Living and working in Karratha

Living and working in Karratha

Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

taff-scaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and working in Karratha

Hi all,

Looking for some help and advice

I have a potential job offer on the Pluto LNG plant, I am waiting for the full offer terms and conditions etc.... to come through, I just wanted to try and get a feel for the place and to try and make my mind up should I take the job on Bachelor status or bring my family with me from Ireland.

What is Karratha like for a family ?
What facilities are there in the town ?
Is there much to do in the surrounding area ?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:40 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Re: Living and working in Karratha

I know a few people working on Pluto but none with families so I can't help you on that front. I'm pretty sure that if you are single status then you won't get a home, i.e you'll live in a camp, but you may be entitled if you share with other single status workers, but this all depends on what is agreed prior to starting. I imagine it would be very hard to be there without your family close by and I would give serious thought to doing this, but it depends on your circumstances.

In regards to Karratha, there will be a lot of information on the web, and you can even check the Woodside website, but you can expect quite a few facilities to live something resembling a normal life considering that Woodside and several other companies have their workers based in Karratha. In terms of activities, if you enjoy the outdoors, i.e. fishing, diving etc. then you'll enjoy yourself. I would expect there to be numerous social activities on a regular basis. At the end of the day, it comes down to what Ts&Cs you agree to prior to starting.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taff-scaff
Hi all,

I have a potential job offer on the Pluto LNG plant, I am waiting for the full offer terms and conditions etc.... to come through, I just wanted to try and get a feel for the place and to try and make my mind up should I take the job on Bachelor status or bring my family with me from Ireland.

Thanks in advance
Stick Karratha in the search box top page yellow line.

Not a great place for a family. Hot isolated rough mining town, thats the partners view he worked there for a spell years ago. Someone else may love it of course.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Stick Karratha in the search box top page yellow line.

Not a great place for a family. Hot isolated rough mining town, thats the partners view he worked there for a spell years ago. Someone else may love it of course.
Very expensive to rent if your family comes over - I suppose about $1500 a WEEK for an average house !!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:19 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Very expensive to rent if your family comes over - I suppose about $1500 a WEEK for an average house !!
That makes Sydney look cheap!!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
And it would be very average - anything decent goes for silly money.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Karratha is about to go into boom mode, so hopefully facilities and infrastructure should improve - but don't hold your breath.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a family and dont fancy living in Karatha due to expense and heat. Some of the mine and other Pilbara worker have their family living in places closer to Perth like Geraldton. Rents are cheaper and they just fly in and out.

Thats one other option.

Gems
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I have a potential job offer on the Pluto LNG plant, I am waiting for the full offer terms and conditions etc.... to come through,
Consider carefully the visa they offer ... permanent or temporary?

I just wanted to try and get a feel for the place and to try and make my mind up should I take the job on Bachelor status or bring my family with me from Ireland.
Are you seriously contemplating leaving your family so far away?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:37 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And it would be very average - anything decent goes for silly money.
It's been in boom mode for many years already so their facilities are quite established.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:38 am
can't lose the tie

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Karratha is about to go into boom mode, so hopefully facilities and infrastructure should improve - but don't hold your breath.
It's been in boom mode for many years already so facilities are quite established.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mecheng
It's been in boom mode for many years already so facilities are quite established.
Yeah, there's a Coles AND a Video Easy
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Consider carefully the visa they offer ... permanent or temporary?

Are you seriously contemplating leaving your family so far away?
Yes, I know it would be pretty sad to leave the family behind, living in Ireland I have had to spend the majority of life working away or overseas, so I was hoping to take this position and spend 6 months there first then look at bringing my family out with a view of emigrating, so its a good point about the visa, I will need to get more advise, we are only in early talks at the moment, we have not got to the salary or package as yet. Thanks very much for your help.........
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mecheng
I know a few people working on Pluto but none with families so I can't help you on that front. I'm pretty sure that if you are single status then you won't get a home, i.e you'll live in a camp, but you may be entitled if you share with other single status workers, but this all depends on what is agreed prior to starting. I imagine it would be very hard to be there without your family close by and I would give serious thought to doing this, but it depends on your circumstances.

In regards to Karratha, there will be a lot of information on the web, and you can even check the Woodside website, but you can expect quite a few facilities to live something resembling a normal life considering that Woodside and several other companies have their workers based in Karratha. In terms of activities, if you enjoy the outdoors, i.e. fishing, diving etc. then you'll enjoy yourself. I would expect there to be numerous social activities on a regular basis. At the end of the day, it comes down to what Ts&Cs you agree to prior to starting.
Thanks mecheng, I will bear this in mind when negotiating the contract, i have found some websites regarding Karratha and I have picked up a fair bit of information from them.

Its the detail things that you cannot get on websites, you can only get from people who have been there and done it.....

Thanks very much, any other info would be gratefully appreciated......
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gems
If you have a family and dont fancy living in Karatha due to expense and heat. Some of the mine and other Pilbara worker have their family living in places closer to Perth like Geraldton. Rents are cheaper and they just fly in and out.

Thats one other option.

Gems
Thanks Gems,

This one option we are looking at is for me to spend the first 6 months up in Karratha and then bring my family over and get a place within an hours commuting distance of Perth, then FIFO for the remainder of the contract, I am looking for any help at all regarding visas, and what to ask for ? can I ask for a permanent visa ?

We looked at a place called Butler on the web, which seems quite nice ?

thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.