Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

London to Sydney

London to Sydney

Old Sep 26th 2018, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Sydney

Originally Posted by Beoz
Manly Beach? Really? I don't get there much, too far away, but I see it more as a playground for 20 somethings. Beaches, bars, restaurants. I have some friends who used lived on the water at Fairlight and often had BBQ's on the beach. They were good days pre kids. Bit of paddleboarding, fishing, beers, exploring the rockpools, good food and booze. That was pre kids days but thinking about it now, it would have been ideal for the whole family.

I do recall Shelly Beach being a good spot. Very beautiful, good snorkeling, and from there an awesome "bush walk" around the headland. Again, would have been ideal for kids.

A mate used to have a yacht tied up in a little bay on the harbour side of Manly. He would pick us up in Rose Bay and we would spend the afternoon cruising around that end of the harbour taking in a swim or 2 in one of the many coves. I guess that would have been good for kids too. Pity, he sold the yacht.

Now that I am thinking about it, Manly is such a good spot for the whole family. Haven't felt the need to venture over as there's so much to do on the south side of the harbour but it might be worth a visit again. It's a shame you brought Manly up as one of the tourist spots you visited on a trip once as it revived some good memories. However, a quick weekend provides you with next to zero knowledge of living in a place.

You mention London's museums. Indoor pursuits. Great. Can do them in Sydney and Canberra for that matter too. My son loves going to the Australian Museum. We do that when the weather turns every six months or so. Recently in London we went to the Natural History Museum. He liked that however there was a lot of disappointment to find the T-Rex was on holiday.

The problem for kids, if your life revolves around indoor pursuits as it does in London for much of the year in London, then you are missing out and not providing them the variety. As for sailing, good luck making that a regular hobby in London.
How much variety found in a typical Aussie suburb, I find myself asking? London, can mean not growing up 'woolly' as some suburban kids here in OZ, with cultural and social enrichment, in the worlds probably number one cosmopolitan city. Again it depends on circumstances. Growing up in some of the 'tougher' London locations may nullify those advantages to the extent Sydney suburban life is preferable. No one shoe for all feet, I think.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:05 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Troubadour, have you ever lived in Sydney? Sorry, I don't know your story, I don't spend a lot of time on here and was absent for quite a few years until recently.

I've lived here ten years, close to the city, and been visiting a lot longer. I am not outdoorsy, can't even swim never mind surf My idea of a good day off is to go to a gallery or museum and I always find something new to do; exhibitions are ever-changing. Go to the cinema a lot. Find quirky little bars serving a huge range of gin to sample. Love eating out; there are some fabulous restaurants, both old favourites and a revolving door of new ones. I'm never bored.

I can't comment on activities for children - never had one.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Find quirky little bars serving a huge range of gin to sample.
Gin distilleries with a good bar seem to be popping up all over the place. Especially in the gentrifying former industrial areas of inner South Sydney.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Gin distilleries with a good bar seem to be popping up all over the place. Especially in the gentrifying former industrial areas of inner South Sydney.
Archie Rose is within staggering distance of our place.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
How much variety found in a typical Aussie suburb, I find myself asking? London, can mean not growing up 'woolly' as some suburban kids here in OZ, with cultural and social enrichment, in the worlds probably number one cosmopolitan city. Again it depends on circumstances. Growing up in some of the 'tougher' London locations may nullify those advantages to the extent Sydney suburban life is preferable. No one shoe for all feet, I think.
Yes let's move to Peckham so little Johnny can avoid being "woolly" and in the hope he might become art lover. Sounds good until you find a 6 inch blade in Johnny's school bag.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Archie Rose is within staggering distance of our place.
That's a goodie. Some nice restaurants in that place too. I can't believe how much Rosebery has changed in recent times and set for more and more change. Its a nice place to be.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 1:09 am
Auntie Fa

That's a goodie. Some nice restaurants in that place too. I can't believe how much Rosebery has changed in recent times and set for more and more change. Its a nice place to be.
Yes The Cannery is slowly filling up. I'd advise anyone that wants to be close to the city (or airport) without the city budget to look around here, it's really coming along. Young families included - we are getting more and more in our complex and the area is really family-friendly. (They will be our market should we ever have to sell our 3 bedroom place, so the major renovations we're about to start will bear this in mind.)

We've cafes galore and are getting a few more small bars now, with Redfern Surf Club being the latest - making for a really good walking tour from Redfern's Arcadia Liquors to Alexandria via The Bearded Tit of course. Green Square library has opened now so the "new town" is finally underway and I can but smile at all the locals that warned me off Alexandria 8 years ago.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Troubadour, have you ever lived in Sydney? Sorry, I don't know your story, I don't spend a lot of time on here and was absent for quite a few years until recently.

I've lived here ten years, close to the city, and been visiting a lot longer. I am not outdoorsy, can't even swim never mind surf My idea of a good day off is to go to a gallery or museum and I always find something new to do; exhibitions are ever-changing. Go to the cinema a lot. Find quirky little bars serving a huge range of gin to sample. Love eating out; there are some fabulous restaurants, both old favourites and a revolving door of new ones. I'm never bored.

