Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

London-Sydney salary conversion

London-Sydney salary conversion

Old Jan 30th 2021, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

doubleagent99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London-Sydney salary conversion

Hi All, I'm an Australian living in London for 15+ years, thinking about returning to Australia and asking my employer to transfer me to the Sydney office. My question for you, oh hive mind, is how would I go about determining the Sydney equivalent of my current London salary? I've seen posts recommending x 2.2 ratio, but they are from a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London-Sydney salary conversion

Google Australia and salaries and numerous sites come up. Start researching those first, then perhaps look at recruitment agencies and the jobs on offer.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doubleagent99
Hi All, I'm an Australian living in London for 15+ years, thinking about returning to Australia and asking my employer to transfer me to the Sydney office. My question for you, oh hive mind, is how would I go about determining the Sydney equivalent of my current London salary? I've seen posts recommending x 2.2 ratio, but they are from a couple of years ago.
Well, the latest from Numbeo says:

You would need around 4,493.81£ (8,063.51A$) in Sydney to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,800.00£ in London (assuming you rent in both cities).
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...n&city2=Sydney

Which is about 1.67 assuming you rent in both cities.

I always say go for a minimum of x2. Start at 2.5 and stop at 2.

I haven't been to London since just before COVID started last year so unless things took a dramatic decline in London since then 1.67 from Numbeo does surprise me and I certainly would not run with anything below 2.

FYI. Cost of buying a free standing house in Sydney has gone through the roof in COVID. Everyone wants to work from home in a big house. The rental market has slumped and purchasing an apartment is easier now too.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 5:10 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends very much on industry. Financial sector jobs pay significantly less in Australia compared to the global financial centres (explaining why there are so many Aussies in London, New York and Singapore), Medical professionals though get a better deal in Aus, hence why there are so many British and Irish nurses running around in Australia.