London Expo

Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:05 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Question London Expo

Hello everyone,

My husband has received an invite to go to the expo in London where they are looking to recruite 20,000 skilled migrants for Oz. My husband is a carpenter joiner so is on the demand list.

What I'm after is any help anyone can give me on the sort of questions you think he'll be asked so we can be prepared. I've been researching on which areas to live in in Australia and at the moment it's looking like NSW would be ideal. We have a 3½ year old boy and are looking for a nice family area that's not to far from some good shops etc - anyone any ideas we'd be really grateful?

We've never been to Australia before (we will visit first of course if he does get a job offer) and really have no idea what to expect. But we're not daydreamers, we're not expecting paradise but we're not leaving paradise either! We do love England but we'd also like to try Australia - at the end of the day if it really doesn't suit us we can come back but we'd certainly like to give it our best shot and my husband is a real grafter so he'll definately put his all into it. Just want to make sure we go in as informed as possible to help it be a smoother process.

At the moment it's very very early stages, I don't know how this expo is going to go or to be honest what it really involves yet.

Any advice really would be most appreciated though. Thanks very much
Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:24 am
Just Joined

JJ75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London Expo

Originally Posted by clippy
Hello everyone,

My husband has received an invite to go to the expo in London where they are looking to recruite 20,000 skilled migrants for Oz. My husband is a carpenter joiner so is on the demand list.

What I'm after is any help anyone can give me on the sort of questions you think he'll be asked so we can be prepared. I've been researching on which areas to live in in Australia and at the moment it's looking like NSW would be ideal. We have a 3½ year old boy and are looking for a nice family area that's not to far from some good shops etc - anyone any ideas we'd be really grateful?

We've never been to Australia before (we will visit first of course if he does get a job offer) and really have no idea what to expect. But we're not daydreamers, we're not expecting paradise but we're not leaving paradise either! We do love England but we'd also like to try Australia - at the end of the day if it really doesn't suit us we can come back but we'd certainly like to give it our best shot and my husband is a real grafter so he'll definately put his all into it. Just want to make sure we go in as informed as possible to help it be a smoother process.

At the moment it's very very early stages, I don't know how this expo is going to go or to be honest what it really involves yet.

Hi,
Have you had his qualifications recognised yet by TRA, my husband is also Carpenter & Joiner thought we could swap info. He has also got an invite for London Expo on Wed 28, not really sure what to expect either, taking along CV & reference from previous employer, cant find the list of employers attending yet, web site says it should be on today.
Good Luck
L&J
Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:31 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJ75
Hi,
Have you had his qualifications recognised yet by TRA, my husband is also Carpenter & Joiner thought we could swap info. He has also got an invite for London Expo on Wed 28, not really sure what to expect either, taking along CV & reference from previous employer, cant find the list of employers attending yet, web site says it should be on today.
Good Luck
L&J
Hello, no he hasn't had his skills assessed by TRA - has your husband? We thought we'd see how the expo went before we went ahead with the skills assessment, to be honest we'd only started looking at Australia living when we read about the 20,000 skilled migrants thing.

My husband's appointment is on Thursday 29th - EEK! He's sorted out his trade certificates and I've told him to get a reference from the company he works for at the moment.

Good luck for Wednesday!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Hi there, my friend is a government officer here in WA south west and she will be at the expo, her name is Geraldine Wilson and she is a really lovely lady, go and talk to her, they are crying out for tradesman here, Denise
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:36 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi there, my friend is a government officer here in WA south west and she will be at the expo, her name is Geraldine Wilson and she is a really lovely lady, go and talk to her, they are crying out for tradesman here, Denise
oh poo, our agent said it was a waste of time us going...!

do they have any opportunities for metal machinists?
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by cranni
Ooh fantastic, thanks very much! I'll tell my fella to make sure he goes to see her.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
oh poo, our agent said it was a waste of time us going...!

do they have any opportunities for metal machinists?
I don't know to be honest, if they are on the skills in demand list then it's worth going to. You have to be invited though - www.skills4oz.com
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:58 pm

we were asked via email but were told it was a waste of time...

...hope we've made the right decision!!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 2:04 pm

we were asked via email but were told it was a waste of time...

...hope we've made the right decision!!
Oh I see - yes that's the invite by email. Well I'm sure your agent knows what he's talking about.

Although I suppose by going you've got nothing to lose? Apart from a day's wages in my husband's case!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 2:09 pm

Oh I see - yes that's the invite by email. Well I'm sure your agent knows what he's talking about.

Although I suppose by going you've got nothing to lose? Apart from a day's wages in my husband's case!
LOL!!

Husband was going to go but now time is getting short dont think he'll be able to.

Oh well, cant do nowt about it now....!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 2:15 pm

LOL!!

Husband was going to go but now time is getting short dont think he'll be able to.

Oh well, cant do nowt about it now....!
No, don't worry about it - you're going to Australia anyway you lucky thing!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 2:33 pm

No, don't worry about it - you're going to Australia anyway you lucky thing!
Roll on 12th October!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 4:36 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: London Expo

re London expo

would it be beneficial to go if your application is skilled independent
or is it mostly for SIR candidates

I’ve read the info on the web link and its seems to be to be more orientated
towards people who want sponsorship

regards

Steve