Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Logitech Webcam ??

Logitech Webcam ??

Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:07 am
joveazey

Default Logitech Webcam ??

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a webcam and have seen this one in Comet for £64.99. Anyone know if it's any good ? It's a Logitech QC Pro 4000. I haven't had one before and haven't a clue what to get. Mind you, there doesn't seem to be much choice. Is this going to be much better than the one for £25 ?

Thanks

Jo

Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:23 am
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Logitech Webcam ??

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a webcam and have seen this one in Comet for £64.99. Anyone know if it's any good ? It's a Logitech QC Pro 4000. I haven't had one before and haven't a clue what to get. Mind you, there doesn't seem to be much choice. Is this going to be much better than the one for £25 ?

Thanks

Jo
Jo

I have used Logitech for the 12 months ( brilliant kit ) it only cost me roughly £30 back then and it's been really good, my cousin in Oz can see the detail on a picture behind me on the wall,and tells me it's a always a clear pic shot that he see's.
I bought 2 more at Christmas from PC world ( 2 x £40 ) and gave them as prezzies for when we go later this year ... thought i might as well benefit from other peoples prezzies .. why not !!!

I doubt wether you would get much better quality buying the dearer one ( might be slightly higher spec .. ) but in my opinion the ones at £25 are more than good enough for what you and i intend to use them for .

good luck in your purchase
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:32 am
joveazey

Thanks a lot Craig. Does the one you bought have a microphone ? I'm not really up to spec on this as I've never used one at home. Is it best for me to get my mum to buy the same as me ?

Jo

Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:42 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Joveazey, yeah it`s really good. Seems a bit expensive though.

Whatever camera you have, it needs to have an internal Mic. It`s a real pain otherwise with a hedphone/mic thing wrapped around your head.

have a look at www.ebuyer.com . I see there they have the Logitech QuickCam Express Plus for £24.81 inc VAT, and it says it has video/audio.

We have the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, which is great, and £57.99 inc VAT from ebuyer.

as for voice/video software, we`ve tried most of them, (paltalk, eyeball chat, icq), and they all have their faults, so you`re better to try them all yourself as well.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:45 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

The Logitech 4000 has a better camera, but if that`s not ultra-important check this out:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=72759

Logitech QuickCam Messenger Duo - 2 Webcams - Retail Box
£29.20 inc VAT
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stormz
The Logitech 4000 has a better camera, but if that`s not ultra-important check this out:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=72759

Logitech QuickCam Messenger Duo - 2 Webcams - Retail Box
£29.20 inc VAT
Those are the same as mine, paid £40 for it (it being one) about 12 months ago. had no problems whatsoever in UK or in Oz. Still working fine.

Andy
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Hi all,

Thanks

Jo
I'd suggest going for a £25-30 Logitech or Creative web cam. They will be plenty good enough.

I would also recommend spending £15 getting a proper headset (e.g. by Plantronics) as if you are doing lots of talking the quality of these over separate mic and speaker is much much better.

As for what software to use for chatting... Skype (www.skype.com) is definitely top of my list...

I use MSN Messenger for the Web Cam window, and Skype for the audio talking.

regards

alex
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex Hall
I'd suggest going for a £25-30 Logitech or Creative web cam. They will be plenty good enough.

I would also recommend spending £15 getting a proper headset (e.g. by Plantronics) as if you are doing lots of talking the quality of these over separate mic and speaker is much much better.

As for what software to use for chatting... Skype (www.skype.com) is definitely top of my list...

I use MSN Messenger for the Web Cam window, and Skype for the audio talking.

regards

alex
We've found it is possible to have a chat with the webcam, and a seperate mic on MSN, but it does have to be a seperate, ear-mouth set, if you try and use the internal mic on the webcams the feed back and echo is just stupid.

I've got stubborn family back home who insist on trying new technology to the limits, whereas, we would be happy enough using the webcam for viewing, and using the phone for talking (with 1cent a minute phone calls to the UK who cares!). The phone always gives better quality, and none of the awkward delays and echos.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future

I have got the Logitech 4000 and have to say its brilliant. The internal mike works fine with chatting to family in oz, I did have to adjust the feedback setting tho, once I installed. The picture is alot better than any others I have seen. It also has face tracking which is good.

All in all I am glad with my purchase, I have not had any other webcam tho, so cannot comment on any others.

Good luck, I know you won't be disappointed if you did buy one.

