Living in Tasmania

Living in Tasmania

Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

LUKEMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Tasmania

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum , myself and hubby live in NZ
he has been offered a job in Tasmania so we hope to hear soon about our visa, we have been to Oz a few times but not Tasmania : can anybody give us any advice on Tas the goods and bads , we don't want to make another mistake like living in NZ. Any advice and info would be welcome - cheers
Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Tasmania

Hi there, welcome to the Aus boards I've shifted you to the Aus forum, more useful and you 'should' get more info. I suggest you do a search in the meantime though, Tassie comes up fairly often.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi Lukeman

Not been on this forum in AGES!

We are currently in Tasmania, we live in the Derwent Valley and have been here for around 3 and half years.

Tassie is going through a bit of a rough ride at the moment, there has been lots of cuts by the government to scrape back some heavy spending last year. Forestry being Tasmania's biggest industry is getting a bashing, the Greens want to totally stop hard wood logging. People are losing their jobs left right and centre in the industry. I have to say, we are actually thinking of leaving because of all this, and I know plenty more Tasmanians that are thinking the same. I've never seen so many Garage sale notices going up saying 'moving to the mainland, everything must go'.

On the plus side though if it weren't for all this we would probably stay, I absolutely love it here. It's beautiful and the pace of life is relaxed, most of the people are really friendly. It's brilliant for bringing up young kids, crime is low and there are so many wide open spaces to enjoy. We live in a semi-rural area with 10 acres around us, the view from our property is AMAZING! It's sooo quiet at night you can actually hear the roo's jumping around on the lawn when the tv is off. At night it is pitch black, there is no light pollution, so if your a bit of a star gazer it's perfect for that. There are loads of rivers and lakes for boating/fishing. Plenty of mountains for hikers, amazing surf for surfers. The Royal Hobart Hospital has a fantastic kids ward, I myself gave birth to twins at the Royal and cannot sing it's praises high enough. One of the twins had a foot condition (club foot) and it has all been treated at the Royal free of charge. She is going to need physio and close consultation until she is 4 and possibly even after that. All her treatment has been free of charge.

If you have teenagers, i can see them being a bit bored. I don't think Tassie has much to offer the teens and young adults to be honest. Unless they are the sporty type, then there really isn't much for them here.

I hope I've covered everything for you, if there is anything in particular you wanted to know ask away!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi Thank you so much for replying - it really helped.We are due to get to Tasmania in September time. We will give it a try we have jobs sorted and a 4yr visa so fingers crossed we like it.There are only 2 of us and our little dog so all being well things should be ok , once again Cheers ! hope whatever you want to do works out well for you.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:53 am
Just Joined

coxsp is an unknown quantity at this point

I am moving to Tasmania too and we now with 3 weeks to go. London to Geeveston is going to be a rather large jump.

After living in London for the past 14 years, we are eagerly awaiting our new life in Tasmania.

Tasmania has so much potential its mind boggling. There appears to be a local mindset that is against maximising its potential, however this mindset is changing with people who are starting to tap this potential. There is a good article in the Mercury about renovating Hobart CBD. I do believe that with time, Tasmania will grow into a very desirable state, especially due to the way of life that it affords.

There is a good dvd series that I was recommended called Gourmet Farmer. You can get it online easy enough. The guy appears to be a bit up himself, but he showcases Tasmania pretty well. Although I'm sure everyone isn't that friendly unless you have TV camera and huge wad of cash.

I think Tasmania probably has a closer fit with NZ than it would with mainland Australia as it suffers similar issues of geographic isolation and issues with small demand for goods and services (which makes them expensive).

However, IMO, compared to mainland Australia, the quality of life is much better as the weather isn't as severe, the land/water/air is less polluted and those that move and stay there do so because they love it and want to share the place with people who feel the same. It's the other half of the people who either are ambivalent or don't like the isolation that you need to stay away from.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi , Good luck with the move to Tasmania - I looked where youre going and it looks nice, hope all goes well for you. We are off in a few weeks to North , I am originally from the North of England - so I will be a Northerner again !! in launceston.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Tasmania IT is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=coxsp;9560099]
Tasmania has so much potential its mind boggling. There appears to be a local mindset that is against maximising its potential

An accurate statement would be that there are some very different views within the State about what 'maximising its potential' would mean. There are people who think that quadrupling the population of Tasmania to 2 million people is a critical part of the State's future. There are others who think that this would inevitably spoil everything that is unique about the island.

Many people have very strongly held views about the nature of development and industry that is desirable for Tasmania. Often the two extremes in any discussion shout over each other and any opinions from near the middle ground don't get heard.

I think that a very valuable thing that new arrivals to the state can do is to contribute views to this debate which are not based on received dogma. And if you are able to do that without coming across as a know-all blow-in then you will have done well
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Tasmania IT is right about the local mindset against maximizing potential. It may be just me, but I don't see Tasmania moving forward any time soon. When ever someone wants to build something to give employment other than tourism it is met with a barrage of protesters. Tourism alone will not bring Tassie to the fore. Other than Forestry there is really no other real big employers.

I have many ideas on starting a small business, but am too scared to commit, because if there is no money coming into the island, we will lose everything. I wonder how many other people feel the same? My OH job is reliant on the Forest industry, I wouldn't mind but it was the Tasmanian Gov that nominated him to come out and work. And now they are slowly phasing it out! We kinda feel a bit stuck, we love it here don't get me wrong. But with 3 kids to clothe and feed, the mainland is our only option I can see, sadly. And there is definitely NO way we will be going back to old Blighty, that I am certain of!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coxsp View Post
I am moving to Tasmania too and we now with 3 weeks to go. London to Geeveston is going to be a rather large jump.

Hi - what is taking you to Geeveston? I lived near there for a few years (still trying to sell our home there - Castle Forbs Bay) we had to move back to W.A. for Hubby's work.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

coxsp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teabag View Post
Hi - what is taking you to Geeveston? I lived near there for a few years (still trying to sell our home there - Castle Forbs Bay) we had to move back to W.A. for Hubby's work.
We've bought a house/land package in Geeveston and we were looking for a change from London. We're both now working through the employment market to try and find jobs.

Just like Kezzabird, I've got some ideas about starting up small businesses. I'm more inclined to try and start up a business that services both local and interstate markets (or international markets if possible). Tasmania is a beautiful place, but employment is likely to remain tight for the forseeable future.

With less than 2 weeks to go, I'm eager to get out of London and start working on our new life, with or without jobs.

Teabag, did you like living at Castle Forbes Bay? The area looks stunning although a little remote.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coxsp View Post

Teabag, did you like living at Castle Forbes Bay? The area looks stunning although a little remote.
That's an interesting observation considering you are buying in Geeveston.

Castle Forbes Bay is halfway between Huonville and Geeveston, so a bit closer to a decent supermarket, restaurants and other things that Huonville can offer - Geeveston is very limited, but the Sushi shop there is brilliant!