I can't comment on activities for children - never had one.
I haven't lived in Sydney, as in working, but have stayed for up to six weeks and first went there back in 1992 and have been there as mentioned twice last year, half a dozen times over the preceding decade, to answer your question.
I'm undecided as to which city out of Melbourne and Sydney would reign superior in the arts, but London far overwhelms many times what Sydney has on offer, the city where the OP , who has a family including kids comes from. Personally I used to prefer the Paris cultural scene to London's but neither to be sneezed at.
It's great your finding your 'fill' of the arts' available in Sydney at your disposal, while being able to live close to the city. Every chance, that the OP with family in tow, will not be able to 'enjoy' likewise, or if can, would be a little underwhelmed by the options provided.
Obviously Sydney has cultural events, I don't find quickness in Sydney comes close to what London is offering, but if that your thing, and it certainly is mine, even third tier European cities, like Hamburg and Antwerp offer loads of quirkiness, not to mention cities like Amsterdam and Berlin (probably king of quirky)
Even Perth is pushing its quirky bar scene these days. Sydney's lock out laws have badly dented its night life options for a city its size. Obviously a city built on such a location has its attractions, only Rio can probably compete as a city built on a natural harbour. Shame being, most cannot afford, to live cooee of the harbour or water views. Rio has obvious safety issues which are not unfounded having been last year there. Sydney's gross unaffordability in housing inflation goes against other attractions it may offer, Saying that, while not cheap, I still find Sydney cheaper to eat out and night life in general than Perth.
But hey, chin chin, pass the gin.

Last edited by the troubadour; Sep 27th 2018 at 2:07 am.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:08 am
Auntie Fa

Horses for courses but I will just point out that I don't know many who live here (certainly not those over about 20) that go out in the city centre, so the lock out laws are irrelevant. Though they do have a knock-on effect on other areas, of course, as drunken dick heads find new places to drink themselves senseless before they find somebody to punch. Happily, many of them go to The Star - outside the lock out area, strange that hey - and they're welcome to it.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes let's move to Peckham so little Johnny can avoid being "woolly" and in the hope he might become art lover. Sounds good until you find a 6 inch blade in Johnny's school bag.
Well you will pick extremes, to be expected though. Peckham, walked around the manor last in London, which admittedly was eight years ago, when went back to live a spring/summer, is definitely, quirky, of course edgy, working class London. One of the attractions. Thankfully still a few neighbourhoods of old, that have not been speculated until an inch of death and sanitised during the process. While not everyone's brand of gin,
full of live and energy and signs of 'up market' development clearly in evidence then.
I guess 'class cleansing' has further 'progressed' since 2010, as has occurred in London Borough's, much to the shame of it.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Horses for courses but I will just point out that I don't know many who live here (certainly not those over about 20) that go out in the city centre, so the lock out laws are irrelevant. Though they do have a knock-on effect on other areas, of course, as drunken dick heads find new places to drink themselves senseless before they find somebody to punch. Happily, many of them go to The Star - outside the lock out area, strange that hey - and they're welcome to it.
Just shows that many whom live in a place adapt over time to what others from more' lively' cities in options be that London, European cities or indeed Asian/American (north and south) cities may take for granted. Inability to hold alcohol being something of an Aussie or proletariat British thing than found in other countries, where folk tend to consume alcohol with more maturity or at least not succumbing to such aggro behaviour, which in itself such something about those cities that are inhabitant by such immature persons. I certainly find it an issue regardless of place in Australia, more to do with venue than place IMO.
I prefer activities not necessary around alcohol anyway, but accept many prefer differently, but outside the cultural offerings, a city should be a spectre of different senses on a street level and walkability a very necessary ingredient of measurement in desirability in my book.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just shows that many whom live in a place adapt over time to what others from more' lively' cities in options be that London, European cities or indeed Asian/American (north and south) cities may take for granted. Inability to hold alcohol being something of an Aussie or proletariat British thing than found in other countries, where folk tend to consume alcohol with more maturity or at least not succumbing to such aggro behaviour, which in itself such something about those cities that are inhabitant by such immature persons. I certainly find it an issue regardless of place in Australia, more to do with venue than place IMO.
I prefer activities not necessary around alcohol anyway, but accept many prefer differently, but outside the cultural offerings, a city should be a spectre of different senses on a street level and walkability a very necessary ingredient of measurement in desirability in my book.
You might need to treat yourself and witness the Italians at Oktoberfest.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes The Cannery is slowly filling up. I'd advise anyone that wants to be close to the city (or airport) without the city budget to look around here, it's really coming along. Young families included - we are getting more and more in our complex and the area is really family-friendly. (They will be our market should we ever have to sell our 3 bedroom place, so the major renovations we're about to start will bear this in mind.)

We've cafes galore and are getting a few more small bars now, with Redfern Surf Club being the latest - making for a really good walking tour from Redfern's Arcadia Liquors to Alexandria via The Bearded Tit of course. Green Square library has opened now so the "new town" is finally underway and I can but smile at all the locals that warned me off Alexandria 8 years ago.
It's a very happening area. I went past the Green Square library a couple of days back. Looks flash and open. What's the deal there. Does it go underground? Kind of looks like it given the shape of the building. The whole area from Central down to Botany is a pick. It's kind of already gone boom but there's still a lot more to go.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sydney's lock out laws have badly dented its night life options for a city its size.
You are aware how these laws work right? In a small part of the city, (where no one but bogans go) you cannot get entry after 1am. If you are in all good.

It's no big deal to the locals. Locals don't go to these areas. Therefore it shouldn't be a big deal to you. Branch out, discover somewhere else other than the Rocks.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You might need to treat yourself and witness the Italians at Oktoberfest.
Never been and never will go to The Munchen Beer Festival. I know it is popular with London based Aussies, recall the coach loads leaving every year. Better and more authentic beer festivals to be had in other areas of the country. Stuttgart not bad, at far cheaper prices as well.
Never mind Italians, you obviously have never heard of the "Aussie' reputation in Munchen. Got so bad they were banned from some public transport in the eighties. Sounds like a place to 'get over' any 'home sickness' for non Bogan Aussies by attending though, so certainly serves a purpose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.