London Marathon

Old Dec 10th 2004, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about
Default London Marathon

OK, I know its got NOTHING to do with Oz or NZ but I wondered how many other nutters were running in the London Marathon next year? I'll be running it for the 11th time (26th Marathon overall) and it'll be one of the main things I really will miss should our move down under come off in '06.

Anyway, lets have a chat about it, swap war stories and arrange a meet up point at the start; it would be nice to put names to faces and talk about Australia whilst waiting nervously for the starting gun

Over to you.....
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:06 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: London Marathon

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
OK, I know its got NOTHING to do with Oz or NZ but I wondered how many other nutters were running in the London Marathon next year? I'll be running it for the 11th time (26th Marathon overall) and it'll be one of the main things I really will miss should our move down under come off in '06.

Anyway, lets have a chat about it, swap war stories and arrange a meet up point at the start; it would be nice to put names to faces and talk about Australia whilst waiting nervously for the starting gun

Over to you.....
I am!

I'm really looking forward to it as I have been running for a couple of years and plan to run marathons on a 'regular' basis... I wanted the London one to be my first.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
I am!

I'm really looking forward to it as I have been running for a couple of years and plan to run marathons on a 'regular' basis... I wanted the London one to be my first.

PW

Good for you! Getting nervous yet?. I get the same feeling every December as the 'You're In' pack drops through the door. Even if you only run one marathon in your life then London is the one to do. Its like a drug for me and I'll find it hard not to have our week-end away every April.

How much running have you done? complete novice or have you done any half-marathons yet? are you following a training programme or not?, got any other races planned in the build-up? are you running for charity or not? - million and one questions or what!

As I implied in my first post I've been running for a few years. I ran my first marathon back in 1994 in London funnily enough, finishing in 3hrs and 58mins but the time wasn't too important. I wanted to raise sponsorship for the local hospital in Dewsbury where my Dad had a triple-heart bypass. Anyway over the past 10 years I've completed another 24 full marathons and countless halfs raising over 15K in the process. The marathons have been all over Europe (Italy, Germany), 1 x New York and 1 in sunny Perth, except it threw it down and I didn't have a good run (2000). I've managed to get my time down to 3hrs and 03 mins by sheer hard-work and determination.

Why are you doing it? the charity angle or 'because its there? London is always the one I come back to and all 10 that I have done have been different in their own way. Its such an electric atmosphere the whole way around that it will live long in your memory.

Hoping to do 2 more and promised myself I would do it in fancy dress on the last one and have a laugh. Perhaps we can meet on Blackheath prior to the race? plenty of time between now and then though (about 119 days if I'm right!)
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:46 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
PW

Good for you! Getting nervous yet?. I get the same feeling every December as the 'You're In' pack drops through the door. Even if you only run one marathon in your life then London is the one to do. Its like a drug for me and I'll find it hard not to have our week-end away every April.

How much running have you done? complete novice or have you done any half-marathons yet? are you following a training programme or not?, got any other races planned in the build-up? are you running for charity or not? - million and one questions or what!

As I implied in my first post I've been running for a few years. I ran my first marathon back in 1994 in London funnily enough, finishing in 3hrs and 58mins but the time wasn't too important. I wanted to raise sponsorship for the local hospital in Dewsbury where my Dad had a triple-heart bypass. Anyway over the past 10 years I've completed another 24 full marathons and countless halfs raising over 15K in the process. The marathons have been all over Europe (Italy, Germany), 1 x New York and 1 in sunny Perth, except it threw it down and I didn't have a good run (2000). I've managed to get my time down to 3hrs and 03 mins by sheer hard-work and determination.

Why are you doing it? the charity angle or 'because its there? London is always the one I come back to and all 10 that I have done have been different in their own way. Its such an electric atmosphere the whole way around that it will live long in your memory.

Hoping to do 2 more and promised myself I would do it in fancy dress on the last one and have a laugh. Perhaps we can meet on Blackheath prior to the race? plenty of time between now and then though (about 119 days if I'm right!)
Not nervous, excited!

I'm mainly doing it 'because it's there'.

