London Move

Old Jul 10th 2005, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

uk2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London Move

I plan on moving to London in October. After arriving how would I go about looking for a place to live. Should I stay at hostel until I find a flat. What areas would you recommend? How much would a single room flat cost? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Move

Originally Posted by uk2006
I plan on moving to London in October. After arriving how would I go about looking for a place to live. Should I stay at hostel until I find a flat. What areas would you recommend? How much would a single room flat cost? Thanks for your help.
Hi
London is generally a very expensive place to live - especially in the heart of the city. Going just outside of London you would save a lot of money on hostel/flat fees.

Have you done any searches on GOOGLE? Just put in London Hostels and it comes up with loads! Nightly rates starting at £10 which included breakfast, sheets and towels, share dorms, sounds good eh??

As for flats, totally depends, like anywhere, on where you end up living.
Commuting in and around London is a bit of a nightmare traffic wise! But there are plenty of travel options open to you - bus, taxi, train, underground, (well until last weeks blasts that is!) :scared:

All depends on your personal budget really

London is a very busy, manic, expensive place to live and work, bit like Sydney is here, so people say. Works for some people, but not for others. What part of London are you thinking of heading to anyway?

Perhaps someone else on here who has actually lived and worked in or around London could assist you?

Gill
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk2006

Hi there,

The flat hunting bible for London is a newpaper called Loot which come out several times a week. You need to get it very early (preferably when the inks still wet!) and then sit on the phone calling your selected places. 9/10 will be already gone!!! (Can you tell I've done this several times??)
Areas vary and it depends how close you need to be to the city. I've lived all over the place in London (West Hampstead, Barons Court. Clapham, Archway, Crouch End and Battersea) I'd reccomend any of them. A good neighbourhood which costs slightly less than others is Stoke Newington because it doesn't have a tube yet. It's accesible easily by bus and has a great feel to it - lots of my friends live there so it's where I often stay when I'm in London.
Um...prices vary widely so pick and area and do some research.
If you need any more London info feel free to PM me.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Un-Co
A good neighbourhood which costs slightly less than others is Stoke Newington because it doesn't have a tube yet. It's accesible easily by bus and has a great feel to it.

Seconded, although its not so cheap now. However there are many large properties with house shares available. Only trouble is quite often they are only advertised in local cafes/newsagents etc on Chruch Street so you need to be there to investigate - Expect to pay around 100 GBP per week (which may or may not included some bills)