Wikiposts

Lleyton Hewitt

Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:25 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lleyton Hewitt

I really wanted Roddick to win the semi-final, he's my favourite current player.

Must admit I get caught up in Henmania, Wimbledon is my favourite tennis tournament and it would just be so good to have a Brit win it, but he's just not up to it and will never do it!!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Is he from SA, your right those white South Africans can be a bit racist. l don't think they have fully gotten over the old apartide system.
Its good that we have finally both agreed on something.

He's from Adelaide

Another humour bypass I know, but why stick it to South Africans when hes one of your countrymen?

JTL
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Says on the three web-sites I turned up in Google in about 5 seconds flat that Henman was born in Oxford, England. Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant though, eh.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few observations:

I thought Hewitt was very subdued for much of the match and seemed to be trying to win over the Aussie public who don't like him.

The crowd was strangely subdued for much of the match but that was in part due to a realisation when Safin hit form that he was going to win. I couldn't imagine some of the crowd at Wimbledon shouting for 'Henmania' to be toned down - the Fanatics were asked to shut up by Aussies in the crowd.

Hewitt would not be in the top 20 purely based on his technique. Henman is technically far superior to Hewitt for example. However, he usually has an unquenchable determination to win and I for one admire him for that. OK, his gestures can be over the top but that is how the guy fires himself up. 'He can be annoying but he's one of ours' is how a former player put it.

Safin deserved to win, particularly after beating (an injured) Federer and then Hewitt. No one will beat Federer when he is fit and in the mood. Roddick is an extremely likeable player but until he develops a better double handed backhand and learns how to volley he will not win a major - particularly with the likes of Federer and Safin around. Henman will never win a major because he isn't tough enough mentally and he is past 30 now.

I thought Hewitt and Safin gave excellent after match speeches and there was a lot of mutual respect between them (and Hewitt and Roddick and Safin and Federer in the semis).

Beck might look like Lleyton but Klijsters was more so! I hope she isn't a quick 'Kim replacement'!

Alicia Molik has shown tremendous improvement and I couldn't help thinking when Davenport caved in against Williams that she would have put up a better fight. She did well to win the doubles (with Kuznetsova) and Draper and Stosur won the mixed; so with Hewitt in the final and record attendances and TV audiences and so many memorable matches, it was a terrific 2005 Australian Open.

I too look forward to the Ashes (still chuckling at someone saying they would be the closet Ashes). It should be more competitive than of late and it will be interesting to see how England do against a strong Test side (SA, WI and NZ with due respect aren't the calibre of Aust, India or Pakistan).

Just a final thought. If the umpire tells spectators off for talking during a rally why is Sharapova allowed to shout so loud when at other times she can play silently? Which reminds me about Peter Ustinov's comment about Monica Seles who previously was the loudest shouter. 'I'd hate to be in the room next door on her wedding night'.

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:56 pm

Take your point about Henman, but wasnt Agassi over 30 last time he won Wimbledon??

A thought on the crowd - if it's anything like Wimbledon then a lot of the final's tickets get swallowed up by corporates therefore the actual "fans" dont get much of a look in. Does the same happen in Oz? Would seem strange otherwise as there was a lot of support for Hewitt in the semi-final.

I hope Roddick does improve his game as he's got a lot of talent, plus (in the words of Tim Nice-but-Dim) he's a bloody nice bloke!!

And not bad eye candy either...
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Take your point about Henman, but wasnt Agassi over 30 last time he won Wimbledon??

A thought on the crowd - if it's anything like Wimbledon then a lot of the final's tickets get swallowed up by corporates therefore the actual "fans" dont get much of a look in. Does the same happen in Oz? Would seem strange otherwise as there was a lot of support for Hewitt in the semi-final.

I hope Roddick does improve his game as he's got a lot of talent, plus (in the words of Tim Nice-but-Dim) he's a bloody nice bloke!!

And not bad eye candy either...
Agassi was in his 20's when he won Wimbledon but he has won other Grand Slams in his 30's eg Australia. The big difference is that Henman is a serve-volleyer whereas Agassi is a baseliner (with the most exceptional hand eye co-ordination). Once you get past 30 you are that split second slower on volleying so that is why I don't think Tim has a realistic chance at Wimbledon now. With a favourable draw he will get to the last 8 or maybe 4 but will come up short again unfortunately.

Tickets for the Australian Open go more to 'punters' because they are predominantly sold through ticket agencies on a first come first served basis. Wimbledon tickets are distributed mainly by ballot to LTA members and through clubs and more do tend to end up in corporate hands. The interesting thing with the Australian Open is how so many people of a particular nationality can get seats together when one of their countrymen/women is playing eg rows of Swedes when Johannsen played, all the Fanatics together.

The only time I went to Wimbledon I managed to get some prime seats on centre court at the opposite end to the Royal Box where all the old players sit. Imagine my great delight when Mr and Mrs OzT found they were seated next to Mr and Mrs Ken Rosewall.

