Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Townsville

Living in Townsville

Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Townsville????

Originally Posted by Nicolalj
It should be heating up there now.

Nicola
Got that right...its definitely heating up. Days are up around 29-30C and nights are warm too...we've started turning the fan on....no air con yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Good luck finding a place and your life here in sunny and warm Townsville
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:59 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Re: move to townsville?!?!

Originally Posted by paularn
Been in Townsville for the past 18 months (hubby is from Charters Towers/Townsville). Weather is a huge plus for living here...especially in the winter....beautiful sunny days that are 25C. One of my major complaints is that to go anywhere out of Australia you have to fly to a major city ie. Brisbane/Sydney first...so adds to travel time and cost. We are here for the long haul, both of us in good jobs and our daughter has settled in well and within the next few months we are going to start building our own home. I have no major complaints living here.
Good read, from both sides of the fence. Clearly Townsville is not for everyone, like any other town/city. Each to their own. Thats what we call diversity, right.

My family and I are considering a move to Townsville from Melbourne and will be going up in new year for another good look around. This time focusing on houses, schools, jobs etc. I will blog as and when it happens.

Ecto.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
Good read, from both sides of the fence. Clearly Townsville is not for everyone, like any other town/city. Each to their own. Thats what we call diversity, right.

My family and I are considering a move to Townsville from Melbourne and will be going up in new year for another good look around. This time focusing on houses, schools, jobs etc. I will blog as and when it happens.

Ecto.
Looking forward to your blog.

As per this thread, some people like the place but many others do not. It is no coincidence that the people who like the place, are actually living there... whilst those who have visited/passed through/lived there for a short period, aren't exactly full of praise for Townsville..... make of that what you will !

I was in townsville only a couple of weeks ago, for work. My observations, predictably, fall into that latter group:

- It is a very dry, dusty place. A local told me that Townsville is where the outback meets the sea.
- There are 4 "precincts" in townsville that have the bars and restaurants. Flinders st East, the strand, palmer st, and one other that I've forgotten. These parts of the city are very different from the rest of Townsville.
- Townsville is an industrial town. Coal, minerals and commodities leave via the port. The roads are full of trucks, trailers, utes, prime movers, large pieces of machinery in transit. There are also a few cars thrown in for good measure.
- Driving through Townsville, you could be forgiven for thinking that a local by-law requires residents to store at least one old wreck in their garden, but preferably a variety of rusting items of junk such as car bodies, steel frames, boat hulls, and assorted pieces of obsolete heavy machinery.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:54 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Townsville does have some good comedy moments though...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/t...-1226185883087
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:49 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen nothing so far to warrant a negative judgement - it is just another town, which is actually rather reassuring. People are really, really nice - and that is not derogatory, just an observation of there being no malice.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

see here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737835
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:37 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

People are prone to taking things quite literally here. Someone probably mentioned they had a toy boy and an entrepreneur saw it as a marketing idea. Good job they didn't hear the other conversation, about the other sort of toys. Would you go on that machine? What would you do if you won - casually tuck it under your arm and walk away, or would you go ready prepared with a brown paper bag. Imagine the embarrassment of meeting a friend in town, if you were carrying an empty brown paper bag - "we all know where you are going". Probably not a good marketing idea.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...ok, I have lived here just over 6yrs, when we arrived it was quite a small Township, in comparison to Uk ones...but we loved it, we were greeted by most with open arms. Now Townsville is expanding and you know what, its still a fabulous place to be. I have 3 children and all love it here, when we visit the UK they immediately say how grumpy people are there and how much they miss Townsville.
Cyclones are an inevitability, and if you do your homework and you prepare then you should be fine...its not all year round...and the council have a great warning system in place for residents.
Summers are hot and sticky, but we have aircon and a swimming pool (as do many families) and we are now pretty used to it.
As many have said before, our winters are fantastic, rarely goes higher than 27c and the air is just lovely and fresh.
I got asked why on earth I was moving here in 2005 by a colleague who had past through when she was a teenager.....she was now in her 40's! Back then there was no strand or anything really.
Townsville is up and coming and in my opinion a fabulous to raise a family, but also if you want to go out and party there are heaps of places to go and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
This place feels safe to me and my family and definitely alot friendlier than many of the Towns or Cities I have lived in whilst in the UK.
Just wanted to give you a personal opinion from one who has lived here a while.

Cheers

Trish
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

RedRidingHood is an unknown quantity at this point

Love this thread and particularly the photos DrDan! I met Snappy in some SA forums so love her updates too.

Thanks guys
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

I was shown this by one of my nursing students...it is her son! my belly hurt from laughing so much
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:08 am
Just Joined

ordinaru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Townsville anyone?

Hi,
I have been accepted for a Masters' program at James Cook University. However, I can not afford to support myself on my savings, only the the tuition fee which I have to pay upfront. In this conditions, I would like to know, if there's work available for a student in Townsville (full time), in order to survive, and what would be the amount necessary per week?
Thank you!

Last edited by ordinaru; Jul 2nd 2012 at 6:13 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Townsville anyone?

Originally Posted by ordinaru
Hi,
I have been accepted for a Masters' program at James Cook University. However, I can not afford to support myself on my savings, only the the tuition fee which I have to pay upfront. In this conditions, I would like to know, if there's work available for a student in Townsville (full time), in order to survive, and what would be the amount necessary per week?
Thank you!
Are you on a student visa? If so, are you aware there are restrictions on the hours you can work?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:52 am
Just Joined

I have PR, so there shouldn't be a problem with the hours. The question is, are there any jobs available in Townsville, hospitality/retail/office?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:19 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

We can offer you a job picking mangoes, but it's only for 6 weeks in November and December.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:27 am
Just Joined

I have sent you a PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.