Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Location V. Big House

Location V. Big House

Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location V. Big House

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
We actually have a teenagers retreat !

It works like a dream... wouldnt be without it.

Also have a rumpus, and again wouldnt be without it, cos apparently its ideal for putting clothes airers, cos your TITE BASTARD HUSBAND wont buy poor wifey a bloody tumble drier lol !!!!

Tumble Dryer is waaaay cheaper
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Tumble Dryer is waaaay cheaper
uh huh !!!

Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I had that mentality in the Uk.

Worse house on the best street... and to a degree it works.

But because, Australia, doesnt follow the every house is the same rule, then the worst house in the street, can and often costs more to rectify, reno or detonate and renovate.. than its clearly worth !

Whereas in the UK, renovating can be a happy experience, and seamless... in Oz, the fact theres so much legislative red tape, begs the question, WHY BOTHER !

Its often cheaper to buy a cruddy house, on a great block, in a good locale... demolish the bugger and rebuild.

Ste
I'd forgotten the way in the UK peope watch the identikit house next door sell and then factor in their slightly newer kitchen to get a higher price....

I still think the smallest (and cheapest) or slightly run down house in the best street is the way to go.

Our reno meant a new ensuite - 3000 bucks, fixing up the deck 3000 bucks - most of which was laserlight and labour. And a coat of paint everywhere which we have yet to do...one day those tatty facia boards will get done! Infact a lick of paint is the main thing. Bathroom old but we like it and the kitchen had been done recently to quite a high standard. My view is a house will stand for 100 years and even a 250k house is more than I'd ever spend on reno in a lifetime and all those extras to complete a new house add up.

Water tanks was a luxury we did for ourselves.

I know a house which sold which was so extensively renoed they took out the internals walls and started again and it cost!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Also have a rumpus, and again wouldnt be without it, cos apparently its ideal for putting clothes airers, cos your TITE BASTARD HUSBAND wont buy poor wifey a bloody tumble drier lol !!!!

I can see the value in 1 extra room - just not some of the huge open plan things you see. With 2 babies we are flat out trying to keep the house tidy so a 1 room /study extension will be the go for us.

Infact in 10 years we will go for an extension and end up with a retreat/4th bedroom.

In the meantime our 1 year plan is to build a 6mx6m workshop, and 3 year plan - (it can wait) converting the garage in to a study- and that's assuming 3 kids.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I can see the value in 1 extra room - just not some of the huge open plan things you see. With 2 babies we are flat out trying to keep the house tidy so a 1 room /study extension will be the go for us.

Infact in 10 years we will go for an extension and end up with a retreat/4th bedroom.

In the meantime our 1 year plan is to build a 6mx6m workshop, and 3 year plan - (it can wait) converting the garage in to a study- and that's assuming 3 kids.
Have you considered just buying a block of land, and building exactly what you want?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

I'm not there yet - but as an ex estate agent I would definately go for location. A good house in a poor location has a ceiling limit and will be harder to sell when you want to move on - buy in a good area and renovate and you will reap the higher selling price and it will sell faster. Houses seem to increase their value slightly higher in good areas.

Location, Location, Location!!

Hope all goes well
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=moneypen20;5881378]I'd go location first every time but then I just don't get the urge to have a rumpus room or a parents retreat - they both seem pointless to me, especially a parents retreat. I'd love to know how many parents actually retreat from the kids and move to a room next to their bedroom to chill - If I want shot of the kids (which is rare), I pick my book up and when I retreat I go to bed. I'm missing something obviously

You clearly havent met my kids lol a parents retreat is my number one priority when looking for a house, a place we can chill in the evening without haveing to look at tinkywinky, dipsy, lala and Po.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

So all definitely in favour of location!

I don't think anywhere we'd consider would be a bad location because, as suggested by an earlier poster, we'll be following the schools. However, certain central locations would be better for us and I'm guessing from the house prices, better for a lot of other people also.

