Reload this Page >

Living in Townsville

Living in Townsville

Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:48 pm
Banned

Aashiq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling from Townsville

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
If you like pubs Townsville is your boy !
Haha... Nah... Strange but I do not drink!!!! Thanks anyway
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by elliemcglinn
Well it depends a lot on the offer you got in the UK.
Well money wise no question I will earn far more in TV than in UK... But my mindset is will that be worth it in the middle of nowhere? Or am I being naive... Not sure
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:52 pm
Banned

Default Re: Living in Townsville

Originally Posted by Wombatz
We lived in Townsville for almost 2 years, and it felt isolated to us at times, especially during the wet when it was cut off from the highways and supplies couldn't get through. Also I felt it was not like a big(ger) city but a large village, then again it was 5 years ago might be different now.

Lifestyle is good, the Strand is great, beautiful winters but didn't like the wet season, too humid for us, and the mozzies, and distances to a major city. Positive is not many traffic jams, nice estates and no (real) winter.

I'd also buy or rent a house with pool, we had one and you really need it and can use it most times of the year.
Good points... Thanks.. Have lived in India previously so mozzies not a concern... It's the distances that worry me!!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason there seem to be a lot of questions asked about Townsville but few answers at present, so i've merged several threads together - might help some of the recent questioners
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:37 am
Just Joined

torface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aashiq
Thank u both for ur replies.... Yes got a good offer with govt... Over 200k .... Does Townsville feel isolated... A friend in Darwin old me he feels locked in sometimes.
I wouldn't use the words "isolated" or "lonely" because Townsville has everything you need. I've been here for 2.5 years now and have never needed to go anywhere for anything. In my opinion "isolated" would be an outback town with one shop...

However, that said, I do get frustrated that if you want a "quick getaway", Airlie Beach and Cairns are your only options. And once you've done those 10 times, you crave something different and I hate the fact that you have to fly to anywhere else.

It's also frustrating that to get an international flight anywhere you have to fly to a major city, adding extra expense. I also recently had the problem that anywhere i wanted to go would mean spending a night in one of the cities because the flights don't link up. Which is not only another expense, but an extra day i would've had to take off work.

I often say that Townsville "has everything you need, but not everything you want"... I find that families with children do well here, but young couples like my partner and I find it pretty boring. Most of the young people we know that have grown up here have moved away to bigger cities for better opportunities....
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by torface
I wouldn't use the words "isolated" or "lonely" because Townsville has everything you need. I've been here for 2.5 years now and have never needed to go anywhere for anything. In my opinion "isolated" would be an outback town with one shop...

However, that said, I do get frustrated that if you want a "quick getaway", Airlie Beach and Cairns are your only options. And once you've done those 10 times, you crave something different and I hate the fact that you have to fly to anywhere else.

It's also frustrating that to get an international flight anywhere you have to fly to a major city, adding extra expense. I also recently had the problem that anywhere i wanted to go would mean spending a night in one of the cities because the flights don't link up. Which is not only another expense, but an extra day i would've had to take off work.

I often say that Townsville "has everything you need, but not everything you want"... I find that families with children do well here, but young couples like my partner and I find it pretty boring. Most of the young people we know that have grown up here have moved away to bigger cities for better opportunities....
Thanks torface

This is what worries me u see.. Having to spend a night elsewhere to get a flight out of the country.... Is this other people's experience as well
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks torface

This is what worries me u see.. Having to spend a night elsewhere to get a flight out of the country.... Is this other people's experience as well
It would depend on connections and where you wanted to go. Have a look at the Virgin Blue and Qantas websites, and see what flights there are that would link up with any international routings you would be likely to take.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Im excited about the move, the "isolation" doesnt worry me so much, ive been in NZ for two years so im kinda used to that LOL, its the heat that worries me! And whats the wildlife like? am i likely to get my leg gnored off my a croc or biten by a leathal snake...?

I mean it looks lovely, hot, nice beaches, great barrier and maggie island on the doorstep. I hope theres some kind of "scene" a place to meet people and have a laugh over some beers? 2 years in NZ and only a cpl of friends made through work. I'm hoping for a more active social life!

