Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is London Transport the answer?

Is London Transport the answer?

Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Is London Transport the answer?

The Sydney Morning Herald's Grand Plan for Sydney folk seem to think so.

"The system needs to be transformed into a super service run by one transport authority, modelled on the new Transport for London and countless others, with the operating companies sitting under it. Having one transport agency will end forever the mode rivalry and inter-bureaucracy bickering. The transport infrastructure and planning functions would be owned by the new Sydney metropolitan agency (see report, Herald, June 6). Before we start talking tax incentives to get people on public transport, as sound as it might be, let's work urgently on getting a system we can get them on to."
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:04 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is London Transport the answer?

Originally Posted by Banksia

"The system needs to be transformed into a super service run by one transport authority, modelled on the new Transport for London and countless others, with the operating companies sitting under it. Having one transport agency will end forever the mode rivalry and inter-bureaucracy bickering. The transport infrastructure and planning functions would be owned by the new Sydney metropolitan agency (see report, Herald, June 6). Before we start talking tax incentives to get people on public transport, as sound as it might be, let's work urgently on getting a system we can get them on to."
Just need to slough off 2 or 3 million and it'd be a nice place once more.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:08 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

hardly london underground, new york has a better system
the tube in london stinks!
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In London the focus was on New York which was funded by bonds rather than public private partnerships. Separate entities are also a nightmare and Australia should avoid Britain's railtrack fiasco.

Roads also seem to get the dominant resourcing whilst the only new railway is a couple of stops between Epping and Chatswood. That project was originally double the size but funding priorities lay elsewhere. The airport line is an expensive joke. $10 platform charges are silly.

Britain is also looking at charging motorists by the mile with a satellite system and black boxes in every car.

The biggest problem in Sydney is short sighted politicians who want the developers money rather than plan properly.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I dream of having air con in the underground..I hate peak summer and it gets to near on 40 and we're all squashed against one and other. eeewghhhh other people's sweat is disgusting
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Britain is also looking at charging motorists by the mile with a satellite system and black boxes in every car.
Doesn't high petrol taxes achieve the same thing?

And trafific jams in the peak persuade folk to travel at other times?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Nope the high petrol taxes haven't stopped people using their cars and traffic jams sitting in a car with air conditioning is an awful lot better than standing on an overheating tube with your nose stuck under someones smelly armpit.

Better public transport probably would help, or for many people who don't live in a large town or city, some public transport rather than the once a day bus to the local town that visits every other village in a 10 mile radius effectivly making a 3 mile journey take 2 hours.

Plus getting everyone to install a black box will enable them (the government?) to track where every car owner is driving, rather big borther like to me and I'm surprised the press haven't mentionned this more.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 9:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Petrol prices there are already more than double here. The plan of the scheme is to charge more at rush hour and on busy roads and less on empty country roads. The discussions are only just starting and no laws have been passed. That principle is what vexes politicians who want to restrict city car usage without burdening the country where cars are a necessity.

As pointed out by spottydog better public transport is needed. Where it is available people use it. Sydney's biggest problem is with the new population spots eg North West where there are no trains and the bus service is scarce. That is also where there is the highest car usage and some horrible jams.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

don't know what it's like in Sydney but in England I think they should seriously look at improving provision for cyclists.
I would love to cycle to work, but due to the lack of cycle lanes (or, even more annoyingly, cycle lanes which are only officially cycle lanes for about an hour a day and the rest of time are invaded by cars) it's too dangerous and difficult.
Instead I have to use public transport, which to be fair in London is not bad, despite it's unreliability.
But I'm sure more people would cycle if it was made more accessible.
I've never understood why they don't paint cycle lanes onto pavements - most of the time pavements are pretty quiet (city centres excepting), and the possibility of a cycle colliding with a pedestrian is surely far less likely to result in serious injury than a cyclist colliding with a car?

Out of interest, is cycling as a mode of transport popular in Australia?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by DianneH68
don't know what it's like in Sydney but in England I think they should seriously look at improving provision for cyclists.
I would love to cycle to work, but due to the lack of cycle lanes (or, even more annoyingly, cycle lanes which are only officially cycle lanes for about an hour a day and the rest of time are invaded by cars) it's too dangerous and difficult.
Instead I have to use public transport, which to be fair in London is not bad, despite it's unreliability.
But I'm sure more people would cycle if it was made more accessible.
I've never understood why they don't paint cycle lanes onto pavements - most of the time pavements are pretty quiet (city centres excepting), and the possibility of a cycle colliding with a pedestrian is surely far less likely to result in serious injury than a cyclist colliding with a car?

Out of interest, is cycling as a mode of transport popular in Australia?
Most pavements in London are very narrow and could not safely accommodate cyclists and pedestrians, bare in mind pavements are used by the physically disabled those with prams, the visually impaired etc. You would be surprised at how nasty a pedestrian-cyclist collision can be. In most Boroughs we are trying to reduce pavement clutter not add to it. I'm speaking from a professional point of view. More cycle lanes would be a help though