I suspect my question has probably come from the fact that with 3 kids, (and relatives that come to visit), at some point we will want a 4 bed house. I don't mind the idea of buying in an area then trading up in a couple of years but I have read a lot of worrying things about the Australian housing market and we don't want to find ourselves unable to do this.

There is also the instant gratification and the feeling of having made a big lifestyle change that comes with getting a bigger house with pool. And with young children we can't think of a house as just an investment, as things like a nice garden do make a big difference to our day to day lives.

However, I think deep down, I am a location person and I do have a big problem with faceless suburbs, with few facilities, so while I might be happy with our house, I might not want to step out of it!

I just wish we were less 'city people' as it seems that those that like living on the outskirts of Melbourne can have it all - a location they like and their ideal house.

WithIce x
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by WithIce
but I have read a lot of worrying things about the Australian housing market and we don't want to find ourselves unable to do this.
Where did you read that ? ( being the plural )
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Concerns over affordability:

www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

Combined with concerns over interest rate rises:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10490533

Combined with concerns over the rapid increase in prices in Melbourne (where we are looking) in the last year:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...28-661,00.html

WithIce x
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Okaaaay....one word...decaf!!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:36 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

We're pretty sure that when we move to Melbourne we will have to decided between a location we like - lots of transport, cafes, beaches, good schools and short commute to CBD and the house we'd like - 4 bed, big plot, pool and rumpus room (With about $3 million we could probably have it all)

I constantly go back and forth trying to decide which will make us most content.

So for those of you not lucky enough to have it all, how did you decide - location or house? And are you happy with what you chose?

WithIce x
We went with location. A no brainer for us. Not having any links or family here in Melbourne and having rented for a couple of years, we opted in the end for Rosanna as it satisified our main criteria of :
- within 15k (or 30 minute train ride to the CBD)
- within 10 mins walk of the train station
- in a Green belt (really obvious when you look at the NE suburbs via Google Earth)
- an established suburb with good schools and low crime rate.
- a 3 bed house, with a garage, room for a veggie plot, and that was not gonna require any reno work.

These criteria overruled all else when we had our list of MUST haves and NICE to haves during our house hunting process.

No interest in a McMansion, a pool or living by the beach. Our main pastime is paragliding which usually has us heading inland rather than to the coast ;-)

Very happy we made the decision we did in March 2005. Very lucky we bought when we did as if we were doing it again now, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL we could have afforded this area. Without a shadow of a doubt, we would be at least 10Km farther out.....

I will emphasise that point as I cannot make it strongly enough. Property prices have soared since we bought in 2005. I have genuine sympathy for anyone trying to get into the market now.

Last edited by @boy; Feb 6th 2008 at 8:44 am.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:39 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

location every time..
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:51 am
Banned

Concerns over affordability:

www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf

Combined with concerns over interest rate rises:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10490533

Combined with concerns over the rapid increase in prices in Melbourne (where we are looking) in the last year:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...28-661,00.html

WithIce x
K looked at the links...

So . you are armed with some 3rd party and actually some out of date information... yet are questioning if it should be location/affordability/heart/brain/long term ???

Reading your other posts, it appears you want best of both worlds... semi rural/beach/heart of action/good schools/affordability

Toxteth Liverpool, have a grammar school? !

Im not assuming your a Kiwi, just because your sig says New Zealand.. and you seem articulate enough to make a rational decision... so MAKE one lol !!

Ste
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:11 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by @boy
We went with location. A no brainer for us. Not having any links or family here in Melbourne and having rented for a couple of years, we opted in the end for Rosanna as it satisified our main criteria of :
- within 15k (or 30 minute train ride to the CBD)
- within 10 mins walk of the train station
- in a Green belt (really obvious when you look at the NE suburbs via Google Earth)
- an established suburb with good schools and low crime rate.
- a 3 bed house, with a garage, room for a veggie plot, and that was not gonna require any reno work.

These criteria overruled all else when we had our list of MUST haves and NICE to haves during our house hunting process.
The humble, but all important veggie plot by the way !
Attached Thumbnails Location V. Big House-veggies.jpg  

Last edited by @boy; Feb 6th 2008 at 6:19 pm.