Originally Posted by torface

It's also frustrating that to get an international flight anywhere you have to fly to a major city, adding extra expense. I also recently had the problem that anywhere i wanted to go would mean spending a night in one of the cities because the flights don't link up. Which is not only another expense, but an extra day i would've had to take off work..

Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Im excited about the move, the "isolation" doesnt worry me so much, ive been in NZ for two years so im kinda used to that LOL, its the heat that worries me! And whats the wildlife like? am i likely to get my leg gnored off my a croc or biten by a leathal snake...?

I mean it looks lovely, hot, nice beaches, great barrier and maggie island on the doorstep. I hope theres some kind of "scene" a place to meet people and have a laugh over some beers? 2 years in NZ and only a cpl of friends made through work. I'm hoping for a more active social life!
LOL i doubt you'll see any crocs or snakes. With, the latter, if you do see one just give it a wide berth

The first snake i've seen in the 2.5 years ive been here was a 2.5m carpet python just chilling on the pavement the other day, it was pretty cool!

I actually work out in the bush and we rarely see snakes there either. They tend to slither off if they sense you coming.

Its the jelly fish you have to watch for i reckon.. Just make sure you swim in the nets in the summer.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks torface

As pollyana just said, it does depend on where you want to go. I was looking for a holiday destination to meet my family, but i was pretty limited due to this reason.

Flights to LA and Thailand link up well though
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Wombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant futureWombatz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shazmoo

Well, we only had one snake in our front yard and it was most probably a non-venemous one, but it was scary enough. That is why basically everyone keeps their lawn nice and short so they can't hide anywhere.

And regarding the crocs, they are around in the rivers around Townsville like the Bohle, and further up, and a few years ago they had a resident one at a water bunker on the golf course, don't ask me which hole, can't remember that anymore, but it was big news at the time with reporters from the BBC, CNN etc. in town.

And the mozzies can spread dengue fever, a friend of mine got it and was pretty bad.

But saying all that, if you take a certain level of care, use anti-repellent, don't have water puddles in your backyard, watch when you walk near rivers and keep your lawn short, you should be right

And Maggie Island is beautiful for a weekend break plus breakfast in the CBar at the Strand can't be beaten on a sunny morning
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:19 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks torface

No we managed to fly to the UK last Christmas Day with Etihad Airlines via Sydney without spending a night there.... but we did have 6 hours in Sydney airport on the way there, coming back was a much shorter transit time. Having the extra flight does unfortunately add quite a bit extra travel time and cost which I found frustrating.

I lived in Townsville for over 6 years and did thoroughly enjoy the first 3 or 4 years there. The winters are amazing and you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere with better weather. However the summers I hated for the last couple of years as by that time the novelty of the pool in the back garden etc had worn off and it does get extremely hot and humid. We've actually just re-located to Melbourne but I don't regret my time in Townsville at all. I made some friends for life there and also enjoyed visiting The Whitsundays, Mission Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas all of which are just a longish drive away. Magnetic Island is on your doorstep for a quick weekend away and it's gorgeous there
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:39 pm
Banned

Omaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: move to townsville?!?!

Originally Posted by ExSmoggie
Don't do it! I lived there for about 9 months when I was 25/26 and it wasn't my cup of tea at all! I found the heat and humidity oppressive, I hated the fact that you can't really escape the place unless you fly off somewhere or are prepared to drive for 3 or 4 hrs plus. The shopping centres are crap! They are spread out and all have pretty much the same poor selection of shops in each. There is no real town centre, rent/house prices are high (driven up my army and mining demand), you can't swim in the sea in summer (same as anywhere in the tropics) and there is a ridiculous number of un-coordinated traffic lights!! I appreciate non in themselves are reasons not to move there but little things that start to annoy when you can't escape!

However, I think at your age, your experience in a new place is largely influenced by people you meet etc. If you are lucky to meet a large group of like minded people, you could have a great time anywhere!

I have been of erred a job in TV and a similar job in Perth. Posts like this make me veer towards Perth? Is this a rational decision?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:40 pm
Banned

Omaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Offered
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

JenKnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicolalj

we are moving to townsville in december and we are just worried what its going to be like after reading reviews on here?

from looking at your threads you are living in there now just wondering if you could tell me what you think?

we are a married couple with a dog 28/31

thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.