Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Sydney's Climate - What is it Like?

Living in Sydney's Climate - What is it Like?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Default Living in Sydney's Climate - What is it Like?

I know what the figures say - temperatures, rainfall, sunshine hours - and I've even lived in Sydney for half a year. But, from a subjective point of view, living in Sydney for over a full year how do people find the weather? Is it ever oppressive? Do you find it's not as good as people or you expected? Is it perfect? I know that it doesn't exactly have the standard winter/spring/summer/autumn so I'm struggling to get my head around what the weather would actually feel like being there year round and if my expectations are too high. Does it "feel" like it's just always sunny and nice weather? Or is it like being in the UK where you look forward to the summer and wish away the winter months? Or even the complete opposite with an unbearable summer that makes you look forward to a cooler time of year? Like a lot of people contemplating emigration, climate is a big factor for me so I'm curious of peoples opinions after moving there and not just the figures.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Sydney's Climate - What is it Like?

Originally Posted by simonfiction
Or is it like being in the UK where you look forward to the summer and wish away the winter months? Or even the complete opposite with an unbearable summer that makes you look forward to a cooler time of year?
I reckon that living in a southern Australian city is exactly like living in any temperate region. People in Sydney look forward to summer or warmer months because they carry longer days and the associations with summer - Christmas, summer holidays. No more cold dark evenings.

If there is a difference the tail end of summer can be dreaded - it can be in Melbourne especially too and that is supposed to be 'cold'. In Australian southern cities people love Autumn and before the days draw in because they enjoy a respite from the heat. Whilst Autumn can be beautiful in the UK, I don't think I have ever heard a UK person say that they are glad summer is over - quite the opposite, especially if they feel they have been short-changed.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:05 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I reckon that living in a southern Australian city is exactly like living in any temperate region. People in Sydney look forward to summer or warmer months because they carry longer days and the associations with summer - Christmas, summer holidays. No more cold dark evenings.

If there is a difference the tail end of summer can be dreaded - it can be in Melbourne especially too and that is supposed to be 'cold'. In Australian southern cities people love Autumn and before the days draw in because they enjoy a respite from the heat. Whilst Autumn can be beautiful in the UK, I don't think I have ever heard a UK person say that they are glad summer is over - quite the opposite, especially if they feel they have been short-changed.
I have to agree. Autumn and spring are my fav seasons in OZ. Summer heat here can be just too damn oppressive (tho I don't think sydney gets the really high summer temps other places do) , and winter, well I think we all grizzle about that one sometime no matter where we live in this world.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:40 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

When you're looking at climate charts, you have to factor in the fact that a lot of houses have no/little insulation, no double-glazing, no heating, maybe even no aircon.

I moved here via SE Asia, where it's constantly hot and sweaty so I am used to heat, and - based on 2 winters and this being my second summer - I struggle with the heat about 1-2 weeks a year (sleeping - thank goodness for my portable evaporative cooler!) and I struggle with about 6 months a year because I am utterly, bitterly, cold.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:19 am
ABCDiamond

I had no problems in Sydney, I lived in Western Sydney, but then... I did run the air con 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:04 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I had no problems in Sydney, I lived in Western Sydney, but then... I did run the air con 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
My colleague, North West Sydney born and bred, is off sick today with heat rash. Guess he doesn't have aircon.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I have to agree. Autumn and spring are my fav seasons in OZ. Summer heat here can be just too damn oppressive (tho I don't think sydney gets the really high summer temps other places do) , and winter, well I think we all grizzle about that one sometime no matter where we live in this world.
Winter is an issue for many in the entire temperate region. It's either too cold, too wet, or too dark. At the end of the day, people have never liked winter. People like it when they can venture out into it - and treat it as a plaything. And consider the situation in the house:

Originally Posted by Seasider
When you're looking at climate charts, you have to factor in the fact that a lot of houses have no/little insulation, no double-glazing, no heating, maybe even no aircon.
That old chestnut...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:37 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
That old chestnut...
You deny it needs taking into account?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't have thought so, really.

If you find yourself living in a climate where the houses are colder than you expected, wouldn't you just buy a heater?

Anyway, after 30 years of living in Sydney I think the weather on the whole is great. I love the summer - rarely gets too hot where I am near the beach. It also (more importantly) never has 10 day long heatwaves like poor Adelaide. It warms up over 3-4 days and then there's always a cool change to bring the temperatures down. Oppressive? Definitely not - it's not Darwin.

Spring and Autumn are lovely. Never need to wear a coat - not even in Winter.

The only thing I find is that each winter appearsto be cooler than the last. Mind you, that could just be me getting older - not climate change. My perfect life would be summer in Sydney and winter in Port Douglas.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:21 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Why caint they have a proper climit - wiv proper duble glazin, proper steam eatin wat yer can use year round like it were bark 'ome.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:34 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by NickyC
Wouldn't have thought so, really.

If you find yourself living in a climate where the houses are colder than you expected, wouldn't you just buy a heater?

Anyway, after 30 years of living in Sydney I think the weather on the whole is great. I love the summer - rarely gets too hot where I am near the beach. It also (more importantly) never has 10 day long heatwaves like poor Adelaide. It warms up over 3-4 days and then there's always a cool change to bring the temperatures down. Oppressive? Definitely not - it's not Darwin.

Spring and Autumn are lovely. Never need to wear a coat - not even in Winter.

The only thing I find is that each winter appearsto be cooler than the last. Mind you, that could just be me getting older - not climate change. My perfect life would be summer in Sydney and winter in Port Douglas.
Oh yes, we bought 3 heaters as soon as we arrived, but the OP was referring to climate charts. IME 14C in Europe is a lot more comfortable than 14C in Oz.

I'm a hot house flower, Nicky - don't think I'll be giving away my coats. (Not helped by thyroid.)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:35 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Why caint they have a proper climit - wiv proper duble glazin, proper steam eatin wat yer can use year round like it were bark 'ome.
Are you unwell, Will? You've gone all Dick Van Dyke.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:50 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

A Yank - probably suffered from over heated house wonky thermostat syndrome too.

Australian thermometers are calibrated using the same standard as European thermometers.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not sure what you mean - you should! People freeze in Australian homes in winter - by all accounts.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds more like a Northerner to me.

Originally Posted by NickyC
It also (more importantly) never has 10 day long heatwaves like poor Adelaide. It warms up over 3-4 days and then there's always a cool change to bring the temperatures down. Oppressive? Definitely not - it's not Darwin.
Funny how people pick on Melbourne. The 4 seasons is often nothing but that same change coming through and you don't hear many complaints either. And it does get bloody hot, more like 3 days rather than say a wole week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.