Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

London Olympic Games 2012

London Olympic Games 2012

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:38 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Olympic Games 2012

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I could be wrong but I don't think it's genuine venom. It's taking digs at your neighbour - like The Aussie Kiwi thing - isn't it?
Nah think its more than that. Am sure it really does go back to the politics of past centuries between england and france, but hey, even other french hate parisians
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scossie
Nice to see you're not stereotyping entire nations BP..

I'm well aware of The Auld Alliance that Scotland had with France, but that was hundreds of years ago.

What I want to know is where todays ill feeling between France and England comes from?
Read it as you want but it was not stereotyping an entire nation. I was comparing the rivalries. As you know there are scots who have varying degrees of hostility and friendliness to the English. I am talking from personal experience.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:54 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest a lot of nations hate the French, why? Just because they're French

HTH
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Cost of upgrading public transport system: £1million
Make that £4billion.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:11 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Read it as you want but it was not stereotyping an entire nation. I was comparing the rivalries. As you know there are scots who have varying degrees of hostility and friendliness to the English.
And vise versa.
How can you say, "Same mentality as the Scots" without it sounding like you are generalising?

Anyway...
My business partner is as English as Tower Bridge & we get on like a house on fire.
I personally would never judge anyone by their nationality, but, (as MLK said) by the content of their character.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

And vise versa.
How can you say, "Same mentality as the Scots" without it sounding like you are generalising?

Anyway...
My business partner is as English as Tower Bridge & we get on like a house on fire.
I personally would never judge anyone by their nationality, but, (as MLK said) by the content of their character.
The Scots who support the team playing England. Big difference.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:14 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

They can't help feeling inferior, how could they when we're with out doubt Superior
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I was once married to a very strange scotsman.

He loves watching England play footie and supports them (as long as its not against the sweaties) and is obsessed with cricket. I remember being at his mothers house in Kelvindale painting the outside of the house listening to the radio, when Ian Botham started smashing the Aussies all around the ground. He nearly fell off the ladder and dropped the paint pot!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I was once married to a very strange scotsman.

He loves watching England play footie and supports them (as long as its not against the sweaties) and is obsessed with cricket. I remember being at his mothers house in Kelvindale painting the outside of the house listening to the radio, when Ian Botham started smashing the Aussies all around the ground. He nearly fell off the ladder and dropped the paint pot!
I know a whole pub of Rangers fans in Glasgow that support England over Scotland
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fraser
I know a whole pub of Rangers fans in Glasgow that support England over Scotland

Ahhhh thats explains it then... he IS a rangers man!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:53 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
But can I see where 1 or 2 billion could be better spent in the UK - Yes
TT
The cost is not a problem, as the whole games extravaganza will generate enough money to pay for itself. Sport is now huge business, not like it was when Montreal had the games, and struggled to pay for it. By 2012 advertisers and sponsors will literally be fighting with each other to be associated with these games, so the money isnt an issue. The money will also regenerate a poor part of England, look at Eastlands in Manchester now, after the Commonwealth Games, its a really nice place.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
The cost is not a problem, as the whole games extravaganza will generate enough money to pay for itself. Sport is now huge business, not like it was when Montreal had the games, and struggled to pay for it. By 2012 advertisers and sponsors will literally be fighting with each other to be associated with these games, so the money isnt an issue. The money will also regenerate a poor part of England, look at Eastlands in Manchester now, after the Commonwealth Games, its a really nice place.
I used to live in Stratford and I'm thrilled that London has the games and also sad that i wont be here to see it changing.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:58 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon that's a special case though.
The reason so many Scots support The team playing England at football is because of the English media!

They constantly drone on with this hilarious misconception that the other teams may as well not turn up cos it's all a matter of, "Who are we going to beat in the final".
With one exception, (And the media constantly bore everyone to sleep about that as well) England have never even been in a final!

The press & TV though, continually churn out constant pompous self congratulating guff about England whenever there's a major football competition.
All this is seen in Scotland, so it should come as no surprise that when England inevitably get put out, the Scots aren't exactly slitting their wrists & jumping off buildings!

Scots freely admit that our international football team are woeful at the moment, (and have been for some time).
England have an average to good team, but certainly not the all conquering heroes that the media would have us believe.

Big difference.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

I reckon that's a special case though.
The reason so many Scots support The team playing England at football is because of the English media!

They constantly drone on with this hilarious misconception that the other teams may as well not turn up cos it's all a matter of, "Who are we going to beat in the final".
With one exception, (And the media constantly bore everyone to sleep about that as well) England have never even been in a final!

The press & TV though, continually churn out constant pompous self congratulating guff about England whenever there's a major football competition.
All this is seen in Scotland, so it should come as no surprise that when England inevitably get put out, the Scots aren't exactly slitting their wrists & jumping off buildings!

Scots freely admit that our international football team are woeful at the moment, (and have been for some time).
England have an average to good team, but certainly not the all conquering heroes that the media would have us believe.

Big difference.

yep, the press are already on the case in the build up to 2006 World Cup.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=fraser]I know a whole pub of Rangers fans in Glasgow that support England over Scotland [/QUOTE

Poor souls have migrated in the wrong direction

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.