Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Local Tradesman - is this just me?

Local Tradesman - is this just me?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Local Tradesman - is this just me?

Hi

I'm curious to know if this is just my problem or if it is a common phenonomen in Oz.

We are trying to get some landscaping done in our garden, since Christmas I have called over 10 companies trying to get quotes, only 2 ever called back. The first chap came to give us a quote for decking and turf, took 2 weeks to get back to us with the decking quote and had completely forgotten about the turfing we had asked for. After comparing his quote to the other one, we chose him, called him to confirm arrangements, a week later we had still not heard from him, chased him again to find out he has decided to give up landscaping and had taken another job because he says there is not enough work with the recession!

So back to the other quote we managed to get for decking, we decided to use them as we can't seem to get anyone else, 50% cash up front which I was not very sure of but went along with it. They turned up, took the cash, made a start of digging the foundation holes, and said they would be back in an hour to do some more. They came back at 5pm, worked for an hour and then didn't come back for 2 days (all their equipment and tools are in our garage so I'm not too worried about the deposit now) They turn up today, bringing the wood for the decking and then say they have to finish someone's fence and will return in an hour. 3pm now and no sign of them...........

Back to the turfing, we have now called over 5 companies to do this, only 1 has turned up and we are still trying to pin him down for a quote!

We have also had great problems in getting anyone come to fix our aerial, repair the dishwasher, and install some heaters. Are they so busy they don't need the work? Or just don't want to deal with a woman? I wouldn't mind if they were busy and actually said so but all I get is I'll call you tomorrow and then nothing!

Is this just me?

Sam
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local Tradesman - is this just me?

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

I'm curious to know if this is just my problem or if it is a common phenonomen in Oz.

We are trying to get some landscaping done in our garden, since Christmas I have called over 10 companies trying to get quotes, only 2 ever called back. The first chap came to give us a quote for decking and turf, took 2 weeks to get back to us with the decking quote and had completely forgotten about the turfing we had asked for. After comparing his quote to the other one, we chose him, called him to confirm arrangements, a week later we had still not heard from him, chased him again to find out he has decided to give up landscaping and had taken another job because he says there is not enough work with the recession!

So back to the other quote we managed to get for decking, we decided to use them as we can't seem to get anyone else, 50% cash up front which I was not very sure of but went along with it. They turned up, took the cash, made a start of digging the foundation holes, and said they would be back in an hour to do some more. They came back at 5pm, worked for an hour and then didn't come back for 2 days (all their equipment and tools are in our garage so I'm not too worried about the deposit now) They turn up today, bringing the wood for the decking and then say they have to finish someone's fence and will return in an hour. 3pm now and no sign of them...........

Back to the turfing, we have now called over 5 companies to do this, only 1 has turned up and we are still trying to pin him down for a quote!

We have also had great problems in getting anyone come to fix our aerial, repair the dishwasher, and install some heaters. Are they so busy they don't need the work? Or just don't want to deal with a woman? I wouldn't mind if they were busy and actually said so but all I get is I'll call you tomorrow and then nothing!

Is this just me?

Sam
No not just you, fairly standard practice, not just for individuals, but for companies too.

My new patio roof: wrong fascia board, wrong bolts, wrong screws, wrong rivets.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:11 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
No not just you, fairly standard practice, not just for individuals, but for companies too.

My new patio roof: wrong fascia board, wrong bolts, wrong screws, wrong rivets.
waiting all day for the tradesmans entrance is no fun
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
waiting all day for the tradesmans entrance is no fun
I know . . . I've been on the wrong end of that particular arrangement many a time . . .
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:16 am
Account Closed

I know . . . I've been on the wrong end of that particular arrangement many a time . . .
It can be difficult to book a slot and sometimes they just can't fit you in
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It can be difficult to book a slot and sometimes they just can't fit you in
They say they'll call you . . . but they never do
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:18 am
Account Closed

They say they'll call you . . . but they never do
you just feel used
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you just feel used
Of course its a different story when things slow down . . . all of a sudden you've got them knocking your back door off its hinges, desperate for it!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:20 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

For tradesmen in Australia working is optional. Even if you've agreed to do something you only do it if you're in the mood (which you almost never are).

Getting things done here is next to impossible these days. You might wait weeks for someone to turn up to give a quote, and even then they might 'forget' to come over.

There are a few good people around (the last one we used was an Irishman who'd just arrived in the country - he hadn't learnt 'the rules' yet!!). If you ever find someone decent it's the done thing to pass their name around - good tradesmen are few and far between.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SNH
For tradesmen in Australia working is optional. Even if you've agreed to do something you only do it if you're in the mood (which you almost never are).

Getting things done here is next to impossible these days. You might wait weeks for someone to turn up to give a quote, and even then they might 'forget' to come over.

There are a few good people around (the last one we used was an Irishman who'd just arrived in the country - he hadn't learnt 'the rules' yet!!). If you ever find someone decent it's the done thing to pass their name around - good tradesmen are few and far between.
Sounds almost identical to the dramas I had using British tradesmen when I was in the UK.

Late, over-priced, frequent mistakes, shoddy quality and generally all round dreadful service.

I was so happy when I found some decent Poles to do the work I needed.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Of course its a different story when things slow down . . . all of a sudden you've got them knocking your back door off its hinges, desperate for it!
Spartacus and kporte - excellent sparring. May be wasted on some but not me - made me chortle...

Then the buggers have the nerve to bill you - and you feel doubly shafted...
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slipshot
Spartacus and kporte - excellent sparring. May be wasted on some but not me - made me chortle...

Then the buggers have the nerve to bill you - and you feel doubly shafted...
yes, that moment when he looks at you, tool in hand, demanding payment for services rendered.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

yes, that moment when he looks at you, tool in hand, demanding payment for services rendered.
With, more often than not, a large smile and the that 'sucking through the teeth noise' that comes with all tradespeople...
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I see I'm not alone

Needless to say the decking men (who said they would be 1 hour only) have not returned and as it's not 4.20pm, I don't imagine we'll be seeing them again until next week sometime. And I've also noticed they have taken the tools out of my garage so I can't hold them to ransom now either.

I just have to hope that they will return to complete the decking, I wonder when the turfing man might get back to us, next week maybe or is that just too much to ask.............................

Sam
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by slipshot
With, more often than not, a large smile and the that 'sucking through the teeth noise' that comes with all tradespeople...

We've had that too, I'm only asking a decking man (who claims to be an expert on guess what? Decking!) to put in some decking on a nice flat area, nothing fancy, nothing flash, but there was lots of sighing, checking of the calculator and smacking of lips

Sam

Last edited by Sammy T; Feb 27th 2009 at 4:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.