British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   London to Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/london-sydney-917330/)

Shiv Sep 16th 2018 5:53 am

London to Sydney

Hi All,
I'm currently negotiating offer with my employer in Sydney and I'm not sure it will be worth to leave the comfort zone (London) to Sydney.

Could you please advise me and we're confused now.

1.I'm currently earning £60K p a in London and what would be the better equivalent salary in Sydney for average living for family of four.

2. How about the life style in Sydney? I have read numerous blogs and watched youtube videos but still confused. Could you please advise if Sydney will offer a better life than in London?

3. Finally how is the work life balance in Sydney?

It will be very helpful, if you some of you can advise me for the make discussion.

Thanks a lot

Shiv

quoll Sep 16th 2018 6:36 am

Re: London to Sydney

Originally Posted by Shiv (Post 12563644)
Hi All,
I'm currently negotiating offer with my employer in Sydney and I'm not sure it will be worth to leave the comfort zone (London) to Sydney.

Could you please advise me and we're confused now.

1.I'm currently earning £60K p a in London and what would be the better equivalent salary in Sydney for average living for family of four.

2. How about the life style in Sydney? I have read numerous blogs and watched youtube videos but still confused. Could you please advise if Sydney will offer a better life than in London?

It will be very helpful, if you some of you can advise me for the make discussion.

Thanks a lot

Shiv

Well your salary is currently around 3 times the national average so you'd need to be looking at something like $240k pa for an equivalent though you might get by on a bit less and have a similar lifestyle. You'll also need to factor in school fees so if your kids are of school age that'd be $10k pa making the assumption that you'll be on a temporary visa anyway. (Ask your employer to cover that specifically) if your kids are under school age then child care if you need it because your OH wants to work will be about $110 a day because you'll get no subsidy on a temp visa.

Lifestyle? Well it's not Summer Bay! It's as fraught, frantic and frustrating as any other big city and you'll still have an irritating commute, you'll still do the washing up, clean the bathroom and pay through the nose for everything you want. As for "better life" what do you think that will look like for you? Will a better life for your kids include taking them away from extended family to relative isolation?

Work life balance is what you make it but if you want to get ahead then work comes first and life comes second generally. There are fewer leave entitlements as a rule too. Sydney has something of a cut throat reputation and some cultures are more inclined to have high work based aspirations.

If your OH wants to work then as a dependent on a temporary visa she could find it hard to get anything meaningful.

If it's a better career opportunity then go for it, good luck, it'll be an adventure if nothing else but I wouldn't be selling a home in London until you get permanency and are sure it's what you want or of life and maybe you could ensure that your job would still be there if you decided to return.

GarryP Sep 16th 2018 7:48 am

Well your salary is currently around 3 times the national average
The average UK salary is approximately £27,271 at the moment, so two times average. The average Australian salary is A$82,436 which means on that metric it would be ~A$160k. Mind in Sydney I think the joint salary would have to be a bit more, given how overpriced the housing market is, etc.

I'm currently negotiating offer with my employer in Sydney
I'd be looking at the Economist data - their whole 'livability' metric that Melbourne puts such store by is to answer such questions. You can also look at the job boards for how much your type of job is currently bringing in the Sydney market.

Beoz Sep 17th 2018 7:46 am

I did London to Sydney and these are the findings

Hi All,

You need a minimum of $120K to expect the same lifestyle.

What do you class as lifestyle? If visiting lots of art galleries is your thing, then you are better off in London. If the beach is your thing, then Sydney is for you.

Art galleries bore me to tears so there's no loss there. However I do miss being able to jump on a Friday night flight for a ski in the Alps. When I was younger, I found the booze up social scene better in London. Larger city, better pub culture. But now, having a young family Sydney offers more variety for the little ones because of the ability to be outside all year round.

Its entirely up to you. Just like London, you can work all night and all weekend if you want to. You can do the same in Sydney.

the troubadour Sep 17th 2018 8:56 am

On your salary, I'd take London any day. (or over anywhere else in Australia for that matter)Far more culture, conversation, closeness to Mainland London, just far more to do. Perhaps Sydney for a year if possible and had job to return to at the end of that time, just for the experience, but long term nah. Outside of beach what really is there, especially compared beside London? Okay the weather could be a further plus. The offer would have to be pretty darn good is all I could say.

Beoz Sep 17th 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12563954)
Far more culture, conversation, closeness to Mainland London, just far more to do.

You are making London look bad. That's a horrible sales pitch. (What is Mainland London?)

Outside of beach what really is there, especially compared beside London? Okay the weather could be a further plus. .

National Parks, beautiful walks, awesome restaurants with views, boating, fishing, good sport to play and watch, parks parks and more parks. For a family of 4 all this free stuff in a beautiful setting works very nicely.

paulry Sep 18th 2018 10:03 am

On your salary, I'd take London any day. (or over anywhere else in Australia for that matter)Far more culture, conversation, closeness to Mainland London, just far more to do. Perhaps Sydney for a year if possible and had job to return to at the end of that time, just for the experience, but long term nah. Outside of beach what really is there, especially compared beside London? Okay the weather could be a further plus. The offer would have to be pretty darn good is all I could say.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I recently returned to the UK on holiday after 8 years away and was surprised at how ambivalent I felt about living in the UK versus living in Australia. London is certainly more interesting and varied if you're cashed up and feeling sufficiently energetic, while Australia is a nice sunny place to relax and ...uh die :unsure:

the troubadour Sep 18th 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12563992)
You are making London look bad. That's a horrible sales pitch. (What is Mainland London?)

National Parks, beautiful walks, awesome restaurants with views, boating, fishing, good sport to play and watch, parks parks and more parks. For a family of 4 all this free stuff in a beautiful setting works very nicely.

