British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   logan nice or not ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/logan-nice-not-445593/)

brissie-here-we-come Apr 27th 2007 11:32 pm

logan nice or not ??

we are thinking of looking at renting in logan,thing is we dont know much about the place,hubby is an electrician ,we have 2 kids aged 8 years and 2 years,and my sis lives in thornlands ,how far to drive to ,would like affordable housing,any info appreciated :D

sparkley23 Apr 27th 2007 11:40 pm

Re: logan nice or not ??

Logan is nicknamed Bogan. Bogan is kind of the equivalent to Chav in Aus.

The Chief Apr 28th 2007 12:35 am

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come (Post 4708142)
we are thinking of looking at renting in logan,thing is we dont know much about the place,hubby is an electrician ,we have 2 kids aged 8 years and 2 years,and my sis lives in thornlands ,how far to drive to ,would like affordable housing,any info appreciated :D

Never been to Logan but would think you would be better of either going to the Bayside area or coming down to the Gold Coast. :thumbsup:

JosieJ Apr 28th 2007 2:38 am

I wouldn't!!!! Stopped there a couple of times to do the shopping etc on way to GC and even had a hungry jacks there too (burger king). Full of rednecks and unsavoury characters. Lots of crime too. Choose somewhere else!!!!!

Someone told me once - when you decide to buy a house go to the nearest shopping centres, pubs etc and see what sort of people are milling around in them. If you don't like the look of the people/shopping centre etc - don't move there. It is so true!!!!!!

the only good thing about Logan is that there's an ikea - but then that's arguable too!

Good luck though - use the electrical forum it's so full of helpful info - my OH is a sparky too. Hope you got your ARTC and are prepared for the licensing nightmare!!!

PM me if you need more help/advice - we've been here 3 months and love it (live in Coomera on the GC)

JJ
x

kevinandtracy Apr 28th 2007 3:13 am

I think that Logan is not as bad as some areas, but there are a lot better. Bayside is your best option. Thornlands is ok. Lots of POMS around there. work wise once he has his A class he will have no trouble getting work in Brissy. I work in Construction and there is plenty going on. Most of my mates are sparks and they say licence is not that hard just a pain in the ars to do, back at school stuff. Give me a call if you have any other queries.
Kev

wanderingwombat Apr 28th 2007 5:15 am

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come (Post 4708142)

Logan has good & no-go areas. East of the Motorway is generally better (although there are some exceptions on the western side). There is a good reason if the rent is cheaper than elsewhere.

WW

4500 Times Apr 28th 2007 5:16 am

Originally Posted by The Chief (Post 4708398)
Never been to Logan but would think you would be better of either going to the Bayside area or coming down to the Gold Coast. :thumbsup:

Yeah buy a house on the Bayside and pay TOP DOLLAR to live near mud flats !!!!!!!!!!!!! We lived there and just don't see the attraction ??

The S's Apr 28th 2007 5:44 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 4708926)
Yeah buy a house on the Bayside and pay TOP DOLLAR to live near mud flats !!!!!!!!!!!!! We lived there and just don't see the attraction ??

I'll second that:thumbsup:
Don't like the place, too many poms:p

Centurion Apr 28th 2007 7:41 am

Logans pretty rough generally speaking. Good and bad, but dont expect anyone to say "oh nice" when they ask you where you live and get used to them smiling in that "poor thing" sort of condescending way :)

Centurion Apr 28th 2007 7:46 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 4708926)

Because its actually nice here. Built out, old areas with excellent infrastructure and access to water, boats, the islands etc. Commutable to the CBD and generally each area has a unique charm of a seaside town. Granted nothing in the way of beaches really other than the odd spit etc, but thats when being close to Straddie and the other islands pays off.

sheli0508 Apr 28th 2007 9:19 am

Originally Posted by JosieJ (Post 4708649)
I
the only good thing about Logan is that there's an ikea - but then that's arguable too!

JJ
x

don't shatter my dreams JJ - I'm making the other half look at driving distance to Ikea so that I can have a regular fix when we get over there......

please tell me it's roughly the same as the uk one's....

Shelley

brissie-here-we-come Apr 28th 2007 9:58 am

Thanks everyone for your very truthful comments,having considered wot you have all said think we'll have to look else where ?? dont fancy going to somewhere that, how do i put it nobody has a good word to say about ??

if you have any suggestions of areas to fit us any greatfully recieved,need to be pretty much near my sis at thornlands though as we both may need each other for babysitting etc,and get on with my sis great so would be nice to be near,having said that we are going to be staying with them for the first few weeks we hit oz anyway.

on the electrical side ,brother inlaw (a sparky too)has said there is an easier way now to get your licence (he did the going back to college way). by apparently doing something like a test that only last say three saturdays ,but he's gonna try and find out more for us ,think his mate who's just landed is gonna do it that way ? gonna try to find something on sparky thread ?

again thankyou for helping us out everyone !!:thumbsup:

svinnes Apr 28th 2007 10:10 am

I have heard Logan is rough, but saying that i have heard the public schools are rough and both my kids go to public, don't know how they class rough here, but my idea of rough is kids wandering round school with knives, and selling drugs, not saying it doesn't exsist but i have not seen it as yet. As for the bayside i live in Wellington point and have yet to meet british people, have not heard any of the brit accents.
Cheers
Suzanne

The S's Apr 28th 2007 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by svinnes (Post 4709553)
I have heard Logan is rough, but saying that i have heard the public schools are rough and both my kids go to public, don't know how they class rough here, but my idea of rough is kids wandering round school with knives, and selling drugs, not saying it doesn't exsist but i have not seen it as yet. As for the bayside i live in Wellington point and have yet to meet british people, have not heard any of the brit accents.
Cheers
Suzanne

You need to take a trip to your neighbour, Birkdale, and go to Finnegans chin, nothing but poms having a beer and then going to the Indian next door for a curry. Owners are from Halesowen, all the staff wear england football tops as most of the customers are english. Its little Britain allright. Mind you I don't blame them, had a curry from Wellington point, had to wait in a huge queue and it was one of the worst I have ever tasted and I have had a lot of crap curries here.:eek:

JackTheLad Apr 28th 2007 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by The S's (Post 4709821)
You need to take a trip to your neighbour, Birkdale, and go to Finnegans chin, nothing but poms having a beer and then going to the Indian next door for a curry. Owners are from Halesowen, all the staff wear england football tops as most of the customers are english. Its little Britain allright. Mind you I don't blame them, had a curry from Wellington point, had to wait in a huge queue and it was one of the worst I have ever tasted and I have had a lot of crap curries here.:eek:

I don't know what time you go to Finnegan's Chin. Most of the times we've been there, JTL was the only British person there (but now he's also an Australian!), and most other people were Ozzie tradies. At the end of the day, it's an Irish bar for gawd sake !! You wanna meet Ozzies, try going to Hogan's in Wello point. :rolleyes:

That's a first, someone complaining about meeting non-Aussies in an Irish bar. :p

As for poms going to the Spice Avenue, what's wrong with that? For all you know these poms might be from different areas of Brisbane, not neccesarily all from the bayside. If there was an authentic Chinese restaurant somewhere in the area, you would expect to see a few Chinese too, wouldn't you? But you wouldn't say the area is full of Chinese?!

Mrs JTL