Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living and Working in Australia All You Need to Know for Starting a New Life "Down Un

Living and Working in Australia All You Need to Know for Starting a New Life "Down Un

Old May 23rd 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Living and Working in Australia All You Need to Know for Starting a New Life "Down Un

Living and Working in Australia All You Need to Know for Starting a New Life "Down Under

Has anyone read this book and if so is it worth buying?Living and Working in Australia All You Need to Know for Starting a New Life "Down Under
Old May 23rd 2003, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

gb004965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Books

We have living and working in Australia - a survival handbook by David Hampshire and this is a pretty good and honest reference book, covering getting a visa, education, health, finance etc, probably worth a read.
Old May 23rd 2003, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty more books to choose from as well as maps etc. at www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/books.php

Also worth a look,

Getting into Australia: The Complete Immigration Guide to Gaining Your Visa

Living & Working In Australia

Getting A Job In Australia

Live and Work in Australia & New Zealand

Culture Shock! Australia: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette

Living and Working in Australia - David Hampshire

Dangerous Creatures of Australia

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 2nd 2003 at 3:05 pm.
Old May 24th 2003, 2:50 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

We bought them all.... :-) They're kinda useful. Perhaps. But the best book we've got is our Lonely Planet.
Old May 24th 2003, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I bought the David Hampshire book too, it's an easy read and the cartoons are good! But some of the details are out-of-date already. I like the Lonely Planet series too, covers your own region. I found though that I got just as much information from this discussion board. Why not go down to your local library and borrow some books (try before you buy if you like)? I never had the chance to read the Culture Shock series of books, just wondered if anyone else read one and if it would be any good to recommend for those moving out here?
Old May 24th 2003, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Redback is an unknown quantity at this point

Culture Shock series of books, just wondered if anyone else read one and if it would be any good to recommend for those moving out here
They are good books to read. But I will read anything.
Old May 24th 2003, 7:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
I bought the David Hampshire book too, it's an easy read and the cartoons are good! But some of the details are out-of-date already. I like the Lonely Planet series too, covers your own region. I found though that I got just as much information from this discussion board. Why not go down to your local library and borrow some books (try before you buy if you like)? I never had the chance to read the Culture Shock series of books, just wondered if anyone else read one and if it would be any good to recommend for those moving out here?

Culture Shock - Australia

Still wetting myself on this book....I was back in April 2003 UK, Gran bought the book for us, we moved April 2002, she liked it!!! (PB must have been a contributor and in general he has a joking point!!!).

This site has the most useful relevant points I have ever read, positive and negative. And excellent links posted by all.

Best point made earlier...borrow these books from library but do not buy Culture Shock Australia.

Cheers
Old May 24th 2003, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Redback is an unknown quantity at this point

Best point made earlier...borrow these books from library but do not buy Culture Shock Australia
Sandra did you mean DO buy culture shock.