At 32 I am the fittest I have ever been (I gave up smoking 5 years ago, lost 4 stone 2.5 years ago and have discovered a love of excersise over the last 2 years) and am interested in pushing myself as much as possible, a friend has asked me to join him in the Everest marathon!

I am currently running between 20 and 30 miles a week (my longest training run so far is 13 miles) as well as gym work etc. I have trawled the internet looking at training programmes and adapted a number of them to suit me. I have competed in a number of races upto 10 miles and I have entered the Reading half-marathon.

I am aiming for a time around 3:30......

I actually got a 'you have not been succesful' pack drop through my front door. I then spent that morning contacting various charities begging for a gold bond place until I managed to get one; a bit of shame as it means I can't run for the charity that I origionally wanted too, but it is cancer related.

You certainly sound like a pro! Any tips at this stage?

Last edited by PWBCSA; Dec 10th 2004 at 12:00 pm. Reason: typo.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
, a friend has asked me to join him in the Everest marathon!

Any tips at this stage?
:scared: Yes - don't do it!! - now that is BARMY (Everest). TBH I got the 'unsuccesful pack' through too but living in Italy I'm able to book a guaranteed place through an Italian tour company. Makes it a bit more expensive but certainly less of a bind than being tied to a charity place. I really think some of the larger charities take the piss these days demanding 1500/2000 quid minimum. Makes life extremely difficult particularly when you don't quite raise the funds.

You'll enjoy the Reading half, I did it in 2002 and thought it was a very good course. The only gripe I had was that I thought there were simply too many people taking part for the size of the roads. Try and keep to the edge rather than getting caught in the pack in the middle at the start of the race.

The main tip at this stage is simply to keep it ticking over; don't start a structured training programme just yet. Enjoy the Christmas break and don't be afraid to have a or two - just don't over indulge. You've got 3-4 long, hard months of training ahead of you and at times it can become a bind. This is particularly true of the long Sunday morning run when its wet and windy and the family are snug in their beds. That said I really do love a long run on a crisp Winters morning when you can feel the cold air filling your lungs, makes you glad to be alive and have the fitness to do it.

3hrs 30 is certainly an ambitious time for a 1st but not impossible. I would recommend perhaps another half in addition to Reading, or if you can a 15 mile race. These are few and far between but are around. Wouldn't recommend doing more than 2 or 3 races and certainly none after Reading.

HTH. Could go on and on and on about the FLM itself but got to get some work done.

Ciao for now
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:46 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi you fit lot!

My husband will be doing the London marathon for the third time this year. I think he has a total of 4-5 already under his belt but don't tell him that I told you he finished one in an ambulance! (dehydration). Two years ago he ran London and Paris consecutive weekends. Utter madness but he lived to tell the tale and raised over £10,000 in the process.

He isn't addicted to this site yet but when I tell him about the subject matter it could well get him hooked! Running, Man Utd and cars - that's the kind of guy he is! Can't complain, he does manage to fit in time for me and our three girls somehow!

We are hoping to be out to Sydney about May 2005 and he is already talking about the race there on September 11th. See you there?!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi you fit lot!

My husband will be doing the London marathon for the third time this year. I think he has a total of 4-5 already under his belt but don't tell him that I told you he finished one in an ambulance! (dehydration). Two years ago he ran London and Paris consecutive weekends. Utter madness but he lived to tell the tale and raised over £10,000 in the process.

He isn't addicted to this site yet but when I tell him about the subject matter it could well get him hooked! Running, Man Utd and cars - that's the kind of guy he is! Can't complain, he does manage to fit in time for me and our three girls somehow!

We are hoping to be out to Sydney about May 2005 and he is already talking about the race there on September 11th. See you there?!
Binbird

2 marathons in 2 week-ends - TOTAL respect!! (bloody barmy mind you) Sorry to hear he finished one in an ambulance - that must be soul destroying. Mind you, last year or the year before, I saw a chap in the gutter surrounded by St Johns Ambulance (god bless em) giving first aid, found out later that he'd died of a previously undiagnosed heart condition.

Can relate to his love of running and cars but can't quite understand the Manc thingy though!! I think the Sydney marathon is sponsored by Flora as well isn't it?.mmmmm theres a thought