Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lol USA vs Sweaties Anthems vs Aussie anthem

Lol USA vs Sweaties Anthems vs Aussie anthem

Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:26 am
Badge

Default Lol USA vs Sweaties Anthems vs Aussie anthem

When they (awfully sang) the US anthem at the world cup the Septics departed from the usual "look like a team about to play footie" and all turned sideways towards their flag (fair cop) arms across their chests, all standing individually, aloof, on their own like soccer players.

looked bloody weird. But good luck to em.

badgers

PS Feeble attempt to keep this thread on topic : has anyone been making a [conscious] effort to learn Advance Straya Fair? I kind of know it cos I went to Rotary once a week in Sydney.

Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lol USA vs Sweaties Anthems vs Aussie anthem

Originally posted by badgersmount
When they (awfully sang) the US anthem at the world cup the Septics departed from the usual "look like a team about to play footie" and all turned sideways towards their flag (fair cop) arms across their chests, all standing individually, aloof, on their own like soccer players.

badgers

PS Feeble attempt to keep this thread on topic : has anyone been making a [conscious] effort to learn Advance Straya Fair? I kind of know it cos I went to Rotary once a week in Sydney.
Not made any attempt at all As nat anthems go, the aus one is'nt too high on my "i like that one!!" list!.

And as far as the game goes...im watching it right now!!

Don't care if the Scots and Welsh want to be funny about supporting closer to home (i.e. England)....i would love the scots to win this.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:33 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Good save with the feeble attempt!!!

My partner has proclaimed that I MUST, as a matter of duty, learn Advance Australia Fair before he'll let me go back there with him, not least so that I can sing in full flow when we go to international sporting events.

Does anyone know if this used to be an obligatory requirement in times past??? Wonder if the £10 poms had to learn it on the boat over!

Mind you, at least the words of AAF are easier the Waltzing Matilda
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

badgers

Post that in the US forum. Might be a laugh. I will make as much effort to learn advance straya fair (a bloody awful song that the Aussies don't care for much) as I have done to learn and sing god save the queen (another bad song) ie none.

I support England at sport but I dislike blind patriotism as it is a tool used by politicians and the tabloids for their own agendas.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:47 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Post that in the US forum. Might be a laugh. I will make as much effort to learn advance straya fair (a bloody awful song that the Aussies don't care for much) as I have done to learn and sing god save the queen (another bad song) ie none.

I support England at sport but I dislike blind patriotism as it is a tool used by politicians and the tabloids for their own agendas.
You have been reading Karl Marx ?...BP... MM
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by mr mover
You have been reading Karl Marx ?...BP... MM

Much prefer the sayings of Groucho myself.

"I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury."
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:21 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bundy
Does anyone know if this used to be an obligatory requirement in times past??? Wonder if the £10 poms had to learn it on the boat over!

(Showing my age here) but us £10 Poms didn't need to learn AAF - it wasn't the anthem then. But I STILL know all the words to Walzing Matilda!!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:24 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
(Showing my age here) but us £10 Poms didn't need to learn AAF - it wasn't the anthem then. But I STILL know all the words to Walzing Matilda!!
Didn't really think you had to...my partner's mum was a £10 pom. When did AAF become the anthem? And every country needs an unofficial national anthem that people can actually sing.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:06 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by bundy

These are the words to AAf, but what they do manage to leave out is the final 2 verses as they are to near to mentioning England and a friend of mine said that they deliberately leave the last verses out so as not to mention the motherland, so she has given me the words here for you all. on the link below

http://www.imagesaustralia.com/austr...onalanthem.htm

just scroll down to read the full version and below is the one they sing to the world.

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR
Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature’s gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history’s page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We’ll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who’ve come across the seas
We’ve boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:07 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nicholls clan
These are the words to AAf, but what they do manage to leave out is the final 2 verses as they are to near to mentioning England and a friend of mine said that they deliberately leave the last verses out so as not to mention the motherland, so she has given me the words here for you all. on the link below

just scroll down to read the full version and below is the one they sing to the world.

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR
Our home is girt by sea;
Of beauty rich and rare;
Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
IT PLAYS THE MUSIC TOO !!! With a really cheesy intrument i might add!!

:scared:
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:12 pm
WBB

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR
Our home is girt by sea;
Of beauty rich and rare;
Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
that is like a cheesy early 80's electro pop version

Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by welshboybilly
But somehow strangely catchy
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:23 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by welshboybilly
I bet on the sly you were humming along and tapping the desk top with your pen
Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:24 pm
WBB

I bet on the sly you were humming along and tapping the desk top with your pen

no comment

Old Oct 20th 2003, 1:24 pm
Home in 2010.

Originally posted by PeteY
IT PLAYS THE MUSIC TOO !!! With a really cheesy intrument i might add!!

:scared:
I reckon it was Rolf harris on his Stylophone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.