Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Sydney

Living in Sydney

Old Aug 6th 2003, 11:04 am
AkramSMG

Default Living in Sydney

How much it will cost me to live in Sydney monthly?
I'll rent a house
just to know the average

Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Sydney

Originally posted by AkramSMG
How much it will cost me to live in Sydney monthly?
I'll rent a house
just to know the average
Sorry you need to say where in Sydney and what size house! There are lots about try the on line newspapers and rental agencies for aus will give you a better idea.

Basically anywhere from $400 to 2500 and higher per week at a guess for a decent three bed - depend on where you want. I paid $680 a week for a five bed wooden shack - glad to be in a warmer brick (single skinned) now.

Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandra
Sorry you need to say where in Sydney and what size house! There are lots about try the on line newspapers and rental agencies for aus will give you a better idea.

Basically anywhere from $400 to 2500 and higher per week at a guess for a decent three bed - depend on where you want. I paid $680 a week for a five bed wooden shack - glad to be in a warmer brick (single skinned) now.

Cheers
sandra, whats your view on which are the better suburbs 10-15 mins in land from the northern beaches. House rents looked pretty reasonable to me I thought.

cheers

James
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:09 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by james & bev
sandra, whats your view on which are the better suburbs 10-15 mins in land from the northern beaches. House rents looked pretty reasonable to me I thought.

cheers

James
Best Burbs! The one I live in St Ives 20 mins in car to Mona Vale

Seriously Northern Beaches are brilliant - whereabouts are you looking - do you have to travel in to Sydney for work? Fancy living out a bit more?. For a general view follow the Northern Line up on the train and pick any one. Beware rentals are cheaper at the moment cause of the glut cause the house prices are so dear (no I know it does not make sense but to buy in the area where we rented cost us an arm and a leg! Bigger mortage than UK).

Any places in mind? Any considerations, kids, family, work, - ask on here cause there are a few people around on this site that know of different areas and we will all say they are good. Need some Southern Sydnites to shout about Cronulla etc. Mandy Bale can give you the high lights of the hills (north but further inland).

Let me know

Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Best Burbs! The one I live in St Ives 20 mins in car to Mona Vale

Seriously Northern Beaches are brilliant - whereabouts are you looking - do you have to travel in to Sydney for work? Fancy living out a bit more?. For a general view follow the Northern Line up on the train and pick any one. Beware rentals are cheaper at the moment cause of the glut cause the house prices are so dear (no I know it does not make sense but to buy in the area where we rented cost us an arm and a leg! Bigger mortage than UK).

Any places in mind? Any considerations, kids, family, work, - ask on here cause there are a few people around on this site that know of different areas and we will all say they are good. Need some Southern Sydnites to shout about Cronulla etc. Mandy Bale can give you the high lights of the hills (north but further inland).

Let me know

Cheers
thanks Sandra, were travelling out mid/end of sept staying with family in homebush initially. We have a 4 year old boy, and will be working in North Ryde. We want to rent for 3-6 months find our feet before buying. We fancy living out a little bit want a new house (no apartment) sick of having old ones here and all the dust and cleaning. Want to pay no more than $750 a week if poss.

thanks

james
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Need to get Mandy on the site to let you know about the new areas around about the Hills district. New towards the coast is more expensive. To Rent 700 per week doesn't sound out of league. Husband knows way to North Ryde but he is in bed ? Strange cause it is only 2.45 am here! I think you should be looking for a drive to work from Gordon on up. Pymble, Killara all very very nice. Have a look at Mona Vale too and Narabeen (those two are more on the coast) but drivable to North Ryde, cause of the Mona Vale Road.

Rentals here are advertised per week with the local agencies - you just walk in and get the latest sheet they have and have a look see - and you mustn't offer what they want to start, it is a renters market at the moment. Try the LJ Hooker site and possibly contact them direct, also pick an area and search for local estate agents and see if they cane help. Seriously thought though if you have family to stay with come over first, we had 6 weeks in a furnished rental in Hornsby before we got the rental (timed it to coincide with furniture arriving).

Four year old...perfect age! Not like the whingy 10 and 13 year olds I have...only joking.

Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:41 pm
AkramSMG

Cheers
Its just my wife and me
and how much living costs there?