Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

location and schooling in Adelaide

location and schooling in Adelaide

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:45 pm
wombat42

Default Re: location and schooling in Adelaide

Originally Posted by indooroopilly88
I lived in Adelaide for 2.5 years. I would definitely NOT recommend living here .. unless you have no choice.

Better to move to:

1. Perth
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Hobart
6. Darwin
7. Adelaide

This is coming from someone who is an Australian.
Your probably right except Adelaide is better then Darwin.

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

leicester girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HCK
Hello Leicester girl, from another Leicestershire (girl ha ha!!) a little bit to old to be called a girl. We are also going through the emigration process with the police force, so if we are lucky will be moving to Adelaide. We also have three children although two of them are at University at the moment, we need a school for our 8 year old. Please keep in touch with any suggestions of good schools.
Happy New Year HCK
I think I was being a little scepticle with the 'girl' thing - but I guess we always feel young! will let you know about schools - try searches on this site for any areas that you like the look of.....my sister works as a civvy at the main narborogh site in leics
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HCK
Happy New Year to you. We are also thinking of going to Adlaide and will be looking into schools for our 8 year old. Out of curiosity are you in the police force? I would like to keep in touch as it's quite a scary project with lots to sort out.

Regards Helen, John and family

just training to be a reacher actually! will pass on any info as I feel the same way that there is sooooo much to look into!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by arlene
i live in woodcroft and its only 10 mins from the beach and the big shopping mallls and 10 mins into the hills

lovely place to live

arlene
sounds wonderful!!! and the icing on the cake - are there any decent - not too busy pubs to take an occational wander to meet the neighbourhood?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by indooroopilly88
I lived in Adelaide for 2.5 years. I would definitely NOT recommend living here .. unless you have no choice.

Better to move to:

1. Perth
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Hobart
6. Darwin
7. Adelaide

This is coming from someone who is an Australian.
Whats so bad about Adelaide??
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:16 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by leicester girl
Whats so bad about Adelaide??
Its

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

If you are easily pleased (as I am) - Adelaide is a really pleasant place to be.

Lots of lovely parklands, paddling on the river, swimming in the ocean, walking in the hills, touring vineyards in the Barossa, drinking coffees (or a glass of something chilled) outside a cafe in the sunshine, dancing to jazz in your local on a Sunday night, playing netball, taking in a leisurely game of cricket in the sunshine, seeing the beautiful parakeets and cockatiels in your own back garden....

Bring on those Zzzzzz - I can't get enough!

Old Jan 16th 2005, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, Adelaide sounds ideal
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:26 am
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leicester girl
just training to be a reacher actually! will pass on any info as I feel the same way that there is sooooo much to look into!
Hi there did you mean teacher!!!? what university are you training at as my eldest daughter is doing her PGCE at Leicester university at the mo. We need to find out if it would be recognised in Oz without doing her NQT year here or would she have to do a recongnised PGCE Oz style agiain for a futher year. Where od you find all this info from??
Old Jan 17th 2005, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HCK
Hi there did you mean teacher!!!? what university are you training at as my eldest daughter is doing her PGCE at Leicester university at the mo. We need to find out if it would be recognised in Oz without doing her NQT year here or would she have to do a recongnised PGCE Oz style agiain for a futher year. Where od you find all this info from??
yes it was a spelling mistake!! I have just applied to Leicester Uni to start my PGCE in september - hope to hear in a weeks time....The PGCE is definately recognised world wide unlike other training courses, so no problems there. As for the NQT i'm not sure, I think that If you have the PGCE then just apply for a job as you would do here as an NQT. The information available is very hard to understand and seems to change on a weekly basis, also talking to education authorities over there by phone does even get you a straight answer - try posting a question on the forum - i'm sure there are a few teachers out there in the know!! .....good luck to your daughter
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:19 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HCK
Happy New Year to you. We are also thinking of going to Adlaide and will be looking into schools for our 8 year old. Out of curiosity are you in the police force? I would like to keep in touch as it's quite a scary project with lots to sort out.

Regards Helen, John and family
Dear Helen and Co,
have sent you a pm. If you are going for what I think you are, good luck!!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:49 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi can't be a lot of help as to your questions but thought I would say we are looking at going to Adelaide as well and have 2 boys 10, and 13 if you would like to keep in touch.
ps I assume you have tried the Adelaide Brits site.

Happy New Year, Chris and family.

Hi Chris,
read your thread to HCK, Im in similar position to her -could you let me have the Adelaide Brits site address? Thanks
Mrs Muppet
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Adelaide is a lovely place. Different people like different things, that's life. I just suggest to any people looking to move anywhere - try it out, don't burn your bridges, and be positive.

I've been here for just over four years now. I was 22 when I moved here, I'd been into the clubs and fast pace of London for a couple of years, but now really like the lifestyle here. Adelaide has is negative sides, but so has every other place.

N

Originally Posted by Olive101
If you are easily pleased (as I am) - Adelaide is a really pleasant place to be.

Lots of lovely parklands, paddling on the river, swimming in the ocean, walking in the hills, touring vineyards in the Barossa, drinking coffees (or a glass of something chilled) outside a cafe in the sunshine, dancing to jazz in your local on a Sunday night, playing netball, taking in a leisurely game of cricket in the sunshine, seeing the beautiful parakeets and cockatiels in your own back garden....

Bring on those Zzzzzz - I can't get enough!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have any info on Hallett Cove and area? Thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:30 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nara
I agree. Adelaide is a lovely place. Different people like different things, that's life. I just suggest to any people looking to move anywhere - try it out, don't burn your bridges, and be positive.

I've been here for just over four years now. I was 22 when I moved here, I'd been into the clubs and fast pace of London for a couple of years, but now really like the lifestyle here. Adelaide has is negative sides, but so has every other place.

N
Comforting to hear your comments, can you give my 21 year old daughter any other positive feedback from Adeliade, as we are currently looking into emigrating to Adeliade. She graduated last year with a Biomedical science degree and is now doing her PGCE to teach science, she hopes to complete that in late June this year and if we are successful should becoming out shortly after that. She also likes clubs, dancing etc. as she was at university in Liverpool where there is a good nightlife. Do you know any teachers out there, who could give us info, as she is concerned she would have to do her PGCE out there again, and not be able to teach straighaway. She is also woried about making friends, you know all the natural things you worry about!! Thanks Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.