The Local

Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:54 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Local

Right, once you've got all of the little things like finding a house and transporting you stuff over from the UK sorted out, there will eventually come the time when you will have to get down to the important stuff and find yourself a local.

This can be daunting when moving house within the UK, overseas however this can be an even more tricky affair so I thought of starting this thread to help make the process easier for those who will be facing this task here in Australia.

I will start with a few words from my experiences. I had a good local back in england, one with a big screen for sports, two decent pool tables, good range of beers/cider/guinness on tap etc and a first class beer garden. All this and the fact that my mates were there too made it a home away from home. Whilst one would be hard pushed to hit something of this quality at first attempt, and others here may laugh heartily at your efforts to find a local, as they did to me ("you'll never find a local over here, it's not the same drinking/social culture as england you know" they said) with a little research and first hand trials of a few establishments, you could possibly be pleasently surprised.

The first area in which I lived over here was in the Bairnsdale region. In this area, unfortunaelty I had no water holes within walking distance, and a taxi to/from town was $15 each way so I plumped for mainly drinking at the local RSL, mainly as they were the only place that had satellite TV on the big screens there, and reasonably priced beer. This would not be classed as a 'local' though, as it is really a member's club. There were a few pubs in the area, and the only one that came close to being a local for me was the Imperial Hotel, mainly due to the eccentric rants of the two brother's who own the place making for a lively debate of somekind or other whenever I were to visit.

I also lived in the eastern suburbs of melbourne for a few months last year, and established myself at Mr Mundy's Tavern in Vermont south. This has sadly now closed though and is due to be demolished and flats be put on the site. A sad day for all in the local area really, as the only alternative place is the Burvale Hotel, which is a bit of a rough old joint.

In the area where I now live, I visited the pubs in the area a few times and have decided my local will be the one on the Dandenong road. Although the average age of the drinker's inside are somewhat older than me, and the TAB seems to have rough mafioso type characters chain-smoking on cigars and speaking gruff italian dialect, the staff are friendly enough and they even put a special poster up at the spot where I stand at the bar taunting me about England's expected loss in the upcoming Ashes series.

So my fellow forum members, specifically the ones of you who, like me have experience in finding yourself a local here in Australia - What are have your experiences been and what advice can we give to help those moving out here in the coming weeks, months and years to help them with this most important of tasks??

NJJ
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:29 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Local

Originally Posted by NJJ
So my fellow forum members, specifically the ones of you who, like me have experience in finding yourself a local here in Australia - What are have your experiences been and what advice can we give to help those moving out here in the coming weeks, months and years to help them with this most important of tasks??
NJJ
All I can say is good luck The 'local' isn't really an Aussie thing any more, and probably never was in the British sense. Aussies (at least not the ones I know) tend not to have a local. It may be different on the East Coast, but in WA the suburban hotels are dying .... except in places that are full of British immigrants
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:43 am
Badge

We have a pub set on a vineyard which is 3km from the house - but still inside the village. (We live out on the Western edge of it). It has sun decks looking out over the vines and the valley. It has a large dining area and 2 bars. One is like a local with a log fire.

I also drink at the fire station after training with the blokes and girls there - a buck twenty a bottle. Low alchohol for obvious reasons - Friday nights is 'Choir Practise' at the station and the older blokes meet there. I was tickled pink to get my first 'invite' if only because the captain wanted a word.

The other pub is in Berwick - used to be across the road from my rental - which has a wood fire and is as close to any British pub probably as I have found - also has a great dining area.

Badge

Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:47 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
All I can say is good luck The 'local' isn't really an Aussie thing any more, and probably never was in the British sense. Aussies (at least not the ones I know) tend not to have a local. It may be different on the East Coast, but in WA the suburban hotels are dying .... except in places that are full of British immigrants

Yes it sounds like it is different in the west.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:49 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Badge
We have a pub set on a vineyard which is 3km from the house - but still inside the village. (We live out on the Western edge of it). It has sun decks looking out over the vines and the valley. It has a large dining area and 2 bars.

