Reload this Page >

London - Sydney, why so expensive in July

London - Sydney, why so expensive in July

Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

hunser is on a distinguished road
Default London - Sydney, why so expensive in July

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd throw this question out there as I remember a few BE members being in the flight industry and some others must have flown in July before.

I'm currently looking at booking a validation trip and need to go in July but have been depressed that flights will leave me little change out of a grand. I'm guessing it is due to British school holidays but was hoping for cheaper as it is the height of winter down under.

There are deals around at the mo for closer to £600 if you fly before end of June but a little thing called the world Cup in Germany is stopping me from doing that.

So, just wondering if anyone has booked flights for July in years gone by and managed to get a deal or if there is some kind of formula that the airlines live by and they will all start making better offers 'x' months before July, and, if so, what the 'x' would be.

Just a tightwad really wondering if I should hang on for a bit or bite the bullet, empty the wallet and book what I can get now.

Any insider info/previous experiences appreciated.

Ta, Paul
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:33 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future
Default Re: London - Sydney, why so expensive in July

Originally Posted by hunser
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd throw this question out there as I remember a few BE members being in the flight industry and some others must have flown in July before.

I'm currently looking at booking a validation trip and need to go in July but have been depressed that flights will leave me little change out of a grand. I'm guessing it is due to British school holidays but was hoping for cheaper as it is the height of winter down under.

There are deals around at the mo for closer to £600 if you fly before end of June but a little thing called the world Cup in Germany is stopping me from doing that.

So, just wondering if anyone has booked flights for July in years gone by and managed to get a deal or if there is some kind of formula that the airlines live by and they will all start making better offers 'x' months before July, and, if so, what the 'x' would be.

Just a tightwad really wondering if I should hang on for a bit or bite the bullet, empty the wallet and book what I can get now.

Any insider info/previous experiences appreciated.

Ta, Paul
I'm also looking to fly in July. The travel agent told me that June is considered "Shoulder season" and July is "Peak Season", so the prices are higher. Probably due to school holidays etc, but guess arriving in winter in Australia would make the hotels cheaper!?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
I'm also looking to fly in July. The travel agent told me that June is considered "Shoulder season" and July is "Peak Season", so the prices are higher. Probably due to school holidays etc, but guess arriving in winter in Australia would make the hotels cheaper!?
Largely due to UK school holidays. It being winter in Aus actually makes Aus very attractive to Brits at that time of year - for example, its cooler and less humid in Queensland during the winter, so more enjoyable for holidays.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:55 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

School hol rip off season is the reason for the rise. We flew on 29 June and saved nearly 800. However, fly on the 29th and not the 30th because if something goes wrong on the 30th and your flight moves to 1 July you may be hit. Two travel agents warned me about this.