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:42 pm

i'm hoping to go to Wimbledon this year for the first time - it's something I've been wanting to do for years and every year I say "Next year I'm going" but it never happens. Hopefully we will be in Oz next year so really it's my last chance!!!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just a few observations:

I thought Hewitt was very subdued for much of the match and seemed to be trying to win over the Aussie public who don't like him.

The crowd was strangely subdued for much of the match but that was in part due to a realisation when Safin hit form that he was going to win. I couldn't imagine some of the crowd at Wimbledon shouting for 'Henmania' to be toned down - the Fanatics were asked to shut up by Aussies in the crowd.

Hewitt would not be in the top 20 purely based on his technique. Henman is technically far superior to Hewitt for example. However, he usually has an unquenchable determination to win and I for one admire him for that. OK, his gestures can be over the top but that is how the guy fires himself up. 'He can be annoying but he's one of ours' is how a former player put it.

Safin deserved to win, particularly after beating (an injured) Federer and then Hewitt. No one will beat Federer when he is fit and in the mood. Roddick is an extremely likeable player but until he develops a better double handed backhand and learns how to volley he will not win a major - particularly with the likes of Federer and Safin around. Henman will never win a major because he isn't tough enough mentally and he is past 30 now.

I thought Hewitt and Safin gave excellent after match speeches and there was a lot of mutual respect between them (and Hewitt and Roddick and Safin and Federer in the semis).

Beck might look like Lleyton but Klijsters was more so! I hope she isn't a quick 'Kim replacement'!

Alicia Molik has shown tremendous improvement and I couldn't help thinking when Davenport caved in against Williams that she would have put up a better fight. She did well to win the doubles (with Kuznetsova) and Draper and Stosur won the mixed; so with Hewitt in the final and record attendances and TV audiences and so many memorable matches, it was a terrific 2005 Australian Open.

I too look forward to the Ashes (still chuckling at someone saying they would be the closet Ashes). It should be more competitive than of late and it will be interesting to see how England do against a strong Test side (SA, WI and NZ with due respect aren't the calibre of Aust, India or Pakistan).

Just a final thought. If the umpire tells spectators off for talking during a rally why is Sharapova allowed to shout so loud when at other times she can play silently? Which reminds me about Peter Ustinov's comment about Monica Seles who previously was the loudest shouter. 'I'd hate to be in the room next door on her wedding night'.

OzTennis
Well since all recent previous Ashes series have been slaughters there is a very high chance this will be the closet ones for years - With respect until recently S Africa were rated number 2 in the rankings until England replaced them and we've beaten Pakistan Home and away in the last 2 series against them - India granted are tough at home but not so strong away
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:04 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

There's no doubting that the Oz team are the finest in the world, but I think everyone's hoping that the Ashes are at least a contest this time round.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
There's no doubting that the Oz team are the finest in the world, but I think everyone's hoping that the Ashes are at least a contest this time round.
I dont dispute that Australia are the best side - just dont think it will be the usual walk in the park!!!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
Well since all recent previous Ashes series have been slaughters there is a very high chance this will be the closet ones for years - With respect until recently S Africa were rated number 2 in the rankings until England replaced them and we've beaten Pakistan Home and away in the last 2 series against them - India granted are tough at home but not so strong away
SA have slipped to at least 5th (from memory). However, you are right, England should be more competitive than at any time in the last 20 years. It will be interesting to see how the 'next Donald Bradman', Michael Clarke does. As if Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Gilchrist and Martyn weren't enough to worry about, along comes Clarke. Personally I can't see anyone bowling them out twice for few enough runs on more than one or two occasions but hope springs eternal!

OzTennis
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
SA have slipped to at least 5th (from memory). However, you are right, England should be more competitive than at any time in the last 20 years. It will be interesting to see how the 'next Donald Bradman', Michael Clarke does. As if Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Gilchrist and Martyn weren't enough to worry about, along comes Clarke. Personally I can't see anyone bowling them out twice for few enough runs on more than one or two occasions but hope springs eternal!

OzTennis
Who said anything bout bowling them out 2wice - I'm hanging out for loads of rain and 5 draws!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Says on the three web-sites I turned up in Google in about 5 seconds flat that Henman was born in Oxford, England. Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant though, eh.
errr, I was talking about Hewitt refer to my previous posts. It helps if you include a quote from the post you are replying to so we know who or what your complaining about.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

I like Lleyton. The crowd are divided because they prefer easy to like nice guys like Pat Rafter and Ian Thorpe. Hewitt's on court antics aren't pretty.

I admire him because he's a fighter, he's tenacious and he's passionate about playing for his country. Pitched against bigger, stronger players he's in with a shot as he's a great retriever. He's always gracious in defeat.

C'mon Lleyton, there are loads of us wanting you to reclaim Wimbledon.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 3:40 am

I was very impressed by the way he fought back after losing the first set in the semis.

Was very unimpressed that Roddick went off court to change his t-shirt though - where's the fun in that!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.