Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Tasmania

Living in Tasmania

Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

pepsoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Tasmania

My partner and I have started to look into the possibility of emigrating to Tasmania (we now live in Worcester, England). It's the merest seed of an idea so far, so we're just starting on researching the place, but can anyone offer any advice on what it's like as a place to live?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

CheekyWeetus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living in Tasmania

Originally Posted by pepsoid
My partner and I have started to look into the possibility of emigrating to Tasmania (we now live in Worcester, England). It's the merest seed of an idea so far, so we're just starting on researching the place, but can anyone offer any advice on what it's like as a place to live?

Thanks in advance!
Of all the places I have spent time in Australia I think Tassie is most similar to the UK in terms of environment. Lovely green hills, comfortable climate and rain, plenty of rain. It does tend to exhibit four distinct seasons, as opposed to some places in australia that only have two (wet and dry).

I spent 4 years in Launceston, to the north, which is a quiet little town at the end of the river tamar (recognise names yet?) and has some very pretty parks, easy access to the coutryside and minimal bities and hurties.

Hobart is one of my favorite places in the world. It has a lovely olde worlde feel to it with an active pub scene and some real character.

People in tassie are extremely friendly. Its often thought of (in australia at least) as being perhaps a bit behind the times, some people actually like this however. No matter how you name it, Tassie definitely enjoys a relaxed pace of life.

Some of the best camping and hiking I have ever done was in Tassie. The overland track which takes you through some beautiful back country gives some exposure to some breathtaking sights. Bruny island, south of hobart was simply the most amazing camping trip I ever had.

Tassie also has a recognised ski season, but it is a bit like skiing in scotland so dont get too excited. Still, when its on your doorstep, why not?

The west side of the island is probably the most remote, I have only been to the northwest corner and it reminded me a lot of coastal Wales.

To drive from Launceston to Hobart used to take about 2.5 hours or so, but I am sure there is a better grade of freeway now. there is a fanatical cop about half way that hides behind a tree to catch unsuspecting speeders...trust me, he is still there.

In tassie the only choice you will be under pressure to make is whether you are a Boags man, or a Cascade man. There is no wrong answer to this, as long as you pick Cascade.

Not sure about currently, but Tassie used to have a high lvl of unemployment, principally because everybody wanted to log trees, which the state government started legisating heavily. Tassie, politically used to be the "greenest" state.

chuck a google search together, there is plenty around out there as Tassie has a healthy tourism industry.

Good luck, hope this helps some.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance!

Oooh this is a good one for Possums - she is going to Tassie - watch out for her!!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:54 pm
aussie73

Thanks in advance!
In my opinion it has the best scenery of any state in OZ. In terms of the green landscape and cool climate its similar to Britain. It has colds winters snows in some places and mild summers very few hot days usually in the mid 20 c still warm enough to go swimming. Its a great place if you like the outdoors, bushwalking, fishing, camping etc. Half the state is national Parks and it has plenty of spectacular forests, mountains and rivers and well as a ruggard unspoilt coastline. It has little pollution and the cleanist air in the world. However because of the small population it has higher unemployment then the mainland however the cost of housing is cheaper.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

pjr55 will become famous soon enough

Thanks in advance!
I've lived in Aus for 32 years, the last 10 years in Tasmania, I dont post on the forum, if you'd like send me a PM and I'll answer any questions I'm able to.
cheers
pjr55
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:39 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Oooh this is a good one for Possums - she is going to Tassie - watch out for her!!
Cheeky mare

Hi yes we are emigrating to Tasmania. We have only visited for a couple of weeks before so I wont be able to answer as many questions as the others, just wanted to say hi.

All I can say is we fell in love with the place, and there seems to be plenty of work for my partners trade carpenter/joiner. We currently live in the peak district and scenically its very similar, with a bit of the scottish highlands thrown in.

Two other forum users have gone out and found work straight away in different fields.

Unsure about the house prices being cheaper I've noticed a big rise since we started the process however they may still be cheaper than the mainland.

Dont know if this website is of any use to you.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

Possoms
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by possoms
Cheeky mare
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Bloody hell I cant keep up with you
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:05 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Had a cousin who lived there for many years...she's back home now (n.wales)...home from home she reckons..
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by possoms
Cheeky mare

Hi yes we are emigrating to Tasmania. We have only visited for a couple of weeks before so I wont be able to answer as many questions as the others, just wanted to say hi.

All I can say is we fell in love with the place, and there seems to be plenty of work for my partners trade carpenter/joiner. We currently live in the peak district and scenically its very similar, with a bit of the scottish highlands thrown in.

Two other forum users have gone out and found work straight away in different fields.

Unsure about the house prices being cheaper I've noticed a big rise since we started the process however they may still be cheaper than the mainland.

Dont know if this website is of any use to you.

http://www.discovertasmania.com/

Possoms
Hiya possoms glad to hear your visa application has moved along like you we too are moving to taz but unlike yourselves we have not been where are you hoping to settle and is there anywhere you could reco mmend especially for employment purposes i am a plumber.cheers crozz
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

We too have had a peek at Tasmania since we went to the Sandown show. The thing that puts us off is the unemployment. I am hoping to go as a Fitter and Truner, anyone know how they fare out there?
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:47 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Thanks in advance!

Taz of tazmania!

Is all I have to say!

Noticed a jobs for cummins there the other day, working on diesel engines, so there are a few jobs.

Bye
mark
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by crozz
Hiya possoms glad to hear your visa application has moved along like you we too are moving to taz but unlike yourselves we have not been where are you hoping to settle and is there anywhere you could reco mmend especially for employment purposes i am a plumber.cheers crozz
Sorry cant recommend. all I can say is the webbs have just moved out there and he is a plumber and has found work straight away. You could pm him.

follow the link to his profile

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=32798

He dosn't post often but I am sure he will reply to any questions you have.

Good luck

Possoms
Old Aug 6th 2005, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Scottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the roughScottie2hottie is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Living in Tasmania

Hi Pepsoid

My family and I are hoping to move to Tassie. It's beautiful.
Where abouts in Worcs are you from? I was born there, and most of my family still live there. Small world eh!
Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Last time I was in Oz, a Australian business colleage I met there said there can be quite high UV light levels in Tassie due to the enlarged hole in the Antarctic ozone layer. Therefore, young or fair-skinned people are advised to wear sunscreen when outside when these conditions apply, or risk premature skin aging or worse, e.g. melanoma.

A rather dense technical report is here => http://www.rpdc.tas.gov.au/soer/atm/1/issue/5/index.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.