Badge

Sounds a bit posh but it is probably quite a relaxing place to go on a summer evening.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ

NJJ
Yeah, I was thinking about a 'local' the other day. I've got mates visiting soon, and I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't really checked out any of the local pubs. I mean, there's even an Irish bar near to me that I've never been in (and I'm Northern Irish).

It just seems too much hassle, when I can sit out in the back garden in the sunshine, by the pool with a few beers, why walk 15 minutes to a bar.

But obviously I have to check out the local bars in the next few weeks, don't want to seem like a lammo when the lads visit and I can't recommend a few locals.

JTL
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:00 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I moved into a street that had a pub at the top of the road - took the legwork outta choosing a local. It's all about the stumbling distance home.

Originally Posted by NJJ

NJJ
Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:52 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

But obviously I have to check out the local bars in the next few weeks, don't want to seem like a lammo when the lads visit and I can't recommend a few locals.

JTL

Good luck to you. Hope you find a nice boozer.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:52 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I moved into a street that had a pub at the top of the road - took the legwork outta choosing a local. It's all about the stumbling distance home.

That's the way!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but the suburbs that have a high % of 'poms' usually don't have the proper pubs....
Around where we are there's lots(ok, don't know how alike they are to the British ones, but close if I read NJJ's description), like the 'Paddo', the Oxford, Herdsman Tavern etc etc.

Anyway, can't join this discussion any further, local pubs aren't normal at all in The Netherlands, and we don't go often at all here either.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:52 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simone
Yeah, but the suburbs that have a high % of 'poms' usually don't have the proper pubs....
Around where we are there's lots(ok, don't know how alike they are to the British ones, but close if I read NJJ's description), like the 'Paddo', the Oxford, Herdsman Tavern etc etc..
Don't know about the Herdsman (I haven't been there for about 15 years - at least) but the others are all pretty much inner city. I guess it depends on your definition of a local, but these places aren't the type where regulars prop up the bar every night of the week - with the possible exception of the Paddo. I've seen a few old blokes who seem to be there every time I go, which isn't often.

I'm probably out of line talking about the 'British migrant' suburbs, as I very rarely go to them, but pubs like the Hillarys Tavern seem to have a very high English accent ratio! I assume the Whitfords etc are similar. I haven't visited Rockingham for about 20 years but I'd imagine the pubs down there are pretty popular with expats.

Last edited by Soi Oz; Jul 20th 2005 at 3:58 am.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the Herdsman (I haven't been there for about 15 years - at least) but the others are all pretty much inner city. I guess it depends on your definition of a local, but these places aren't the type where regulars prop up the bar every nght of the week - with the possible exception of the Paddo. I've seen a few old blokes who seem to be there every time I go, which isn't often.

I'm probably out of line talking about the 'British migrant' suburbs, as I very rarely go to them, but pubs like the Hillarys Tavern seem to have a very high English accent ratio! I assume the Whitfords etc are similar. I haven't visited Rockingham for about 20 years but I'd imagine the pubs down there are similar.
Yes, true, probably the Breakwater Tavern in Hillary's.
And the Old Bailey(?) in Joondalup, where the famour PB(where are you.....!) used to hang out.

Yeah, see, as I said, don't really know the definition of a local, and don't know the pubs that well either....!! I'm outta here(again!)
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Yes, true, probably the Breakwater Tavern in Hillary's.
And the Old Bailey(?) in Joondalup, where the famour PB(where are you.....!) used to hang out.

Yeah, see, as I said, don't really know the definition of a local, and don't know the pubs that well either....!! I'm outta here(again!)
The Whitfords Sea Sports Club in Ocean Reef is the local to a lot of locals in Ocean Reef.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:05 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
The Whitfords Sea Sports Club in Ocean Reef is the local to a lot of locals in Ocean Reef.
Is it any good though Dan?

I guess I'll have to go and see....