Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

London to Oz for $20 (STA Travel)

London to Oz for $20 (STA Travel)

Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default London to Oz for $20 (STA Travel)

Saw this in today's Sunday Times:

"On August 5, STA travel in Britain will mark it's 30th birthday by selling one-way, 10 pound (AUD20.50) tickets to anyone with a valid Working Holiday Visa. Tourism Australia's UK regional general manager said the promotion would raise awareness of the visa program, which is being supported by Quantas".
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London to Oz for $20 (STA Travel)

Originally Posted by Luma

"On August 5, STA travel in Britain will mark it's 30th birthday by selling one-way, 10 pound (AUD20.50) tickets to anyone with a valid Working Holiday Visa. Tourism Australia's UK regional general manager said the promotion would raise awareness of the visa program, which is being supported by Quantas".

Ok, so it will cost GBP10 to get to Australia, but
a) I think it will cost them a great deal more to get home;
b) I don't think Immigration officers at the airport would be too impressed with someone arriving on a WHV and no return ticket, and;
c) I am sure that Qantas would be able to sustain that ticket cost for long, if it has been correctly reported.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:41 am
ABCDiamond

There are only 150 of those £10 tickets on offer... so be quick... there may be a queue...

Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Again, links are needed if you are going to post exerpts from published materials. And I highly doubt the newspaper would have spelled the airline "Quantas".
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Cant comment on the link, but my in-laws who live in New Zealand told us about this after they heard it on the news there. Dont know which station be it tv or radio, but they sent us a text Friday night in regards to it, and I have been trawling immigration sites to find out what the score is and couldnt find anything, but must be an airline thing only.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Now found a link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...TA-Travel.html
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Prudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud ofPrudi has much to be proud of

I found this;

http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/x...xsl/promo5.htm

Had a look as I was curious. ADCDiamond is right - they recommend camping outside the shop to get a ticket.

I wasn`t curious enough to read the small print, but I wouldn`t be surprised if you have to pay the tax on top of the ticket price, which would be about £300?
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Prudi
I found this;

I wasn`t curious enough to read the small print, but I wouldn`t be surprised if you have to pay the tax on top of the ticket price, which would be about £300?

Tickets are fully inclusive of all taxes and charges and available on a first come first served basis.

That is quoted in the article in the Daily Mail ... there are only 150 and you have to have a WHV ....
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:39 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on you, Luma - inciting people to go off willy nilly travelling by air and adding to our planet's woes.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

I put that on here to see what reactions it caused. I don't know whether they are taking the piss or whether it is genuine.

I don't think many people want to fly Quantas anymore with their terrible accident recorded lately.

What do they want more Brits is it because they don't want anymore people from other countries?

Who the hell know why the governments do things they do.

I'm just typing my thoughts.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seasider
Shame on you, Luma - inciting people to go off willy nilly travelling by air and adding to our planet's woes.
Sorry I'll go sit in the naughty corner now.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:53 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Good girl.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Not sure the government is involved...

And the only real link to Qantus is that those who don't get the £10 ticket will be able to: "have exclusive access to a special discounted airfare from Qantas of £679 return"

This is just a British travel agents advertising offer. And with all the publicity it has got them, it seems a very cost effective way of doing it

Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I put that on here to see what reactions it caused. I don't know whether they are taking the piss or whether it is genuine.

I don't think many people want to fly Quantas anymore with their terrible accident recorded lately.

What do they want more Brits is it because they don't want anymore people from other countries?

I'm just typing my thoughts.

Terrible accident record?! Qantas are officially the safest airline in the world having never had a crash. There's been a few scares recently, try Air France or Yemen for a bad safety record
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Terrible accident record?! Qantas are officially the safest airline in the world having never had a crash. There's been a few scares recently, try Air France or Yemen for a bad safety record
Qantas have had a crash - going off the runway in Bangkok for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_1

They haven't had a fatality in the jet era, but have in earlier operations. The recent incident with a 2m hole opeining up in the plane at cruise was pretty serious!

Last edited by bcworld; Jul 6th 2009 at 1:46 am. Reason: removed links to pics that don't work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.