Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"local" knowledge in job market

"local" knowledge in job market

Old Sep 9th 2002, 4:35 pm
jmac

Default "local" knowledge in job market

Hi Folks!

All going well, I will have my Oz PR visa by the end of the year and have read much of your correspondence with interest over the months. I would like to ask if someone could perhaps describe in more detail what kind of "local" knowledge of the IT market employers are looking for in Australia.
Like some others I find myself in a bit of a quandary regarding emigration especially as I have just landed a great job at Edinburgh University. But, after working in Europe, US and Australia would like to give life a try in Melbourne. I've heard the weather's really nice there!!! (remember I am from Edinburgh!).
I think I will rent out my property in Edinburgh in the short term as a security measure just in case I encounter problems in Oz but would appreciate any advice or information that could help me prepare for the move.

Regards,

James

Old Sep 10th 2002, 1:11 am
Claudio Falcao

Default Re: "local" knowledge in job market

Hi Mate,

As far as I could understand, the "local experience" most employers will ask you of
is about having already worked in Oz before. In the development area there are
really some "local SW packages" like MyOb which is an accounting SW (I know it
exists in USA but in Oz it seems like it's a bit different because of the GST and
other Ozzie tax stuff).

Cheers,

Claudio