Melb over Sydney.

the reality is they have similar problems and both are big.

Melbourne easier to get around...
both have culture...in terms of checkbox culture.

We've played this game before.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
this is true but Melbourne is slightly less chaotic and has a couple of aspects that might suit the Op. As a 30 year old plus I preferred Melb over Sydney.

the reality is they have similar problems and both are big.

Melbourne easier to get around...
both have culture...in terms of checkbox culture.

We've played this game before.
I was just puzzled to be honest, OP misses her life in Sydney so is considering going to Melbourne... I don't get it is all.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was just puzzled to be honest, OP misses her life in Sydney so is considering going to Melbourne... I don't get it is all.
she's made it clear to me..

she likes aspects of London and Sydney...and doesn't like other aspects of both:

might it be that Melbourne is the answer?
Lots of Melbourne posters support that..
(but allow for in built bias).
Old Dec 31st 2013, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
she's made it clear to me..

she likes aspects of London and Sydney...and doesn't like other aspects of both:

might it be that Melbourne is the answer?
Lots of Melbourne posters support that..
(but allow for in built bias).
Well i have lived in Sydney and London and visited Melbourne quite a few times and I just don't see any logic to that. I think OP should take care not to make assumptions..
Old Dec 31st 2013, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well i have lived in Sydney and London and visited Melbourne quite a few times and I just don't see any logic to that. I think OP should take care not to make assumptions..
She's not: that's why she is asking. There might be something in it.

The only way she can find out is to visit and try.
There is no guarantee in this world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.