Trying to 'do your head'. Works magnificently. But back to subject. London outclasses Sydney, which outside of beaches and perhaps weather, is somewhat dull and expensive for what it offers.
London rules, in culture, class, entertainment, diversity, location, sophistication, internationalism, worldliness, a place of many dimensions where most can find a place . London has some of the best parks in Europe, great public transport (if to expensive) far better walkability, far more going on. Just check out Time Out Sydney version compared to London. Sydney looks almost a provincial back water. Fishing really? Thing being beaches and fishing are available at probably less of a drive across Sydney. (Sussex, Essex, Kent coasts)
Besides more approachable people, better humour, decent conversation, easy access to Europe, The advantages go on and on.

Sydney may have got first to the post twenty/twenty five years ago or so, but really who wants to be a part of the second most over inflated city in the world, with ever declining living standards, increasing living to work with a probable correction of magnitude around the corner?

the troubadour Sep 18th 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12564504)
I'm inclined to agree with this. I recently returned to the UK on holiday after 8 years away and was surprised at how ambivalent I felt about living in the UK versus living in Australia. London is certainly more interesting and varied if you're cashed up and feeling sufficiently energetic, while Australia is a nice sunny place to relax and ...uh die :unsure:

Yep. While there are many cities with a great vibe in Europe, always love returning to London. A feel of its own, I preferred it before it became a haven for banksters that altered, tremendously some of the 'old manors' used to love dearly, now unaffordable, or less interesting, but the buzz on the street is great and London maintains so many dimensions. and a feeling impossible IMO to capture anywhere in Australia.

Beoz Sep 21st 2018 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12565507)
I suppose you must make what you can of Sydney. If fishing and beaching are all you can come up with as reasons to remain in Sydney, then you may just as well move to Port Macquarie, more suited for children craving those sort of pursuits. Or if must stay in OZ, toughen up and head West. Really kiddies play ground over here.

I came up with plenty for a family of 4, you chose to ignore it as it smashes your agenda of resentment.

You make a point though. Port Macquarie. Some (very few) do go there on holiday. Very few because you have all that in Sydney. So why leave just to go to Port Macquarie.

There it is. "Toughen up and head West". You did that and ended up becoming BE's ambassador for misery. It's very selfish of you to sell your misery to others making life changing plans.

Kooky. Sep 25th 2018 12:25 am

Are we going to try to be helpful to the OP or just carry on with the same old pissing contest?

Shiv, I'll probably get blasted for this but, for a family of four on one salary, I would not move for anything under AUD200k. That said, a lot depends on where you choose to live and what you do for pleasure. Also the type of visa will determine some of your costs, as quoll has explained. To disagree with one of quoll's points, I did find meaningful work as a dependent, with the bonus I wasn't tied to one employer, and I got my career back on track (albeit in a different direction) after 6 years in the wilderness of Singapore.

Have a look on property sites, look at cars, and do some online supermarket shopping for an idea of the cost of living. Don't believe anything you see on emigration programs.

Is life better? I've never live in London so can't compare the two but I would say don't move expecting it to be better, just different. We work hard, play hard. Life is what you make it.

the troubadour Sep 25th 2018 2:14 am

<snip>
The OP would be advised to do their homework well into whether a Sydney move would suit their individual expectations and needs, moving from a city of the quality of London, taking into account salary expectations, over inflated property (including rents) in a falling market, even taking into account record population gain.
<snip>

moneypenny20 Sep 25th 2018 2:51 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12567643)
<snip>
The OP would be advised to do their homework well into whether a Sydney move would suit their individual expectations and needs, moving from a city of the quality of London, taking into account salary expectations, over inflated property (including rents) in a falling market, even taking into account record population gain.
<snip>

This is why the OP has posted. They're doing their homework by asking people for their advice. They're not asking for personal shite between two people who apparently get off on bitching at each other.

Beoz Sep 25th 2018 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12567606)
Are we going to try to be helpful to the OP or just carry on with the same old pissing contest?

Refer to post 4.

However, someone who resents where they live and tries to drag all down to their level, who has no idea about living in Sydney, jumps in to make themself in some twisted way feel good about bad choices they have made in life. One feels compelled to spell out the truth for the good of the poster.

Shiv, I'll probably get blasted for this but, for a family of four on one salary, I would not move for anything under AUD200k. That said, a lot depends on where you choose to live and what you do for pleasure.

I wouldn't want to live on that either, nor would I want to live on £60k in London, however my families lifestyle demands a little more than that. I remember many years ago being on £60k in London with no one to support other than myself. Can be done, but not easy as a single, and this was a long time ago - I wouldn't like to be doing it today. As you rightly point out, depends on what they do for pleasure. Can $120k be done in Sydney for a family of 4? Absolutely. Plenty do and live very nicely. I know plenty of families who do (wife doesn't work, husband on circa $120K) and they live a good life. Some goes for London on £60k

Also the type of visa will determine some of your costs, as quoll has explained. To disagree with one of quoll's points, I did find meaningful work as a dependent, with the bonus I wasn't tied to one employer, and I got my career back on track (albeit in a different direction) after 6 years in the wilderness of Singapore.

Have a look on property sites, look at cars, and do some online supermarket shopping for an idea of the cost of living. Don't believe anything you see on emigration programs.

Is life better? I've never live in London so can't compare the two but I would say don't move expecting it to be better, just different. We work hard, play hard. Life is what you make it.

Correct - Its different.

Beoz Sep 25th 2018 3:15 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12567643)
<snip>
<snip>

You keep referring to a falling market. If that were true, and it is in some areas, isn't that a good thing for someone who wants to by a property? .......... You?

Sounds like you are unintentionally selling Sydney.