Tracey
Old Feb 18th 2005, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
We've found it is possible to have a chat with the webcam, and a seperate mic on MSN, but it does have to be a seperate, ear-mouth set, if you try and use the internal mic on the webcams the feed back and echo is just stupid.

I've got stubborn family back home who insist on trying new technology to the limits, whereas, we would be happy enough using the webcam for viewing, and using the phone for talking (with 1cent a minute phone calls to the UK who cares!). The phone always gives better quality, and none of the awkward delays and echos.

Cheers,
JTL
If you give Skype a go (PC to PC) you will find there is no lag (if you have a broadband link) and the quality is quite a bit better than using a phone.

Well worth trying...

Alex
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:07 pm
Now..just your usual Pom

C.Owen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot Craig. Does the one you bought have a microphone ? I'm not really up to spec on this as I've never used one at home. Is it best for me to get my mum to buy the same as me ?

Jo
Jo

Lots of alternatives as people have pointed out, i think mine is the Messenger Duo ( so were the 2 that i got for a bargain price of £30 @ PC World ) as Stormz mentioned in the reply... good kit, decent picture.

I wouldn't pay for the expensive one unless you planning to use to it's max capability or had experienced issues with a previous cam, i actually had a Trust one before this Logitech...it was useless always causing me hassle, and conflicting with other programs, i took it back to PC world .. they plugged it in, agreed it was crap quality picture and gave me the logitech one i still use today, i can't fault it.

I think the Logitechs all have built in mics in them now, but i have always used a seperate mic and found it has been fine. You can do a set up test on your PC and also if you use Yahoo messenger, you can do the Audio Wizzard set up which is quite easy ( located in messenger ...top right box ...under Help topics, third tab down ) 5 easy step checks.

As for compatability , you don't have to have the same make ... they all work
pretty much the same, the only difference will be the picture quality, as for getting your mum one, you might as well pick her one up at the same time as you get your own, unless you are already over in Oz and she is in the UK ??

Headsets are quite good i'm informed, but then it becomes a 1:1 session / conversation only and other family members can't join in, no good for us... as we have 2 or 3 in the web cam shot and talking together, it's good fun.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 3:43 am
Superfreak!!

The internal mic / external headset thing is really going to be down to how many people will be in the room trying to converse (if it`s only 1 person then a headset is a good idea), and also what software you`ll be using (as things like icq (iirc) are always `mic on`, and feedback to whoever is speaking if they don`t hit the mute button.

Paltalk can be a pain and has an ancient interface, but is still probably the best overall for voice and picture, but you have to pay a subscription each year for the video.

I`d get the cheaper double-pack Logitechs for £30, and if you ever feel the need to get the headset/mic thing, then you can get that later (or it`s probably dirt-sheap on ebuyer anyway so save on postage and get one too)...
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=66125
Mace Headset With Mic In Blue And Blk
£1.50 inc VAT

Yeah. Get the logitechs and a couple of headsets. You know it makes sense
Old Feb 19th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormz
The internal mic / external headset thing is really going to be down to how many people will be in the room trying to converse (if it`s only 1 person then a headset is a good idea), and also what software you`ll be using (as things like icq (iirc) are always `mic on`, and feedback to whoever is speaking if they don`t hit the mute button.

Paltalk can be a pain and has an ancient interface, but is still probably the best overall for voice and picture, but you have to pay a subscription each year for the video.

I`d get the cheaper double-pack Logitechs for £30, and if you ever feel the need to get the headset/mic thing, then you can get that later (or it`s probably dirt-sheap on ebuyer anyway so save on postage and get one too)...
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=66125
Mace Headset With Mic In Blue And Blk
£1.50 inc VAT

Yeah. Get the logitechs and a couple of headsets. You know it makes sense
Skype calling rates are here:

http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...l?currency=GBP

CallServe calling rates are here:

http://www.callserve.co.uk/Call_Rates.asp?

alex
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

a.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Thanks

Jo
hi joveazey we to have same model logitech qc pro 4000 and we use it to view friends and family from manchester to perth and sydney,its a good 1 alright,we use it with msn messenger (beta),much better than our last 1,good luck
Old Feb 19th 2005, 4:49 pm
joveazey

Thank you all for your help. I think I will buy the Logitech then, but try and get it cheaper somewhere else. I had a look at the Skype thing, and will download it when I sort the webcam out. Thanks again for all your info.

Jo