Location advice

Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

KevinJames is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Location advice

Thanks for all replies re NSW previously. We are looking to move to Australia in the next year. We have 2 children aged 7 and 4 and are really looking for any advice on where to move to. We have been looking into work there for some time and are in the process of gathering information and sending CV's but don't really know where to focus our efforts and would be grateful for any advice in terms of areas. We have spent many hours!!! searching the internet for information on various parts of Australia - most are extremely informative but naturally place much emphasis on the benefits and beauties of each area. We would be grateful of some realistic info please. Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location advice

Originally Posted by KevinJames
Thanks for all replies re NSW previously. We are looking to move to Australia in the next year. We have 2 children aged 7 and 4 and are really looking for any advice on where to move to. We have been looking into work there for some time and are in the process of gathering information and sending CV's but don't really know where to focus our efforts and would be grateful for any advice in terms of areas. We have spent many hours!!! searching the internet for information on various parts of Australia - most are extremely informative but naturally place much emphasis on the benefits and beauties of each area. We would be grateful of some realistic info please. Thanks
What job are you looking for?

That may be the most important factor
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:51 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You already have visas I take it?
I'd let work decide at least immediately as your pounds run out very quickly and you will need an AUD income stream.

What do you do work wise? Then BEers can suggest some areas
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is huge, as big as Europe. You really are going to have to narrow this down a bit, we can't do that for you. As the others have said, perhaps work opportunities can narrow it down.

Certainly made it easy for us, we deduced that the only place my husband was likely to get work was Sydney and this has been confirmed by many people since we got here.

Do you have a visa?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:38 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site mate

I note from your previous posts you are a civil engineer and your wife a midwife so this pretty much opens up anywhere in Aus for you (providing you have the right visa) . I guess it's more about what place you fancy living in so you need to give more details.

The best thing to do is take a look at various projects that have opened up in Aus and see which one is likely to need your skills as your wife is likely to not have much problem in any hospitals where you choose to live. Have you thought of checking out LinkedIn and seeing if anyone you've worked with previously is listed on there and working on any projects out here cos civil engineers seem to float around the same pond in different parts of the world?

Also your wife might check out the nurses form here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

You can also do a search on the various Aus forums to get a feel for the different areas of Aus and try check out what you thinksuits you best.

Good luck mate
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:47 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Pick a state...

And then do you want to be in the city, or out of the city, or country?

And then we can narrow it down from there.

Also I'm presuming your pay is higher than your wife's? From a purely practical point of view, where are the top paying jobs for you?
Then we can work backwards in terms of hospitals, and areas for your kids.

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all. Yes, mine will be the main source of income so will dictate location. The feedback so far job wise seems to be largely NSW or S Aus. There are opportunities in Perth but they are on a 3 week fly in fly out basis. Not that that is really a problem long term, but would rather not be away from the family for such long stretches, particularly when we first arrive, for practical reasons. However, my wife has family in Perth!! We have been mainly looking at New South Wales for ideas of property prices etc, although we intend to rent when we arrive to get a feel for the areas, but are just trying to break everything down cost wise so we know exactly what we are getting in to. We felt positive about NSW but then got quite a lot of fairly negative feedback about it, relating to chemical plants and such like???? My wife has started her initial process regarding her registration with the Australian equiv of the NMC.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:35 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

As a midwife your wife will have no trouble finding work in any area as all are pretty much looking for midwives. Public hospitals will offer her a more UK like work environment but with better midwife:women ratios than in the NHS and also better pay. Private hospitals will offer her a more obstetric role but if she enjoys a challenge (much more interventionist, often a defensive midwifery role) then she will enjoy it and the buildings are much nicer with a lot more facilities usually. However there are less midwives to patients in a private hospital.

Midwifery employers will often offer a relocation package to assist you with your move so if you can find an area where you are likely to get work then contact some local agencies or hospitals there could be some settlement money in it for you.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:59 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of places in NSW without chemical plants!
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:02 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. Yes, mine will be the main source of income so will dictate location. The feedback so far job wise seems to be largely NSW or S Aus. There are opportunities in Perth but they are on a 3 week fly in fly out basis. Not that that is really a problem long term, but would rather not be away from the family for such long stretches, particularly when we first arrive, for practical reasons. However, my wife has family in Perth!! We have been mainly looking at New South Wales for ideas of property prices etc, although we intend to rent when we arrive to get a feel for the areas, but are just trying to break everything down cost wise so we know exactly what we are getting in to. We felt positive about NSW but then got quite a lot of fairly negative feedback about it, relating to chemical plants and such like???? My wife has started her initial process regarding her registration with the Australian equiv of the NMC.
Chemical Plants??? The state of NSW is massive and its certainly not overrun with Chemical plants.
I think someone may have been alluding to the recent spate of breaches of proper protocol and safety and thus some leaks in the Newcastle area and also at Port Botany (I think?).
Put it in context, if a Chemical plant in Birmingham had a leak, would that stop you living in England?
I agree with others, sort your job out first and then try and get your wife one and use either to get a full relocation package, would help on so many levels. Then, when you have the job which meets your needs, look at the job location and decide your commute type/times preferences and your preferred living environment. Then think of schools and family options for fun/relaxation. There are plenty of good schools in most parts of Australia, don't go down the 'its all about our kids schooling ' route and make decisions based on that as it will be disastrous and based on opinions and hearsay.
Find a job, find a home, find a school....in that order.

With the home, use logic in that if its a nice place to live then the rents/prices will reflect that. Beach, Harbour, good transport link suburbs will be the more expensive and sought after. Renting is extremely common here in Australia and the view/rent system here is quite competitive and ruthless. Be prepared to compromise for your first place and use it as a 'look around' to get to know all the other suburbs/demographics once here. There is absolutely no better way to understand yourself what locations are like than to be here and breathe it all in for yourself.
Good luck in your applications!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

if you are a Civil Engineer then Qld or WA offer most opportunities with best pay.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Have another look at the fifo roles from Perth as i would be surprised if you were doing 3 week rotations. The most common rotation in WA among proffessional roles such as engineers and scientists is 8 days on 6 off, which works out at 7 nights away and 7 home. Personaly i find that better than the monday to friday thing
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:59 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The term 'civil engineer' covers a multitude of sins. What area of civil engineering do you have most experience in - roads, railways, tunnels, dams, buildings, etc, etc? I, for example, am a mechanical engineer according to my qualifications, but I've been working with oil and gas pipelines and facilities for the past 30 years and just about any graduate could do better than me in other areas of mechanical engineering.

Knowing your speciality would assist in advising you about locations.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:38 am
Just Joined

I'm a site agent/project manager, have 9 years exp. Mainly large scale water and treatment plants, pipelines etc. also covering road works and such like. re money, we are realistic (i think!) As have family in oz so appreciate most costs etc.. and will take on board possible steps back re accomodation initially-a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:55 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Try Worley Parsons, large global company with many interests in that type of work and several offices/set ups around Australia. Also check out Leightons, another large company in that field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.